Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

Old December 20th 04, 05:24 AM
elmo

Default Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use mobil
1 on a "economical" car. Is it safe to switch back to dyno oil or will it
harm my engine?

thanks

Old December 20th 04, 05:31 AM
Steve T

elmo wrote:

> I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
> since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use
> mobil
> 1 on a "economical" car.

There is NEVER a "cost benifit" to using sythetic oil. I hope you haven't
been trying to go 15,000 between changes? Switching back and forth isn't a
good idea IMHO but if I was going to switch back, I'd change to dino oil
and then change it again in about 1000 miles to help "flush out" whatever
was left and then change every 3000 there after.
--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com
Old December 20th 04, 06:02 AM
AZGuy

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:21 -0800, "elmo" > wrote:

>I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
>since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use mobil
>1 on a "economical" car. Is it safe to switch back to dyno oil or will it
>harm my engine?
>
>thanks

Yes, it's perfectly safe to switch back (and forth again) if you want.
The oils are fully compatible with each other. If you change oil at
the usual too often intervals there is no real benefit to synthetic
except for really cold places if you have trouble cranking on regular
oil.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old December 20th 04, 12:29 PM
Michael Pardee

"elmo" > wrote in message
o.verio.net...
>I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
>since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use
>mobil 1 on a "economical" car. Is it safe to switch back to dyno oil or
>will it harm my engine?
>
> thanks

Maybe it's just that us AZ guys think alike, but the answer is "yes" - there
are no risks at all with switching from synthetic to dino oil. In older
cars, especially those with an uncertain oil change history or lots of hours
in hot environments (like Arizona, for example), switching from dino to
synthetic can dissolve deposits that old and hardened seals were depending
on. The affected seals can then leak - the same applies to using "engine
flush" products, as I found out the hard way when I was young and more
foolish.

Synthetic and dino are totally compatable, and blends are available. Some of
my friends use one quart of synthetic when they change their oil, and they
probably get most of the benefits of synthetic at a much lower price. In my
mind, the main value in synthetic is the much higher detergency. If oil
changes are kept up with dino oil, the engine itself stays clean inside, but
PCV passages and throttle bodies build up deposits that can be expected to
cause trouble eventually. In my 85 turbo Volvo, the turbo is still going
strong at 230K miles because of the regular oil changes, but I've had the
throttle body off for cleaning several times. I always have to use a drill
bit to clean the vacuum nipples when I wait more than a year or two. Last
year the actual hoses in the crankcase ventilation system plugged up with
deposits (these are like 3/8" hoses!) and I had to replace them. Lost 3
quarts of oil blown all over the engine when that happened on the freeway -
about a pint a minute. The Volvo gurus tell me these things don't happen
with synthetic.

Mike

Old December 20th 04, 01:14 PM
JP

No cost benefits? It depends. Changing oil less frequently when using
synthetic could be a cost benefit right there. If you live in a cold
climate, using synthetic makes startups easier on the engine, the starter
and the battery. 3 long term cost benefits right there. Wear and tear of the
engine is reduced. Another long term cost benefit. It has been my personnal
experience that gas mileage is better. My Chrysler minivan gave 27 mpg with
synt compared to 25 with dino. Another cost benefit. I once drove my minivan
a few hundred miles with an overheating engine caused by radiator that had
given its last breath. Kaput! I was in the middle of nowhere and had no
other choice but to keep driving. Arrived in Montréal area, I stopped at a
garage to have a new rad installed. The mechanic who did the work couldn't
understand how the engine was still running. Can you spell "cost benefit.?
And to answer you question, YES, it safe to switch back and forth.
JP

Old December 20th 04, 06:02 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:

> In older cars, especially those with an uncertain oil change history or
> lots of hours in hot environments (like Arizona, for example), switching
> from dino to synthetic can dissolve deposits that old and hardened seals
> were depending on. The affected seals can then leak

This nonsense has been around since the advent of synthetic auto engine
oil three decades ago. It wasn't true then, and it still isn't.

> In my mind, the main value in synthetic is the much higher detergency.

The only place synthetic oils have "higher detergency" is...in your mind.

Old December 20th 04, 06:04 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, elmo wrote:

> I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
> since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use
> mobil 1 on a "economical" car. Is it safe to switch back to dyno oil or
> will it harm my engine?

It's perfectly safe. You don't have to do anything special -- no "flush"
of any kind is needed. Just make sure to use an oil of the viscosity grade
and service rating called for in your owner's manual.

DS
Old December 20th 04, 06:13 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:02:47 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:
>
>> In older cars, especially those with an uncertain oil change history or
>> lots of hours in hot environments (like Arizona, for example), switching
>> from dino to synthetic can dissolve deposits that old and hardened seals
>> were depending on. The affected seals can then leak

>This nonsense has been around since the advent of synthetic auto engine
>oil three decades ago. It wasn't true then, and it still isn't.
>
>> In my mind, the main value in synthetic is the much higher detergency.

>The only place synthetic oils have "higher detergency" is...in your mind.

I use Castrol or Valvoline dino in my cars, change oil and filter (
Motorcraft Fl400-S) every 90 days or 3,000 miles, and have never had
an engine problem related to oil. n e v e r.

Go figure. If you want to spend the extra $ on synthetic, it's your
money, be my guest.

Lg

Old December 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Another Tom

>>If you change your oil every 3000 miles, synthetic would be a waste of
>>money.

3000 mile oil change? Talk about things that will never die.
Old December 20th 04, 09:03 PM
Viperkiller

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:24:21 -0800, "elmo" > wrote:

>I have a 99 Altima with 66,000 miles on it now. I've been using Mobil 1
>since 40,000 miles and to be frank I dont see the cost benifits to use mobil
>1 on a "economical" car. Is it safe to switch back to dyno oil or will it
>harm my engine?
>
>thanks

I've tried this on multiple times on multiple cars. I haven't been
able to find any negative effects going back to organic oil.