What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 09:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:49:14 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Steve W. wrote:
>
>> Chains don't mean a lot when they drop them down to bicycle sizes with
>> small pins. Things stretch like cheap rope.

>I think the only reason manufactures went to belts is to increase their
>profits, so I wonder if there is any value to a belt AFTER you look at the
>tradoffs.

No, chains stretch - belts don't. Belt timing is more accurate and
consistant. Belts are more efficient at transmitting power.
Belts are much easier and cheaper to replace

>The real question for a repair group would be the main factors:
>1. Reliability of chain versus belt

It can be pretty much a wash
>2. Damage potential of chain versus belt

When a chain goes bad, it does more damage than a belt
>3. Repair hassle of chain versus belt

A lot more hassle when a chain brakes.

>Let's ignore the marketing bull**** (e.g., lighter, quieter, etc.) for this
>thread to concentrate on the reliability and repair-related issues.
>
>As I already noted, I *wish* I had replaced a timing chain in my life, but
>just like I've never owned a FWD vehicle (and I lived in a "snow state" for
>decades), I have never had a belt car and I've never had a chain break on
>me.
>
>So I have no experience.
>But....
>
>I posit that:
>1. The chain is *far* more reliable than the belt

Not necessarilly true
>2. Both can ruin an interference engine if they break

Correct - and the cain causes more damage and is more expensive to
repair
>3. Repair hassle is probably about the same

Nope - an order of magnitude worse with a chain

>The question is how long is the typical MTBF for a belt versus a chain?

Belts - 60- 100 thousand Km in the past - some last a lot longer but
don't take the chance on an interference engine. an hour or 2 to
change it, and mabee 50 bucks for the belt vs 6 hours plus the cost
of tensioners and sprockets and chain (often over $200) for the chain
- which SHOULD last longer than 2 or 3 belts - but the average car
will only have the belt changed 3 times in it's lifetime

Old November 6th 17, 09:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:49:16 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>>> Some do, some don't. (perhaps today they all do - not sure)
>>>

>> The ones I buy sure do! ;-)

>Two vehicles that are worthless to me:
>1. FWD
>2. Belt

Absoltely no biggy, on either count.
I like FWD. I like RWD. in NORMAL driving, there is basically no
difference - and the flat floor of a FWD is nice - and with the weight
of the engine over the drive wheels traction is snow is MUCH superior
to the traction of a rear wheel drive car with no extra weight in the
rear - - -

I've had my say on belts
Old November 6th 17, 09:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:49:21 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Frank wrote:
>
>> Chains are hardly ideal. Chains wear. The wear changes the pitch
>> between the links and the links no longer quite fit on the sprockets. It
>> turns into a self reinforcing cycle. More wear = worse fit, worse fit =
>> accelerated wear. Eventually the poorly fitting chain will jump one or
>> more teeth on the crank gear or start breaking the teeth on the cam gear.

>What are our choices?
>1. Chain
>2. Belt
>3. Pushrod
>
>Anything else?

Pushrod can be gear or chain

>> The other effect of chain wear is retarded cam timing. The more worn
>> links between the crank and cam, the more the camshaft timing gets
>> retarded. I changed timing sets on conventional OHV engines and that
>> usually advanced the ignition timing from 5 to 10 degrees, suggesting
>> that chain wear had retarded the timing by that amount.

>From a repair standpoint, how long do each typically last?
>1. Chain ?
>2. Belt ?
>3. Pushrod ?

Chevy pushrod engines often took out the plastic timing gears in
under 100,000 km. Lots of timing chains on pushrod engines never made
100,00 miles.

>I don't hear anyone talking about pushrods, so, all I see here are that
>chains last a *lot* longer in general than do belts, where if either one
>broke on an interference engine, expensive things can happen.
>
>> But I still prefer belts. Even on a tight package like a Dodge Neon with
>> the 4 speed auto, the replacement isn't too bad, once you know the
>> routine.

>If the replacement isn't bad, then the belt isn't 'as' bad.
>
>In the general sense though, belts, I posit, are bad news multiplied.
>I try not to take things from the marketing-bull**** standpoint.

The belt is just a maintenance item like plugs

>My take is always from the *why* standpoint.
>Why did the automakers go to belts over chains?

Because in SO many ways they are better and they are not affected by
lubrication issues.

>My supposition is that they did it to save them money.
>No other reason.

You are wrong

>The tradoffs are legendary where the owner is the one who loses in the end
>calculation.

Not necessarily

>>> Just like FWD cars and tricked-out cars are, to me, nearly worthless.

>> I love front wheel drive, especially in the snow.

>Lots of cars are FWD that never see snow.
>
>In the general sense though, FWD, I posit, is bad news multiplied.
>I try not to take things from the marketing-bull**** standpoint.
>
>My take is always from the *why* standpoint.
>Why did the automakers go to FWD over RWD?

For many reasons which I have already given you.

>My supposition is that they did it to save them money.
>No other reason.

Nope,

>The tradoffs are legendary where the owner is the one who loses in the end
>calculation (particularly since deep snow is still on the road for what,
>maybe 10 days out of 365?)

Not up here. and they make cars for world markets -

>Anyone who mentions snow with FWD is falling directly into marketing hell.
>Just like anyone who mentions belts are "quieter" and "lighter" is doing.
>
>The sole reason for belts and FWD is to increase manufacturer's profits.
>Everything else is marketing bull**** because the tradeoffs are legendary.

You can believe what you like - but my FWD cars get around in snow
al LOT better than my old RWD cars. Try driving a new mustang or
camaro in snow.

Old November 6th 17, 09:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:49:25 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> The $50 figure is about 30 years old. If it was accurate at the time is
>> would be double that today and there was still a lot of engineering and
>> new tooling to pay for. That said, I have no ideal today.

>I remember $1000 but they didn't pass that on to the consumer in toto.
>
>What irks me the most isn't that they make FWD cars, just like it doesn't
>irk me that they make convertibles or muscle cars or economy cars or luxury
>cars.
>
>What irks me about FWD is that the hoi polloi do not UNDERSTAND what FWD
>gets them.
>
>I posit it gets them almost nothing.
>
>Then the hoi polloi don't understand what they lose.
>
>I posit they lose handling.
>
>Maybe FWD is better now ... but I think I'll have to go to my deathbed
>before owning a FWD car... simply because I don't want to fall for the
>marketing trap that everyone else easily falls into.

You are not drinking the coolade, but you are certainly falling for
the bull****.
Old November 6th 17, 09:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:54:55 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>>> Hrm.+AKA- I thought that was done to lighten them -- bicyclists are
>>> sometimes also called gram-shavers.+AKA- It provides better cooling too?
>>>

>> Removing mass reduces heat holding ability. The material removed does
>> not provide a gain in surface exposure. The real gain is providing a
>> path for the gasses coming off the pad surfaces to escape from between
>> the pad and rotor. Reduces the hovercraft effect.

>I can spout marketing bull**** as well as anyone can.
>I just choose not to.
>
>If you can find a scientific study that proves for street cars that a
>drilled/slotted rotor makes *any* difference over a solid rotor in braking
>performance, let me know.
>
>I'm all about logic.

Not for normal legal street driving
Old November 6th 17, 09:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 16:25:31 +1100, Xeno >
wrote:

> [...]

>>> - and sometimes one side is
>>> straight, and the other side is not - parallelism warpage - where some
>>> fins collapse and one side of the rotor "caves in" - 1 inch thick on
>>> one "side" of the rotor, and .875 or something like that diametrically
>>> across the rotor. - and sometimes virtually deead flat on both
>>> surfaces - other times with about hald paralel and the other half
>>> "sloped"

>> Now you're straining credularity.

>>> That won't necessarilly tell you anything. The only way to KNOW is to
>>> use a dial indicator properly.

>> How you gonna tell runut from warp with a dial gauge?

>Compare measurements.
>>
>>> And that is where YOU are WRONG.
>>> Many technicians measure brake rotors virtually every day of their
>>> working lives.

>> On the entire freaking Internet, find *one* picture (just one) of a
>> technician actually properly measuring brake rotor *warp*.
>>
>> Just find a *single* picture please. Just one.
>> On the entire freakin' Internet.
>>
>> Find one.
>>
>>> Dealerships were then REQUIRED to buy an "on-the-car lathe" to true
>>> up rotors.

>> That's not warp.
>> Nothing on this planet is going to fix warp.
>> There's not enough metal to remove.

>Depends on the warp severity.
>>
>>> A wize man learns from the mistakes of others - a fool never learns
>>> because he "never makes mistakes"

>> Which is why I wish I had done these half-dozen jobs:
>> 1. Alignment
>> 2. Transmission
>> 3. Engine
>> 4. Tires
>> 5. paint

>Done all, taught 1 thru 4 at a technical college.
>>
>>> Yes - you are right to the extent that MOST "warped rotors" are not.
>>> But you are absolutely WRONG when you say they never warp in
>>> street/highway use and anyone who says they have had a warped rotor is
>>> lying and hasn't measured the rotor to prove it.

>> I never once said "never" but "almost never" which is different, and we're
>> only talking street, and I have references that back up everything I say
>> whereas you provided zero references for what you said.
>>
>> I'm not here to argue opinions.
>> I only argue using logic.
>>
>> Just read the references I provided and then provide some references that
>> back up your point of view.
>>
>> The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
>> <http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths>
>>
>> The 'Warped Rotor' Myth
>> <http://www.10w40.com/features/maintenance/the-warped-rotor-myth>
>>
>> Warped Brake Rotors - Vibrating Reality or Internet Myth?
>> <https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brake-rotors-vibrating-reality-or-internet-myth>
>>
>> Stop the +IBg-Warped+IBk- Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way
>> <http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/>
>>
>> Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp

Notice amateur Woody is arguing with 2 former professional mechanics
and trade school instructors???? I'm done with him. A waste of time,
effort and breath. PLONK!!
Old November 6th 17, 09:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

2 mechanics/trade school instrctors who drove Morris Minis ----
Old November 6th 17, 10:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Vic Smith

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 02:57:16 -0500, wrote:

> Only the stop-tech article is written by a pro (Can't open the
>raybestos link so it's useless)

That "pro" says to replace brake fluid once a year.
I wonder how many people do that.
I never replace brake fluid unless I've got the system open.

Old November 6th 17, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 6:57 PM, wrote:
> [...]

>>> across the rotor. - and sometimes virtually deead flat on both
>>> surfaces - other times with about hald paralel and the other half
>>> "sloped"

>> Now you're straining credularity.

> No I'm not. Seen it many times

>>> That won't necessarilly tell you anything. The only way to KNOW is to
>>> use a dial indicator properly.

>> How you gonna tell runut from warp with a dial gauge?

> Watch the needle move.
>>
>>> And that is where YOU are WRONG.
>>> Many technicians measure brake rotors virtually every day of their
>>> working lives.

>> On the entire freaking Internet, find *one* picture (just one) of a
>> technician actually properly measuring brake rotor *warp*.

> The internet doesn't show EVERYTHING. What you know comes from the
> web. What I know comes from tears in the trade (including teaching the

Teaching the trade, yes, bound to cause tears at times.

>> Just find a *single* picture please. Just one.
>> On the entire freakin' Internet.
>>
>> Find one.
>>
>>> Dealerships were then REQUIRED to buy an "on-the-car lathe" to true
>>> up rotors.

>> That's not warp.
>> Nothing on this planet is going to fix warp.
>> There's not enough metal to remove.

> That is totally dependent on how much warp. And what, other than
> "warp" will cause a rotor to develop "runout" if it is totally true
> when installed.
>>
>>> A wize man learns from the mistakes of others - a fool never learns
>>> because he "never makes mistakes"

>> Which is why I wish I had done these half-dozen jobs:
>> 1. Alignment
>> 2. Transmission
>> 3. Engine
>> 4. Tires
>> 5. paint

> Ond I've dome them all at least once.

Done hundreds and hundreds of alignments.

>>> Yes - you are right to the extent that MOST "warped rotors" are not.
>>> But you are absolutely WRONG when you say they never warp in
>>> street/highway use and anyone who says they have had a warped rotor is
>>> lying and hasn't measured the rotor to prove it.

>> I never once said "never" but "almost never" which is different, and we're
>> only talking street, and I have references that back up everything I say
>> whereas you provided zero references for what you said.

> You have references I have experience.

Ditto. Been there, measured that. ;-)

>> I'm not here to argue opinions.
>> I only argue using logic.

> Reality defies logic.
>>
>> Just read the references I provided and then provide some references that
>> back up your point of view.
>>
>> The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System
>> <http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths>
>>
>> The 'Warped Rotor' Myth
>> <http://www.10w40.com/features/maintenance/the-warped-rotor-myth>
>>
>> Warped Brake Rotors - Vibrating Reality or Internet Myth?
>> <https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brake-rotors-vibrating-reality-or-internet-myth>
>>
>> Stop the +IBg-Warped+IBk- Rotors Myth and Service Brakes the Right Way
>> <http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/>
>>
>> Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp
>> <http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id87>

> Only the stop-tech article is written by a pro (Can't open the
> raybestos link so it's useless)
>
> The rest could be written by you - same level of cred. They are
> written by enthusiasts who have read articles.
>
> They are correct in most of what they say - but real warpage DOES
> exist, because not all rotors are properly manufactured and stress
> relieved and heat treated - like the problem Toyota had in the early
> '80s, and many of the "crap" rotors in the aftermarket - as I have
> explained before. In the "ideal world" they would never warp. Also,
> not all rotors spend their life in "normal" conditions - other
> problems in the braking system, or abuse, can cause a lot more heat
> than normal driving - which is why the accurate stement is:

Overtightening wheel nuts or uneven tightening of same will cause
warpage of discs.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 01:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 7:02 PM, wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 04:48:30 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
> wrote:
>
>> Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Any scoring on a rotor will fail it. As you say, there might be less
>>> than 50% of the pad surface in contact with the rotor surface. No way
>>> will that bed in properly. You will get localised overheating both on
>>> the pad and on the rotor.

>> I'm not gonna argue vehemently because, in practice, while I've seen those
>> "wavy" rotors too, my rotors tend to be smooth so I don't deal with
>> "scoring".
>>
>> However, anyone who says "any scoring of rotors will fail it" has NOT looke
>> up the manufacturer's spec for scoring tests.
>>
>> I have. Long ago.
>>
>> The result was shockingly huge.
>>
>> I don't remember the actual number but I remember being shocked at how huge
>> it is. Something like tens of thousanths of an inch in width huge.
>>
>> We're talking Grand Canyon in rotors.
>>
>> I may be wrong but if someone says "any" scoring, that's just preposterous.
>> Let's see a manufacturer's spec for anyone who says that.
>>
>> Sorry. It's just not logical that 'any' scoring fails a rotor.

> ANY mechanical damage fails the rotor on DOT test. Some smoth wear is
> allowed - but you NEVER install new pads on rotors that have an uneven
> friction surface because it is virtually impossible to properly bed
> the new pads to the uneven rotor withot localized overheating

Exactly. The new pads will charcoal grill on the high spots and *never*
properly bed in.

> At the price of rotors today even on your Bimmer, it just is not
> worth it. The pads cost more than the rotors on MOST vehicles today.
> No reputable shop will do it because comebacks are expensive - and
> real mechanics KNOW the comebacks will happen if they do something
> stupid like installing new pads on badly worn rotors.

Brake pulling is most likely as the most grooved disc will have less
surface contact.

--

Xeno