99 TJ - 35" Tires? Wheel size and lift suggestion?

Old November 11th 04, 09:59 PM
Adam

Default 99 TJ - 35" Tires? Wheel size and lift suggestion?

Greetings,

I just picked up a used 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It currently has 32"
tires on it, but the tread is wearing thing and I will be in the
market for new tires pretty soon.

I want to purchase new tires and wheels and I am just looking for
suggestions and comments to what this will entail.

This car is my every-day rider, but I am going to be doing a decent
amount of off-roading w/ it.

I want to put on 35" tires. What does this entail as far as lift kits
(is one required? which brands are good? does the lift kit have
everything I will need? how much $ to have it installed or is it too
difficult to do it yourself)? I want full articulation with the
tires, so please let me know whatever is necessary.

Also - can I get away with not having to put on a lift kit if I go
with 33"'s?

How does the lift kit affect driving performance and handling?

I am new to the auto-modification world, so please chime in with your
knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

-Adam
Old November 17th 04, 08:09 PM

The following might help a little:
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.html

Click on the "application guide" button. It gives recommended lifts
for some truck models and its tires.

Old November 17th 04, 08:19 PM

fyi google groups.
I was using the new google groups app., and I got the oops screen
trying to post the first two times.

Old November 17th 04, 08:22 PM

Old December 4th 04, 06:19 PM
IsellJeeps

you will need a 4" and 2" body or 6" susp lift and if you have the stock
307 gears your in trouble.. make sure you have the 373's to pull the 35's!

m...

Old April 18th 05, 01:57 PM
cmg7782

just an idea i have a 98 wrangler with 31s on it i did the cheep lift coil
spacers 2inch it lifted it ok i think i could fit 33s if i wanted to but
with the 31 10 50s all i had to do was adjust the turn stop so i wouldn't
have hit the sway bar it took very little away from the turning radious i
also droped the tranny/transfer case it all cost me $133.-- plus tax if
you wanted to spend more and not loose the little gound clearance with the
tranny drop you could buy the cv joint style axle but truthfully you only
loose 1.5 inches not a big loss in the money differense they also make cam
bolts to adjust the diff angle i had just a little shake in the drive trane
from just the lift hope this helps some chris