What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 06:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 08:40:36 -0800, Vic Smith

wrote:

>>>That "pro" says to replace brake fluid once a year.
>>>I wonder how many people do that.
>>>I never replace brake fluid unless I've got the system open.

>> I generally did when doing any major brake work (drums, rotors, pads
>>or shes) - just s thorough bleed.

>I haven't touched any part of my brakes for 4 years.

I "service" my disc brakes at least once a year.
Old November 6th 17, 06:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> No one can teach you anything as you know everything.

You think that because I asked you to think logically like an adult would.

You think I'm stupid because I don't have your experience.
You think everything you say is right because you have that experience.

OK. Let's just leave it at that, because I *read* that paper, and it
doesn't say what you and the other guy (I don't look at names) claim it
says.

So you have experience on your side.
I have simple factual logic on mine.
Old November 6th 17, 06:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:05:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/6/2017 11:56 AM, RS Wood wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've always said it's what you learn AFTER you know it all that
>>> REALLY counts - - -

>> Did any of you actually *read* that paper?
>>
>> I did.
>>
>> It doesn't say what you imply it says.
>>
>> Show me the slightest bit of technical on-topic merit that paper had with
>> respect to how piston rings are better now than they were in the days of
>> yore.
>>
>> There isn't a *single* statement in that *entire* paper that backs up
>> *anything* you said it did.
>>
>> Nothing.
>> And you expect me to believe because I'm an engineer and you're a mechanic
>> that you know more than I do about basic adult logic?
>>
>> The fact of what we're trained in has *nothing* to do with the way our
>> brains think.
>>

>No one can teach you anything as you know everything.

Darn engineers think everything has to be "logical" - and that means
"their logic" - which in many cases isn't at all "logical" when you
get down to brass tacks because they are basing their "logic" on false
pretexts. Their initial thesis is wrong and they just try to make
reality fit their warped reality.
Old November 6th 17, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

wrote:

>>No one can teach you anything as you know everything.

> Darn engineers think everything has to be "logical" - and that means
> "their logic" - which in many cases isn't at all "logical" when you
> get down to brass tacks because they are basing their "logic" on false
> pretexts. Their initial thesis is wrong and they just try to make
> reality fit their warped reality.

You should give me credit for *reading* the paper someone referenced (I
don't look at whom I'm responding to - I just respond to what they say).

The paper was garbage for what it was supposed to say.
That's a fact.

But nonetheless, I get your point which is that you think you know
everything because you have seen everything in your years of experience
that I don't (and never will) have.

You think that I am stupid because I try to think logically about
everything, which means that I will sometimes be wrong, such that, overall,
it seems that the consensus here might be as bad as:

1. I'm wrong that FWD were not built to handle well 365 days a year,
2. I'm wrong on slotted rotors braking no better than solid in street use,
3. I'm wrong on piston rings being *proven* to be far better nowadays,
4. I'm wrong on both the fact of and the measurement of rotor warp,
5. I'm wrong on (insert pet peeve here).

The good news is that this thread was about something else, and not those
things, where the one GREAT thing that came out of this thread was you gave
me a better understanding of WHY engines last forever nowadays, as compared
to yesteryear.

In fact, just the carb-to-EFI knowledge learned from you is a diamond!
It all made logical sense!

Illogical things are unsettling to me (like Marketing Bull**** is).
Things that make logical sense, give me an immense satisfaction.
Old November 6th 17, 08:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Tekkie®

RS Wood posted for all of us...

> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
> done?
>
> Mine are, in this order of "I wish I could do it" order
> 1. painting
> 2. alignment
> 3. replace/rebuild engine
> 4. clutch replacement
> 5. tire mounting and balancing
> 6. timing belt
> 7. head gasket and vcg
>
> I've done electrical, brakes, shocks, cooling systems, alternators,
> ujoints, pitman/idler arms & tie-rod ends and ball joints, tuneups,
> emissions hoses and sensors, exhaust, electrical components, fuel pumps,
> and fluids, but not the six things above.
>
> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
> done?

I have done all except #3.

The worst job I consider is exhaust. I guess that has diminished these days.

The hardest is being a good diagnostician.

--
Tekkie
Old November 6th 17, 09:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 11/6/2017 12:12 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> No one can teach you anything as you know everything.

> You think that because I asked you to think logically like an adult would.
>
> You think I'm stupid because I don't have your experience.
> You think everything you say is right because you have that experience.
>
> OK. Let's just leave it at that, because I *read* that paper, and it
> doesn't say what you and the other guy (I don't look at names) claim it
> says.
>
> So you have experience on your side.
> I have simple factual logic on mine.

Never said you were stupid. You may be a nice guy in person but you
come across as an arrogant @#$ that knows everything and the rest of us
know nothing. We can never be as good as you.

A good engineer would know that even simple things like piston rings can
be improved in many ways, yet you insist they are no different than ones
made 60 years ago. Well, maybe if you think that is correct you cannot
be a real engineer.

I have known many engineers, have a couple in the family but none would
make that statement. I do know people like you though.

Any of theses your projects?
https://www.livescience.com/55619-en...disasters.html
Old November 6th 17, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 2:20 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>
>> Just add gear to your list and delete pushrod. We are talking about
>> driving the *camshaft*. gear, chain, belt. There are a few varieties of
>> chain in use; single row, double row, hyvo.

> Thanks. Had I done the job even once, I'd know more than I do, so I will
> gladly take your word for it that there are three choices and we must pick
> one of the three.
> 1. Gear
> 2. Belt
> 3. Chain
>
> We have to pick one.
> Which is the most reliable?

Gear by far, chain next, belt last.

Noisiest;

Gear, chain, belt

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 11/6/2017 12:04 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> People that do not have a TV tend to have a superiority complex. Sure,
>> 95% of it is crap, but there are some excellent shows on History,
>> Discovery, Science that will broaden your horizons and educate you about
>> the rest of the world.

> Ask me *anything* about "history, discovery, science, and the rest of the
> world".
>
> What makes you think that only watching TV will gain you that information?

Did I say that is the only way? No, I did not. You are making up
things to suit you. You did, however, take the time to infer you know
everything about history, discovery, science, and the rest of the world.
Books are great, but seeing some things on TV can be very enjoyable
and educational for those of us that don't know everything..

You can watch an episode of "How It Made" and they may do a segment on
piston rings and the latest technology.