A Helpful tip

Old November 2nd 05, 03:33 PM
Mike West

Default A Helpful tip

Well I hope it might be for some anyway.

I have been rebuilding my chopped 66 bug. I was given a complete 67 Bug by a
friend. I sold the motor to one guy, traded the great body it had to a shop
for a new adjustable fron end with disc brakes and 2 inch dropped spindles,
4 lug rear drums and I put in new pan halfs. Bought a Rancho Performance
tranny, put in all new seals in the pan too. Well before I put the body on I
thought I had better check the fuel line too since it was so accessable
without the body in the way. As you might guess it was clogged with old
gelled fuel.

I purchased a spraycan of carburator cleaner, it had one of those long
aplicator tips too. I stuck the tip into the end of the gas line and then
wrapped a rag around the end to prevent back spray. (WEAR GOGGLES TOO!)
I sprayed it till it started coming out the end. Then I repeated thjis at
the back end of the pipe at the tranny. .
I have many extra throttle cables so I took one and cut the pedal/hook end
off with some cutters. then I squeezed the end a bit to make it flare out.
Then I started snakeing it into the pipe. The clog was about mid way into
the line. I repeated this a few times, then did the same from the other end.
After this I let it sit over night then repeated the process. After a few
minutes I broke through the clog. Then I ran the cable back and forth to
enlarge the opening. After this I got out the spray again and sprayed it
into the pipe. The stuff came out the back end in force and since I hadn't
thought about this and put a rag over it, I had carb cleaner and old
lacquered up gas all over the place. The line is now clear and I will watch
the gas filter for a while till I get a clean one then it should be ok.

HTH, Mike