Has anyone used non Michelin PAX tires and wheels on a Touring model?

Old October 4th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Has anyone used non Michelin PAX tires and wheels on a Touring model?

I want to use regular snow tires on my Odyssey Touring. My
understanding is that if I use the appropriate sized steel wheels with
the Honda OE pressure monitoring system and the same size tires as the
Odyssey EX-L (235x65x16) that there will not be any incompatibility
issues.

I realize that I will lose the run-flat capability of the PAX system
but are there any other issues? Like mounting? As far as I can tell
the suspension including the hub is exactly the same on the Touring
and EX-L. The only differences are the shocks and springs have
different part numbers.

Honda NA says they don't "recommend it" and will refuse to tell me if
I can mount the other wheel (their refusal says that I can - in my
opinion. If they had a real reason they would state it.) Michelin
claims that I will void my vehicle warranty by doing so.

My local dealership thinks that it is possible but they have never
done this yet and they said there is NO warranty issues because I am
not "modifying" the car.

Some might say the Touring model was "tuned" for the PAX tire system -
maybe so. But for 3.5 months I think it's better to have the snow
tires than perfect tuning.

Old October 4th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elmo P. Shagnasty

In article . com>,
wrote:

> Some might say the Touring model was "tuned" for the PAX tire system -
> maybe so. But for 3.5 months I think it's better to have the snow
> tires than perfect tuning.

Which is EXACTLY why I would refuse to buy an Odyssey Touring model in
the US.

It's interesting to note that the Touring model in Canada does NOT have
PAX. Hmmmmm.

PAX uber-believers will come up with all kinds of reasons why
PAX--safety, convenience, etc. "Oh, but I don't want my wife and kids
waiting at the side of the road for a truck driver." Jesus. What
wimps. At least she has a cell phone and can safely call for help.

What these same fanboys refuse to acknowledge is that there is no one
single tire that's appropriate for all conditions, and that any
all-season tire is by definition a compromise. Further, there are
better makes/models of all-season tires than Michelin (I use Nokian WR).
But if I want the SAFEST tire, I will select a tire appropriate for
conditions. I want a WINTER tire in the winter.

And as you can see, even now 3-4 years later, Honda doesn't have any
mechanism to offer than on the Touring model. Their implementation of
PAX doesn't allow for it (and for all I know, Michelin doesn't allow for
it).

And PAX tires don't last particularly long and are very expensive to
replace. Unnecessarily expensive.

You know, a few years ago Honda put forth a new strategy whereby every
available safety feature would be installed into every car, from the
lowliest Fit/Civic on up to the biggest Acura RL. No more would the
newest or more advanced safety features be limited to the higher dollar
cars. If a safety feature was available at the time the car was
designed, it would be included in that car.

Safety for Everyone is the name of that campaign.

Honda then came out with the Odyssey Touring model in the US, and it has
PAX tires standard--while PAX isn't even *available* on any other model.

So to the PAX fanboys who insist it's a safety feature, I think we can
use Honda's own marketing strategies to say that PAX is not a safety
feature. If it were, it would be under the Safety for Everyone
umbrella, and all their cars would have PAX as standard equipment.

So not only does Honda say it's not a safety feature, the fact is that
it's not. If I'm driving in New Hampshire in February on PAX tires, the
Odyssey LX with real winter tires is much safer than I am.

PAX is ridiculous, and I expect that the next gen Odyssey--due out next
year, I believe, since the Accord it's based on is new this year--will
not see it as a standard feature, or possibly even an optional feature.

Yeah, I want an Odyssey with an electric tailgate. But if I have to get
PAX to get that, which is the case now, I simply won't. Oh, but I
really want an electric tailgate. Hmmmmm, Toyota makes a perfectly good
minivan.....

As much as I'm a big fan of Honda cars and vans, PAX turns me off to the
point where I'd go elsewhere just because of that.

Old October 6th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> I want to use regular snow tires on my Odyssey Touring. My
> understanding is that if I use the appropriate sized steel wheels with
> the Honda OE pressure monitoring system and the same size tires as the
> Odyssey EX-L (235x65x16) that there will not be any incompatibility
> issues.
>
> I realize that I will lose the run-flat capability of the PAX system
> but are there any other issues? Like mounting? As far as I can tell
> the suspension including the hub is exactly the same on the Touring
> and EX-L. The only differences are the shocks and springs have
> different part numbers.
>
> Honda NA says they don't "recommend it" and will refuse to tell me if
> I can mount the other wheel (their refusal says that I can - in my
> opinion. If they had a real reason they would state it.) Michelin
> claims that I will void my vehicle warranty by doing so.
>
> My local dealership thinks that it is possible but they have never
> done this yet and they said there is NO warranty issues because I am
> not "modifying" the car.
>
> Some might say the Touring model was "tuned" for the PAX tire system -
> maybe so. But for 3.5 months I think it's better to have the snow
> tires than perfect tuning.

it's a run-flat system isn't it? if so, how are you going to notice any
difference unless you have a blow-out? and i strongly doubt there's any
difference in "tuning" that would accommodate that system vs. a standard
tire.

bottom line, if it were my vehicle, i'd use standard tires.
Old October 9th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

There is a PAX snow tire. It's basically not worth it to switch the
tires on the same wheels though - would need four new wheels. The
Touring does have a few slight differences, Springs and sway bars as
compared to the EX-L but it is the same wheel hub. But I have found a
dealer in MA that is setting me up with some non-pax snows with the
TPMS etc.

Amazing that Honda NA would not help me out in the least. Michelin
told me that I would void my cars warranty by putting non-pax tires on
my car. Now how does the tire affect say ..... the emission system?
Total BS.

The whole PAX / non-PAX thing seems to be a religous war. I don't
care either way. I only use snow tires 3 months a year. I can't
justify the PAX cost. I have my own tire mounter and balancer and no
it does not do PAX tires. Having said all of that - I don't dislike
them. I driven on them for 5k so far and I kind of like them - just
the cost that seems insane.

On Oct 4, 5:52 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
> [...]

> umbrella, and all their cars would have PAX as standard equipment.
>
> So not only does Honda say it's not a safety feature, the fact is that
> it's not. If I'm driving in New Hampshire in February on PAX tires, the
> Odyssey LX with real winter tires is much safer than I am.
>
> PAX is ridiculous, and I expect that the next gen Odyssey--due out next
> year, I believe, since the Accord it's based on is new this year--will
> not see it as a standard feature, or possibly even an optional feature.
>
> Yeah, I want an Odyssey with an electric tailgate. But if I have to get
> PAX to get that, which is the case now, I simply won't. Oh, but I
> really want an electric tailgate. Hmmmmm, Toyota makes a perfectly good
> minivan.....
>
> As much as I'm a big fan of Honda cars and vans, PAX turns me off to the
> point where I'd go elsewhere just because of that.

Michelin metric wheels and tires Dick R. Ford Mustang 2 August 7th 07 04:45 PM
Michelin Tires Gummy Mummy Ford Explorer 10 March 8th 06 07:26 PM
Re Michelin Tires Technology 0 October 11th 05 11:56 PM
Michelin Tires Sean D Honda 3 October 11th 05 11:22 PM
Michelin tires and their problems RQ Chrysler 21 June 20th 05 02:14 PM