GPL on laptop problems

Old July 25th 05, 07:28 PM
Txl

Default GPL on laptop problems

Hello,

I just moved GPL to my ACER laptop and I have the following problems :

1) Game is running at double speed eveyrthing is going at 2X real speed
2) for the moment I'm playing with keyboard and the only active keys I can use for direction and speed control are the function keys (F1-F12) and it's not really convenient.

Thanks for the help

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa
Old July 25th 05, 10:48 PM
Malc

"Txl" > wrote in message newsp.suhex2tcarkwbw@acer...

> 1) Game is running at double speed eveyrthing is going at 2X real speed
> 2) for the moment I'm playing with keyboard and the only active keys I can

use for direction and speed control are the function keys (F1-F12) and it's
not really convenient.

1) Apply the CPU fix to take gpl to version 1.2.0.2

2) get a little joypad maybe?

Malc.

Old July 26th 05, 08:27 AM
Txl

Le Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:48:21 +0200, Malc > a écrit:

> "Txl" > wrote in message newsp.suhex2tcarkwbw@acer...
>
>> 1) Game is running at double speed eveyrthing is going at 2X real speed
>> 2) for the moment I'm playing with keyboard and the only active keys I can

> use for direction and speed control are the function keys (F1-F12) and it's
> not really convenient.
>
> 1) Apply the CPU fix to take gpl to version 1.2.0.2

Well I'm already runnin 1.2.0.2 that's the problem, my CPU is an ATHLON 64, is there a fix for that ?

> 2) get a little joypad maybe?

I "season 2" maybe, but right now I'd like to be able to play with R and F for throttle and J and K for steering for example

Thanks for the help

Old July 26th 05, 08:39 AM
Malc

newsp.suhex2tcarkwbw@acer...

> >> 1) Game is running at double speed eveyrthing is going at 2X real speed
> >> 2) for the moment I'm playing with keyboard and the only active keys I

can
> > use for direction and speed control are the function keys (F1-F12) and

it's
> > not really convenient.
> >
> > 1) Apply the CPU fix to take gpl to version 1.2.0.2

> Well I'm already runnin 1.2.0.2 that's the problem, my CPU is an ATHLON

64, is there a fix for that ?

There is no patch or anything special you need to do to make gpl compatable
with an A64, aother than the CPU fix for CPU's over 1.4Ghz or so. Suggest
you re-apply the fix since your symptoms are exactly what the CPU fix is
supposed to fix. Don't apply the Disco Fix after the CPU fix since the CPU
fix includes it.

> > 2) get a little joypad maybe?

> I "season 2" maybe, but right now I'd like to be able to play with R and F

for throttle and J and K for steering for example

You can pick up a cheap joypad for about a fiver, other than that your are
probably stuck with the limitations of your laptop keyboard. You could try
gplshift though, might help.

Malc.

Old July 26th 05, 07:59 PM
Bob Simpson

Have a look at the GPL FAQ at
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=105748 where you'll find
solutions to this problem. It's usually due to powersaving settings
(set them all to "none") or else the Speedstep (Intel) or
"Cool'n'Quiet" (AMD) powersavers which are possibly accessed through
BIOS.

If you use the latest GEM utility for starting GPL, in the
configuration window you'll find a setting to disable these
powersavers. SpeedswitchXP at http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/ can
be used too.

Old July 28th 05, 09:55 AM
Txl

Le Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:59:53 +0200, Bob Simpson > a écrit:

> Have a look at the GPL FAQ at
> http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=105748 where you'll find
> solutions to this problem. It's usually due to powersaving settings
> (set them all to "none") or else the Speedstep (Intel) or
> "Cool'n'Quiet" (AMD) powersavers which are possibly accessed through
> BIOS.
>
> If you use the latest GEM utility for starting GPL, in the
> configuration window you'll find a setting to disable these
> powersavers. SpeedswitchXP at http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/ can
> be used too.

OK, thanks for the help, installing GEM and playing with the speedstep wolved my problem

Thanks again, now my rank will go down again (he says full of hope)

Old July 28th 05, 10:38 AM
Stephen F.

"Txl" > wrote in message newsp.sul8eqfwarkwbw@acer...
> Le Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:59:53 +0200, Bob Simpson > a
> écrit:
>
>> Have a look at the GPL FAQ at
>> http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=105748 where you'll find
>> solutions to this problem. It's usually due to powersaving settings
>> (set them all to "none") or else the Speedstep (Intel) or
>> "Cool'n'Quiet" (AMD) powersavers which are possibly accessed through
>> BIOS.
>>
>> If you use the latest GEM utility for starting GPL, in the
>> configuration window you'll find a setting to disable these
>> powersavers. SpeedswitchXP at http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/ can
>> be used too.
>>

> OK, thanks for the help, installing GEM and playing with the speedstep
> wolved my problem
>
> Thanks again, now my rank will go down again (he says full of hope)

Get yourself an analog gamepad. I ran GPL on two notebooks with a trusty
Logitech RumblePad and it was great. I could easily match my best wheel
times, the rumble feature gave some interesting feedback, and it was all
very portable.

Stephen