A lap around "The Ring"

Old March 14th 05, 06:33 PM
Steve Smith

Absolutely painful...it dislodged some earwax I've been living with since
1955.

(BTW, Assen--the long course--is an add-on track for GTR...and a great
online venue. OTOH, "Dutch supercars" is an oxymoron - what are they
driving, DAFs?)

Old March 14th 05, 06:43 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Steve Smith" wrote...
> Absolutely painful...it dislodged some earwax I've been
> living with since 1955.
>
> (BTW, Assen--the long course--is an add-on track for GTR
> ...and a great online venue. OTOH, "Dutch supercars" is
> an oxymoron - what are they driving, DAFs?)

The people at Spijker and Donkervoort are gonna love you for that nugget,
Steve. ;-)

Jan.
=---

Old March 15th 05, 01:32 AM
Ruud Dingemans

Steve Smith wrote:

> (BTW, Assen--the long course--is an add-on track for GTR...and a great
> online venue. OTOH, "Dutch supercars" is an oxymoron - what are they
> driving, DAFs?)

I'll have you know, I've seen a picture of a DAF formula car with none
other than Jack Brabham at the wheel!

Oh, and the reason we don't have a supercar tradition is that of course,
we didn't NEED to outrun the cops since it was all legal over here anyway.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank -24)
Old March 15th 05, 11:57 AM
Steve Smith

That ain't the only thing that's legal in the Lowlands, Gott sei dank. Go
Dutch!

Old March 15th 05, 02:40 PM
Plowboy

Possible that this link died? I know I read the site can only 'download it'
once an hour (20meg/hr limit) but I dont know what to exect when I click on
the link in the forum, seems to take me to a page that acts like the link is
no good?

Jan Verschueren enlightened us with:

Old March 15th 05, 06:19 PM
Jan Verschueren

"Plowboy" wrote...
> Possible that this link died? I know I read the site can
> only 'download it' once an hour (20meg/hr limit) but I
> dont know what to exect when I click on the link in the
> forum, seems to take me to a page that acts like the link
> is no good?

Yes, I know it looks odd, but follow the link from the post and click on the
"free" button at the bottom once that page has loaded (as explained in the
post).

You will be taken to another bland looking page, with a little frame at the
bottom counting down 45secs or so (miniscule text), once the counter counts
down, a download link for the movie will appear.

Jan.
=---

Old March 15th 05, 08:42 PM
mcewena

>Im mean seriously, how could BMW go wrong in this instance?

Suppose they licence their car to a publisher for a "sim" and it
the marketing guys at the publishing company convince the developers to
turn it into Need for Speed cop-killer 2006 (purely fictional title I
hope), and it turns into a cult classic with the console crowd, so of
course CNN, Fox and 60 minutes produce "in depth" specials, then every
ambulance chaser in the inner city who's been near a hit and run
launches a nuisance suit against the car and game manufacturer which
they have to spend millions defending.

If you're a lawyer in a conservative company and don't know
anything about the game market (except that the average console player
can't afford a BMW so you likely won't generate any sales) you might
just give it a pass.

Or something along those lines.....

Old March 15th 05, 09:05 PM
Mitch_A

mcewena wrote:

>>Im mean seriously, how could BMW go wrong in this instance?

> Suppose they licence their car to a publisher for a "sim" and it
> the marketing guys at the publishing company convince the developers to
> turn it into Need for Speed cop-killer 2006 (purely fictional title I
> hope), and it turns into a cult classic with the console crowd, so of
> course CNN, Fox and 60 minutes produce "in depth" specials, then every
> ambulance chaser in the inner city who's been near a hit and run
> launches a nuisance suit against the car and game manufacturer which
> they have to spend millions defending.
>
> If you're a lawyer in a conservative company and don't know
> anything about the game market (except that the average console player
> can't afford a BMW so you likely won't generate any sales) you might
> just give it a pass.
>
> Or something along those lines.....

good points. Dam lawyers...

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old March 15th 05, 09:06 PM
Steve Smith

Um, yes, except that...

1. The licensee can reserve the right to vet the final product (as Ferrari
did with GPL), and/or

2. BMW already *has* a car in GTR: the decidedly unlovely Z3M hatchback...so
it's not like they've already put their best foot forward, hmmmn?

oups.com...

Old March 15th 05, 09:16 PM
mcewena

>1. The licensee can reserve the right to vet the final product (as
Ferrari
>did with GPL), and/or

GPL without Ferrari would have been like a Nascar sim without an
Earnhart so maybe they got a special veto (much like they do in real
F1).

They can ask, but the publisher can say no and the vendor can walk away
from the table. Point is there's dozens of reasons a licencing deal
can fall through and I didn't even get to money...

>2. BMW already *has* a car in GTR: the decidedly unlovely Z3M

hatchback...so
>it's not like they've already put their best foot forward, hmmmn?

A car who's reputation they can't wreck

"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
99 Cobra cracked ring cgun Ford Mustang 10 February 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Anyone heard the new NFL Ring tones? [email protected] Driving 4 January 11th 05 01:40 PM
cause of broken ring gear teeth RLGIRSCH 4x4 0 October 11th 04 09:05 PM