Heat problem...

Old August 3rd 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
djphild

Default Heat problem...

I have a '97 Plymouth Neon and the problem im having is this: when the
car is running the temperature gauge shows a normal temperature (about
40% up the gauge). However when i turn the car off and just turn on
the electical devices (where the radio and gauges work) after a few
minutes the temperature gauge starts rising up to about 80% of the
gauge. My coolant level is fine and the elec. fans are fine and
working. Is this abnormal? and what could be causing this???

please help,
Phil

Old August 3rd 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

djphild wrote:
> I have a '97 Plymouth Neon and the problem im having is this: when the
> car is running the temperature gauge shows a normal temperature (about
> 40% up the gauge). However when i turn the car off and just turn on
> the electical devices (where the radio and gauges work) after a few
> minutes the temperature gauge starts rising up to about 80% of the
> gauge. My coolant level is fine and the elec. fans are fine and
> working. Is this abnormal? and what could be causing this???
>
> please help,
> Phil

That actually sounds normal; without airflow through the radiator the
coolant will continue to take heat from the engine block and head but
won't be able to shed much to the atmosphere. Some cars have a feature
that allows the fan to continue running with the key off to help keep
things cool during this "heat soak" period, but i don't know enough
about Neons to say whether or not they have this capability or if so
where you might have a possibility of a failure that would prevent the
fan from running with the key off but not with the key on.

good luck,

nate

Old August 3rd 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
djphild

Much thanks Nate. Some other people told me the same thing, but they
werent sure. This news makes things a little more reassuring that
theres possibly nothing wrong with my car.

Thanks once again,
Phil

Old August 3rd 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 2 Aug 2006 19:58:45 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>djphild wrote:
>> I have a '97 Plymouth Neon and the problem im having is this: when the
>> car is running the temperature gauge shows a normal temperature (about
>> 40% up the gauge). However when i turn the car off and just turn on
>> the electical devices (where the radio and gauges work) after a few
>> minutes the temperature gauge starts rising up to about 80% of the
>> gauge. My coolant level is fine and the elec. fans are fine and
>> working. Is this abnormal? and what could be causing this???
>>
>> please help,
>> Phil

>That actually sounds normal; without airflow through the radiator the
>coolant will continue to take heat from the engine block and head but
>won't be able to shed much to the atmosphere.

This is why you sometimes see circle track cars boil over after the
feature race. As did mine last week!

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 3rd 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
djphild

So far from what ive been hearing, it sounds like my problem isnt much
of a problem at all. I just got worried cause 2 years ago, my engine
started overheating while driving and turned out that my head gasket
had given up allowing coolant and oil to mix and flow into the
radiator. Cost me much money to have it fixed.

I was wondering if there are any possible problems that might arise
from this heat soak process thats taking place in my car. Any known
problems that could arise??

djphild.

Old August 3rd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

sure. Basically the same problems that could occur if the engine
overheats while running; including (you saw this coming, didn't you) a
blown head gasket.

Now the question is, how hot is it really getting? If normal operating
temp is say 180F and you are seeing 210F on heat soak that is not a big
deal. The car can safely withstand 210F water temps all day while
driving; the only cause for concern in that situation would be that it
would indicate that the cooling system is marginal (because it would be
running at 30F over the thermostat opening temperature, which
theoretically shouldn't happen) and that a true overheating condition
could develop if cooling capacity were reduced even more, the ambient
temp. went up, or the engine were worked harder. If it is going up to
say 250F then that is a problem. Is your gauge calibrated, or do you
have an infrared thermometer where you could actually take temperature
readings of an area of the engine where the coolant is close to the
outside of the metal (like the thermostat housing, or the area of the
head where the water temp. sender resides?)

nate

E36 Over heat problem Emma Ward BMW 7 April 5th 06 06:57 PM
Maxpower - heat problem thegospelmagicman Dodge 8 January 19th 06 03:31 AM
94 Dodge Spirit Heat Problem Adam Dodge 3 December 8th 05 05:45 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 2 April 22nd 05 05:32 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 November 1st 04 06:24 AM