What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do buthave never done?

On 6/11/2017 8:44 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 17:23:01 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> Two vehicles that are worthless to me:
>>> 1. FWD
>>> 2. Belt
>>>

>> The past half dozen cars I've had have been FWD. I don't have a problem
>> with them. My first FWD car was a Morris Mini back in 74 and I have had
>> heaps of them since. Had heaps of RWD cars too. Totals in the hundreds.

> 2 mechanics/trade school instrctors who drove Morris Minis ----

First car was a Hillman Minx. Had a few before I bought the mini. 850cc
of raw power, 70 mph with a tail wind and a downhill run.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/5/2017 9:49 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> I don't hear anyone talking about pushrods, so, all I see here are that
> chains last a*lot* longer in general than do belts, where if either one
> broke on an interference engine, expensive things can happen.

Unless it's a gear driven camshaft the pushrod design will have a chain.
Other than bikes I don't there are many gear drives because of the
fitting problems. My Harley has gears but they are factory matched.
Aftermarket cams tend to be noisier because of the wider tolerance.
Old November 6th 17, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/5/2017 9:49 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> rbowman wrote:
>
>> There is more to it than that. FWD is more efficient than spinning a
>> drive shaft and rear differential. Bending power 90 degrees costs. FWD
>> also allows as much if not more passenger space in the cabin. If you
>> ever dealt with the transmission hump from hell you know what I mean.
>> Admittedly it's a moot point for me since I go for two bucket seats and
>> a center console but I don't haul a family around. FWD designs tend to
>> be lighter.
>>
>> When you're chasing the EPA fleet mileage, FWD looks good.

> But my point is that none of that was *why* they build FWD cars.
>
> They make 'em for one reason, and one reason only.
>
> The tradeoffs are legendary, especially in a group that has to DRIVE them
> and REPAIR them.

Cheaper? No, you're wrong on that one.
Old November 6th 17, 03:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 11/6/2017 1:18 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> RS Wood wrote:
>
>> I just am saying that nobody in this thread has given any logical reason
>> why rings would be "better" today than in the days of yore.

> I think I got cranky.
> Apologies.

As an alleged engineer you should be ashamed of yourself. Your thinking
lacks logic too, if you think a 1955 Chevy rings is the same as used
today.

https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/...pdf?sequence=1
Old November 6th 17, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 11/6/2017 1:13 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>> Pads, under extremes of heat, give off gases. It is the presence of
>>> those gases *between* the pads and the disc that prevents the friction
>> >from happening. The gases make the pads operate more like a hovercraft.
>>> The slots provide a means by which the gases can quickly escape.
>>> In a road going car, slotted rotors are probably overkill. Not so on
>>> high performance vehicles.

>> 100% correct - on both counts.

> Marketing bull**** and applying racing specifics to street cars is classic
> bull**** moves, where we've all had this happen to us a billion times.
>
> Just show a reliable reference on the entire Internet ... just one ... that
> proves that without changing anything else ... in a normally driven street
> car ... which is what we're talking about here ... that any of that above
> isn't anything other than marketing bull****.
>
> Just one reference from the entirety of the Internet.
> You show it ... I'll read it.
>
> Until then, it's marketing bull****.

Doubt you'll believe it anyway.

https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/what-is-brake-fade/

There are principally 2 common types of formulation for a brake pad
friction material, organics and sintered metallics (there are also brake
pads known as ‘semi-metallics’ but these are a ‘hybrid blend’ of the two
aforementioned friction types and thus have properties that typically
lie somewhere in the middle). For more information on the different
brake pad constructions read our article ‘How to make brakes’.
Organic brake pads inherit their name from the organic phenolic resins
used to bind together the different compounds used in the pads
construction. There are countless different types of thermoset phenolic
resin, but they can all be generally considered to have a maximum
temperature up to which they are thermally stable. Above its intended
maximum operating temperature, just like any organic matter, the
phenolic resin used as the binding agent becomes altered by the heat and
effectively ‘boils’, expelling an appreciable volume of gas as it
degrades. (The actual technical term for this process is sublimation,
since once the phenolic material reaches the critical temperature it
jumps from its original solid state and changes instantaneously to a
gas, with no detectable liquid phase).

The dominant mechanism causing brake fade is this thermal degradation of
the phenolic resins and other materials in the friction lining, which
create a film of gas at the pad-rotor interface and effectively causes
the brake pad to skid off the disc. As these gasses build up at the
pad-rotor interface, they produce an appreciable backpressure which
creates an opposing force to the brake caliper that is trying to hold
the pads against the rotor. If there is no way for the gasses to escape,
the opposing force as a result of the outgassing can become large enough
to prize the pads away from the rotor, reducing the area of pad in
contact with the rotor and thus reducing braking power (i.e. brake fade).
Old November 6th 17, 04:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
AMuzi

On 11/6/2017 8:35 AM, rbowman wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 9:49 PM, RS Wood wrote:
>> I don't hear anyone talking about pushrods, so, all I see
>> here are that
>> chains last a*lot* longer in general than do belts, where
>> if either one
>> broke on an interference engine, expensive things can happen.

> Unless it's a gear driven camshaft the pushrod design will
> have a chain. Other than bikes I don't there are many gear
> drives because of the fitting problems. My Harley has gears
> but they are factory matched. Aftermarket cams tend to be
> noisier because of the wider tolerance.

My Corvairs are geared-cam.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old November 6th 17, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

>>> Changing camber on a strut still changes toe.

>> I didn't say it didn't. camber has a lot less effect on camber, and
>> vice versa on a strut system than on a double wishbone system
>>

>That depends entirely on *where* you adjust that camber on the strut.

Since the caster adjustment can only be done some 16 or so inches
from the ball joint (have not seen an adjustable lower control arm
pivot in decades on a strut suspension) the difference in caster from
camber or vice versa is by necessity less than half what it would be
if the centers were 8 incges apaty like a typical double wishbone
Old November 6th 17, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 03:32:52 -0500, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>RS Wood wrote:
>> Steve W. wrote:
>>
>>> Chains don't mean a lot when they drop them down to bicycle sizes with
>>> small pins. Things stretch like cheap rope.

>> I think the only reason manufactures went to belts is to increase their
>> profits, so I wonder if there is any value to a belt AFTER you look at the
>> tradoffs.
>>
>> The real question for a repair group would be the main factors:
>> 1. Reliability of chain versus belt
>> 2. Damage potential of chain versus belt
>> 3. Repair hassle of chain versus belt
>>
>> Let's ignore the marketing bull**** (e.g., lighter, quieter, etc.) for this
>> thread to concentrate on the reliability and repair-related issues.
>>
>> As I already noted, I *wish* I had replaced a timing chain in my life, but
>> just like I've never owned a FWD vehicle (and I lived in a "snow state" for
>> decades), I have never had a belt car and I've never had a chain break on
>> me.
>>
>> So I have no experience.
>> But....
>>
>> I posit that:
>> 1. The chain is *far* more reliable than the belt
>> 2. Both can ruin an interference engine if they break
>> 3. Repair hassle is probably about the same
>>
>> The question is how long is the typical MTBF for a belt versus a chain?

>Depends on the particular engine. Most belts are around 60K change
>interval, and many are not hard to do. Then you have vehicles with
>chains, a good design will go 2-300K with no real issues. The ****ty
>designs fail around 50-60K and do more damage than just the valves if it
>drops into the lower sprocket on a stick that rolls a bit.
>GMs 3.6 and some others use a VERY light chain that stretches and breaks.

"Garbage Machines"