Hyundais as Dodges?

Old November 23rd 04, 10:41 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Default Hyundais as Dodges?

The recent thread on the Mexican-market Dodge Ram Durango had me over to
www.dodge.com.mx . Apparently they've got a new model called the "Verna".
The Verna greets us when the page comes up...

....replete with Hyundai badge in the middle of the grill. Wonder if this
is a Mexico-only marketing arrangement, or if DC, having failed to learn
the lessons presented by years of unholy alliance with Bitsu****ti, has
got in bed with Hyundai.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
Bill 2

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

> The recent thread on the Mexican-market Dodge Ram Durango had me over to
> www.dodge.com.mx . Apparently they've got a new model called the "Verna".
> The Verna greets us when the page comes up...
>
> ...replete with Hyundai badge in the middle of the grill. Wonder if this
> is a Mexico-only marketing arrangement, or if DC, having failed to learn
> the lessons presented by years of unholy alliance with Bitsu****ti, has
> got in bed with Hyundai.

They've been in bed with Hyundai for a while. There was(is?) some car
smaller than the Neon sold in Mexico, that is really a rebadged Hyundai.

The two are also working together on future models / platforms /
powertrains.

As well even when they were providing crap, Chrysler didn't cut ties with
Mitsubishi, so I doubt they've learned anything.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
Bill 2

Old November 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
Mike Behnke

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> The recent thread on the Mexican-market Dodge Ram Durango had me over to
> www.dodge.com.mx . Apparently they've got a new model called the "Verna".
> The Verna greets us when the page comes up...
>
> ...replete with Hyundai badge in the middle of the grill. Wonder if this
> is a Mexico-only marketing arrangement, or if DC, having failed to learn
> the lessons presented by years of unholy alliance with Bitsu****ti, has
> got in bed with Hyundai.

Mits, Hyundai and DC's Chrysler Group had agreed to manufacture
engines together under the "Global Engine Alliance LLC" banner back in
Feb 2003. The US plant, located in Dundee, Michigan, was to have
started ops in 2005. Chrysler backed out in May 2004, when it announced
it was to sell it's 10.5% stake in Hyundai.

Chysler still involved with Hyundai and Mits to produce the Hyundai
"World Engine" in Japan and the US. The engines look to be all aluminum
1.8, 2.0 and 2.4L I-4's. The 2.4L is also known as the "Theta" engine,
used in the Sonata. The engine family supposedly uses a Borg-Warner
timing chain setup.

The next generation Neon (2007) is rumored to use at least one of the
family. Mits will sell a version of the Neon, with different interior
and exterior, to s. America.
Old November 23rd 04, 11:32 PM
Mike Behnke

Old November 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:

> > The recent thread on the Mexican-market Dodge Ram Durango had me over
> > to www.dodge.com.mx . Apparently they've got a new model called the
> > "Verna". The Verna greets us when the page comes up... ...replete with
> > Hyundai badge in the middle of the grill. Wonder if this is a
> > Mexico-only marketing arrangement, or if DC, having failed to learn
> > the lessons presented by years of unholy alliance with Bitsu****ti,
> > has got in bed with Hyundai.

> They've been in bed with Hyundai for a while. There was(is?) some car
> smaller than the Neon sold in Mexico, that is really a rebadged Hyundai.

The Atos, yes.

> The two are also working together on future models / platforms /
> powertrains.

Oh, joy.

> As well even when they were providing crap, Chrysler didn't cut ties
> with Mitsubishi, so I doubt they've learned anything.

Looks like not.
Old November 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Bill 2 wrote:

> > The recent thread on the Mexican-market Dodge Ram Durango had me over
> > to www.dodge.com.mx . Apparently they've got a new model called the
> > "Verna". The Verna greets us when the page comes up... ...replete with
> > Hyundai badge in the middle of the grill. Wonder if this is a
> > Mexico-only marketing arrangement, or if DC, having failed to learn
> > the lessons presented by years of unholy alliance with Bitsu****ti,
> > has got in bed with Hyundai.

> They've been in bed with Hyundai for a while. There was(is?) some car
> smaller than the Neon sold in Mexico, that is really a rebadged Hyundai.

The Atos, yes.

> The two are also working together on future models / platforms /
> powertrains.

Oh, joy.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Behnke wrote:

> The next generation Neon (2007) is rumored to use at least one of the
> family. Mits will sell a version of the Neon, with different interior
> and exterior, to s. America.

....assuming Mitsubishi lasts that long.
Old November 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 24th 04, 12:07 AM
deadbeat

DC has the distribution rights for Hyundai in Mexico. Hyundai has not been
there that long, so they do not have a national office or distribution arm
setup. Only because DC was in bed with them, that they distribute them. But
since they sold out there stake, they might not be the distributor for
hyuindai's to soon in Mexico.