How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Old August 31st 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

Default Auto boxes

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:33:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>If it quacks like a duck it's a duck...

Ever try to eat a tape recorder? 8

-- Larry
Old August 31st 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_2_]

Default How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Yes. Usually I just seethe quitely and alone... :-)

DAS

---
> wrote in message
[...]
> Nit picking again - Sorry you don't usually.............
>
> Hugh

[...]

Old August 31st 07, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_2_]

And "quietly"...

DAS

---

Old August 31st 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:38:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>In article >,
> > wrote:
>> No Mark the weren't. They changed gear according to load and speed as do
>> the electronic versions but neither are AUTOMATIC as they rely on
>> outside influence to do it.

>> A time switch is automatic,

>It too relies on an outside influence. Someone to set it and something to
>drive it - electricity or clockwork, etc.
>
>> breathing is automatic.

>It's under the control of the brain. All sorts of bodily sensors 'feed'
>the brain which controls breathing.

There are quite a few at my school that bind brain functions difficult!

>Auto gearbox means it can operate without human control. Apart from
>selecting drive obviously. ;-)

Gosh - what an idea...........!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 1st 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >, pltrgyst
> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:33:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> > wrote:

> >If it quacks like a duck it's a duck...

> Ever try to eat a tape recorder? 8

I've got a Nagra SN which you just about could. ;-)

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 1st 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:18:08 -0400, Fred W >
wrote:

>Dean Dark wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:31:37 -0400, Fred W >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Copuld someone please start a new
>>>"alt.redundant-chatter-about-automatic-transmissions" newsgroup?

>> Why? Just set the thread to 'ignore' if you're not interested.
>>
>> Sheesh.

>It was a joke, Dan.

Same here.

SHEESH!
--
Dan.
Old September 1st 07, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:28 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:24:43 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

>>Snip
>>>>
>>> Er? I think that's basically what I was saying ------- wasn't it?

>>Er no you were saying that automatic boxes in 1956 were not worthy of the
>>appellation, when they were, albeit with hydraulic control systems rather
>>than electronic.

> No Mark the weren't. They changed gear according to load and speed as do
> the
> electronic versions but neither are AUTOMATIC as they rely on outside
> influence
> to do it.

In a manual box a human operates the clutch and importantly the gear level
to choose what gear to drive in and do so in a coordinated manner.

In an automatic the gearbox selects and changes gear automatically according
to the speed of the car. OK so the human has to decide whether to park,
drive forwards, reverse or just rev the engine in neutral, but for normal
driving a BW or GM 3 speed box would make a reasonable choice of gear
automatically for journeyies lasting hundreds of miles.

A time switch is automatic,

usually

breathing is automatic.

Usually, but you can exert manual control - useful when swimming if you
don't want lungs full of water.

> The first "auto" boxes arrived pre 50s and were the 2 speed powerglide I
> think.
> Did what it was supposed to change gear automatically.

Pre-selectors in the 30's IIRC

Old September 1st 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Doug Vetter

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:50:15 +0000, T_Diver wrote:
> Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car
> right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.

The ZF auto in the E90 is a phenomenal gearbox. It shifts silky smooth
in auto mode and is appropriately aggressive in manual mode. It even rev
matches (blips the throttle) on downshifts just like the SMG units. It's
the closest thing you can get to a manual without tossing the torque
converter, and I'd say it's appropriate for all but the most die-hard
enthusiasts and track junkies.

The only downside to a BMW auto is that you're on the hook for all
preventative maintenance from day 1 because BMW foolishly tries to sell
customers on the idea of "lifetime" fluid and doesn't include any tranny
service in their scheduled maintenance program. They simply expect you
to replace the tranny when it blows up. The fluid and filter in the auto
box MUST be changed every 30-40K -- regardless of what BMW or the dealer
says -- if you want to get more than 125K miles out of it. Also, if you
value the warranty you need to use the BMW-approved fluid. They can tell
if you don't.

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old September 2nd 07, 10:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 22:39:58 GMT, Doug Vetter > wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:50:15 +0000, T_Diver wrote:
>> Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car
>> right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.

>The ZF auto in the E90 is a phenomenal gearbox. It shifts silky smooth
>in auto mode and is appropriately aggressive in manual mode. It even rev
>matches (blips the throttle) on downshifts just like the SMG units. It's
>the closest thing you can get to a manual without tossing the torque
>converter, and I'd say it's appropriate for all but the most die-hard
>enthusiasts and track junkies.
>
>The only downside to a BMW auto is that you're on the hook for all
>preventative maintenance from day 1 because BMW foolishly tries to sell
>customers on the idea of "lifetime" fluid and doesn't include any tranny
>service in their scheduled maintenance program. They simply expect you
>to replace the tranny when it blows up. The fluid and filter in the auto
>box MUST be changed every 30-40K -- regardless of what BMW or the dealer
>says -- if you want to get more than 125K miles out of it. Also, if you
>value the warranty you need to use the BMW-approved fluid. They can tell
>if you don't.
>
>-Doug

I must disagree with you on the MUST or else at 30K as that could turn out to be
once a year for some folk. My E38 on the old box covered 193k without any
problems and I wouldn't say I nursed it as have many others.

My advice would be not MUST change the fluid but it might be ADVISABLE to
CONSIDER swapping the fluid and filter but maybe around the 80K - 90K.

Old September 2nd 07, 10:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Doug Vetter > wrote:
> The fluid and filter in the auto box MUST be changed every 30-40K --
> regardless of what BMW or the dealer says -- if you want to get more
> than 125K miles out of it.

Have you got any proof of this? Plenty say engine oil *must* be changed at
3000 miles. But they're wrong too.

Oils can be analysed for their condition. You'd need to do several
transmissions at 40k miles and find evidence of that ATF deteriorating to
be certain it needs changing. Otherwise stick to the maker's
recommendation of about 80,000. The ATF specified is expensive.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.