Whoo Hoo! Broke thru' the 40mpg barrier in my 156 1.8TS

Old June 21st 08, 09:37 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

Default Whoo Hoo! Broke thru' the 40mpg barrier in my 156 1.8TS

Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......

549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up

Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel costs?
Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

Alan

Old June 21st 08, 10:40 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 09:37:18 +0100, "Alan Rogers"
> wrote:

>Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......
>
>549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up
>
>Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel costs?
>Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

Tee Hee..7 years *hard* driving (I'll refrain from mentioning my
average cruising speed) but, lets just say that there are no speed
cameras on my routes! 41mpg averaged over 7 years.

Ok diesel's a bit pricier now but there's no Miss Daisy in the back of
my car except when there's a fuel shortage on. However, my car's one
of those ones where there is only a slight benefit (5mpg) in driving
like a pussy. Because it's not one of the newer 210 hp ones, it
doesn't try to pour the entire contents of the fuel tank into the
engine on full throttle so I can drive enthusiastically without
worrying about fuel consumption. Alfa depreciation and
servicing/maintenance costs are what cause the hair to go white and
fall out..little else.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject will be auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old June 21st 08, 11:02 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

>>Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel costs?
>>Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

> Tee Hee..7 years *hard* driving (I'll refrain from mentioning my
> average cruising speed) but, lets just say that there are no speed
> cameras on my routes! 41mpg averaged over 7 years.
>
> Ok diesel's a bit pricier now but there's no Miss Daisy in the back of
> my car except when there's a fuel shortage on. However, my car's one
> of those ones where there is only a slight benefit (5mpg) in driving
> like a pussy.

Aye, my old girl will be gone before it's next tax renewal (May 09),
buggered if I'm paying £300. Just need to get the credit card down a bit
before I dive in for a GT 1.9, hoping to pick up a JTDm before the end of
the year.

The 156 will have to go before the masses realise how much they're going to
be paying in VED from next year. Not that a 2001 156 is worth that much
these days anyway, 100K on the clock, be lucky to see £1.5K

Bit of a dilemma though, it's due a cambelt at 108k, do I sell it before or
after? If 'after' that's £500 or so for the whole service that I'm not
going to get back on the sale value.....hmmmm

Alan

Old June 21st 08, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
> Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......
>
> 549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up
>
> Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel costs?
> Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

30mpg is good out of mine.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 21st 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

>> Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......
>>
>> 549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up
>>
>> Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel
>> costs? Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

> 30mpg is good out of mine.

2,5V6? I should say so.

Wonder if Mr Darling will give me a rebate if I promise to drive
economically? Fat chance!

Alan

Old June 21st 08, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Alan Rogers wrote:
>>> Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......
>>>
>>> 549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up
>>>
>>> Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel
>>> costs? Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

>> 30mpg is good out of mine.
>>

> 2,5V6? I should say so.

Self imposed rev limiter

> Wonder if Mr Darling will give me a rebate if I promise to drive
> economically? Fat chance!

*ding*

Old June 21st 08, 03:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Alan Rogers

> Aye, my old girl will be gone before it's next tax renewal (May 09),
> buggered if I'm paying £300. Just need to get the credit card down a bit
> before I dive in for a GT 1.9, hoping to pick up a JTDm before the end of
> the year.

Ohh heck, just seen this go on Auto Trader

http://tinyurl.com/5kexkh

If only I was in a position......

Alan

Old July 1st 08, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_3_]

"Alan Rogers" > wrote in message
> Fair enough, I had to drive like I had Miss Daisy in the back.......
>
> 549.4 miles, 61.09 litres to fill 'er up
>
> Anyone else driving more economically in these days of soaring fuel costs?
> Over £70 for a tank of petrol, dear God!

Drove my 2.0 JTS petrol down to Derby and back (something like 600 miles)
last year. Managed 49.9mpg. Just under 60mph all the way! Very boring, won't
do that again, but a good mpg figure! Demonstrates the improvements of the
JTS over the TS:

1.8TS - 40.8mpg
2.0JTS - 49.9mpg

Whoo Hoo! Seahag Jeep 1 November 15th 06 01:08 AM
Whoo Hooo! Got my first Quadratec catalog FrankW Jeep 0 June 3rd 05 01:11 PM
Glue for door vapor barrier Randolph Honda 10 March 28th 05 03:43 AM
For sale Brisbane: Cargo Barrier Laurie Mazda 0 November 7th 04 01:07 AM