Help. 91 Accord - 4 Oil Pan gaskets in 7 months!

Old March 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Mike

Default Help. 91 Accord - 4 Oil Pan gaskets in 7 months!

1991 Honda Accord EXR 4 dr

September 2004 I had a hole in my oil pan so I brought it into my dealer
(up until now their service has been very good). They replaced the oil pan
and gasket.

In October 2004 I developed a major oil leak. The dealer said it was a
defective gasket and replaced it, no charge.

In November 2004 I developed another major oil leak. The dealer said it
was another defective gasket and replaced it no charge. I asked for
financial compensation and they said they don't do that and gave me a $65
credit on my account. They said this time it will not leak!!

In December 2004 I had a fuel line leak (unrelated to the oil leaks),
however they noticed that there was a small oil leak at the balance shaft
seal, oil pump ring. I then took the car to my new mechanic who fixed the
gas leak for $50 instead of $800 as quoted by the dealer. The new mechanic
said the new oil leak was not serious and did not have to be dealt with.
It was just a small leak and was not dripping.

This week (March 2005) I developed another major oil leak. I brought it to
my new mechanic who said it was the oil pan gasket again! He also noticed
that they had used silicone all around the gasket and that is why it was
leaking!! I then brought it back to the dealer for another free
replacement.

The dealer replaced the gasket again. They admitted that when they changed
it in November that they did use silicone all around the gasket, but that
the reason that it started leaking is that the oil dripping down from the
balance shaft seal, oil pump ring managed to eat away at the neoprene seal
and that until I fixed the other leak at the oil pump seal, which is very
minor, the gasket would continue to fail. So the oil inside the oil pan
would not affect the seal, but a minor leak on the outside would??? When I
pressed for financial compensation they said they would see what they
could do about going back to Honda for the first 2 defective seals
although now they are saying that the oil pump seal leak could have been
there in September although they only discovered in December. (Bulls**t!!)

This time when they changed the gasket they only put a bit of silicone on
the 4 corners.

My questions a
1) When they changed the gasket in November and put silicone on the whole
gasket, could this have caused problems?
2) Could a small oil leak in the oilpump seal, drip down onto the oil pan
gasket and cause the seal or silicone to deteriorate?

Any other comments, insight, suggestions much appreciated.
Old March 23rd 05, 02:35 PM
John Ings

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:48:26 -0500, Mike > wrote:

>My questions a
>1) When they changed the gasket in November and put silicone on the whole
>gasket, could this have caused problems?

I don't see how.

>2) Could a small oil leak in the oilpump seal, drip down onto the oil pan
>gasket and cause the seal or silicone to deteriorate?

No.

Don't go to dealers except for warranty work and parts.

Sometimes if the pan bolts are overtorqued it can pull the metal
around the bolt hole into a little hump that compromises the ability
of the pan gasket to seal. With the pan off, check the mating surface
with a straight-edge. If there are humps, carefully file them flat.

Where are you? Ottawa? Toronto?

Old March 23rd 05, 02:39 PM
Mike

I am located in Ottawa.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:52 PM
John Ings

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:39:13 -0500, Mike
> wrote:

>I am located in Ottawa.

Go he http://www.plus1performance.com

Pat will do right by you. It's a small shop in an obscure location,
but that's the best kind. Such places depend on word of mouth
recommendations from satisfied customers, they get no walk-in
business.

Old March 23rd 05, 05:46 PM
disallow

try PCV valve.

Old March 23rd 05, 05:59 PM
Mike

I have since found out that there is no probelm with the PCV valve and
their is no Blowby

Old March 23rd 05, 08:06 PM
Mista Bone

If the gasket failed because of oil contact, the whole motor would be
leaking ALL THE TIME.

Likely the mechanics are OVER tightening the oil pan bolts, crushing the
gasket and forcing it outward, causing the leaks.

newspsn3fa0vytlqrmb@michael...

Old March 23rd 05, 09:35 PM
disallow

weird, must be a bad install on the gasket then,
like the other suggested, maybe over torqued?

Old March 24th 05, 01:47 AM
Steppenwolf

I agree with John about the overtorquing, but not about filing the humps
off, as that would weaken (and maybe enlarge) the area that the bolts go
through the oil pan flange. I would suggest chucking a large punch
vertically in a vise, putting each of the mounting holes on top of it and
(carefully) tapping each one flat with a hammer until the area has the same
level surface as the area between each hole. Clean all of the area that the
gasket will rest on and reinstall, being careful not to overtorque, and to
work from each corner toward the middle when running the bolts up.

If overtorquing was the cause of the problem, when you remove the pan and
examine the old gasket, you can frequently see signs that the gasket is
thinner, or maybe even breached in the areas of the bolt holes.

Have the dealer remove the pan in your presence and look for these signs. If
they are present, suggest that they repair or replace the oil pan at their
expense, since this would be clear evidence of improper repairs.

Good luck.

Old March 24th 05, 02:37 AM
John Ings

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:47:06 -0500, "Steppenwolf"
> wrote:

>I agree with John about the overtorquing, but not about filing the humps
>off, as that would weaken (and maybe enlarge) the area that the bolts go
>through the oil pan flange. I would suggest chucking a large punch
>vertically in a vise, putting each of the mounting holes on top of it and
>(carefully) tapping each one flat with a hammer until the area has the same
>level surface as the area between each hole.

You misunderstand. The humps are in the block metal the pan is bolted
to. Overtorquing can literally pull the metal around the threads out
of the block a thou or so. It's not much, and only over an area about
twice the diameter of the bolt, but it's often the cause of mysterious
leakage.

>If overtorquing was the cause of the problem, when you remove the pan and
>examine the old gasket, you can frequently see signs that the gasket is
>thinner, or maybe even breached in the areas of the bolt holes.

Yes.

Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
2005 Accord ... Should I? DaveR Honda 21 February 10th 05 12:15 AM
Honda Accord Hybrid: Extd. Warrantee/Paint & fabric protection [email protected] Honda 3 January 13th 05 05:06 AM
Factors to consider when ordering Accord Hybrid? stillsman Honda 13 January 4th 05 05:56 AM
2003 Accord power lock problem Steve Driska Honda 0 September 26th 04 04:02 AM