Speed Cameras + Red Light Cameras = Safer Roads

Old April 29th 11, 02:31 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Speed Cameras + Red Light Cameras = Safer Roads

On Apr 29, 9:18*am, N8N > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 12:10*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach
>

> Cruiser Philosopher" > wrote:
> > On Apr 28, 10:00*pm, Jessica Powell > wrote:

> > > False dichotomy fallacy.

> > Well, someone must be behind the corruption of the cameras, who is it?
> > Or are you blaming the technology now?

> The manufacturers of the cameras, primarily, and also those that buy
> their sales pitch either without applying critical thinking skills and/
> or knowing what's going on but giving in to the lure of revenue at the
> expense of safety.

Do we have the technology to limit speed to the posted speed? Perhaps
we can retire the cameras then.

Old April 29th 11, 02:37 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
N8N

On Apr 29, 9:31*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 9:18*am, N8N > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 29, 12:10*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach

> > Cruiser Philosopher" > wrote:

> > > Well, someone must be behind the corruption of the cameras, who is it?
> > > Or are you blaming the technology now?

> > The manufacturers of the cameras, primarily, and also those that buy
> > their sales pitch either without applying critical thinking skills and/
> > or knowing what's going on but giving in to the lure of revenue at the
> > expense of safety.

> Do we have the technology to limit speed to the posted speed? Perhaps
> we can retire the cameras then.

Completely undesirable, as you would understand if you've ever driven
on a two lane road that allows passing.

nate
Old April 29th 11, 02:42 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation

On Apr 29, 9:37*am, N8N > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 9:31*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
>

> Philosopher" > wrote:
> > On Apr 29, 9:18*am, N8N > wrote:

> > > The manufacturers of the cameras, primarily, and also those that buy
> > > their sales pitch either without applying critical thinking skills and/
> > > or knowing what's going on but giving in to the lure of revenue at the
> > > expense of safety.

> > Do we have the technology to limit speed to the posted speed? Perhaps
> > we can retire the cameras then.

> Completely undesirable, as you would understand if you've ever driven
> on a two lane road that allows passing.

The priority is TAMING TRAFFIC... whatever it takes. We have to stop
the carnage and road rage.

Old April 29th 11, 03:06 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
N8N

On Apr 29, 9:42*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 9:37*am, N8N > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 29, 9:31*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser

> > Philosopher" > wrote:

> > > Do we have the technology to limit speed to the posted speed? Perhaps
> > > we can retire the cameras then.

> > Completely undesirable, as you would understand if you've ever driven
> > on a two lane road that allows passing.

> The priority is TAMING TRAFFIC... whatever it takes. We have to stop
> the carnage and road rage.

You are implying that aggressive, angry, raging drivers are a
widespread problem. I believe that that is a media-generated
fallacy. However, stupid, incompetent drivers I see every day (and
may very easily contribute to normal people *becoming* angry drivers.)

nate
Old April 29th 11, 03:29 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation

On Apr 29, 10:06*am, N8N > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 9:42*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
>

> Philosopher" > wrote:
> > On Apr 29, 9:37*am, N8N > wrote:

> > > Completely undesirable, as you would understand if you've ever driven
> > > on a two lane road that allows passing.

> > The priority is TAMING TRAFFIC... whatever it takes. We have to stop
> > the carnage and road rage.

> You are implying that aggressive, angry, raging drivers are a
> widespread problem. *I believe that that is a media-generated
> fallacy. *However, stupid, incompetent drivers I see every day (and
> may very easily contribute to normal people *becoming* angry drivers.)
>
> nate

The fact that *everybody* has to drive in America doesn't help the
quality of drivers out there. Mass production shouldn't apply to
issuing a LICENSE TO KILL.

But that's only where the problem begins. Cell phones and lack of lane
discipline --passing on the outer lane-- compound the problem and make
driving very grinding and dangerous.
Old April 29th 11, 04:04 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

The British are really advanced in this cat and mouse game, where the
mouse is the driver and the cat is the authorities that must be one
step ahead in the game.

This is a neat solution --almost perfect-- for catching predatory
drivers:

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso6.htm

Notice how they are undetectable by RADAR, can be set up to monitor
SPEED and can be complemented with FAKE cameras so the predator never
knows where the trap is. The latter is much better than placing those
empty police cars in parking lots to act as scarecrows.

Old April 29th 11, 08:00 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
N8N

On Apr 29, 11:04*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach
Cruiser Philosopher" > wrote:
> The British are really advanced in this cat and mouse game, where the
> mouse is the driver and the cat is the authorities that must be one
> step ahead in the game.
>
> This is a neat solution --almost perfect-- for catching predatory
> drivers:
>
> http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso6.htm
>
> Notice how they are undetectable by RADAR, can be set up to monitor
> SPEED and can be complemented with FAKE cameras so the predator never
> knows where the trap is. The latter is much better than placing those
> empty police cars in parking lots to act as scarecrows.

you imply that exceeding the posted speed limit is a widespread
problem. I agree that it is widespread, I disagree that it is a
problem. Most incidents are not the result of someone exceeding the
posted speed limit, but they are the result of the driver doing
something stupid (that isn't caught by the camera.)

nate
Old April 29th 11, 09:33 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
gpsman

On Apr 29, 3:00*pm, N8N > wrote:

> you imply that exceeding the posted speed limit is a widespread
> problem. *I agree that it is widespread, I disagree that it is a
> problem.

Your speeding tickets weren't problems...?

Have you never sat waiting to enter a roadway and waited for speeding
traffic?

Have you never waited to turn R upstream of a red signal as speeding
traffic approached, where you could have got out had they not been
speeding...and watched them get nothing for their speeding, except to
make you wait for the green, and then all the speeders to get out of
your way...?

Not a problem, a'cause... you think it's a rare occurrence...?

Oh, I forgot. If you're speeding you're staying out of motorist's
ways, you can't get in one.

> Most incidents are not the result of someone exceeding the
> posted speed limit, but they are the result of the driver doing
> something stupid (that isn't caught by the camera.)

False premise. Single cause fallacy.

(Watch this.)
-----

- gpsman
Old April 29th 11, 10:13 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
Alan Baker

In article
gpsman > wrote:

> On Apr 29, 3:00*pm, N8N > wrote:
> >
> > you imply that exceeding the posted speed limit is a widespread
> > problem. *I agree that it is widespread, I disagree that it is a
> > problem.

> Your speeding tickets weren't problems...?
>
> Have you never sat waiting to enter a roadway and waited for speeding
> traffic?

Nope. Not ever where the problem would have been ameliorated by them not
exceeding the speed limit.

> Have you never waited to turn R upstream of a red signal as speeding
> traffic approached, where you could have got out had they not been
> speeding...and watched them get nothing for their speeding, except to
> make you wait for the green, and then all the speeders to get out of
> your way...?

That one's really false. If they'd not been speeding, you could just
have easily encountered a blockage from a different part of the traffic
stream.

> Not a problem, a'cause... you think it's a rare occurrence...?
>
> Oh, I forgot. If you're speeding you're staying out of motorist's
> ways, you can't get in one.
>
> > Most incidents are not the result of someone exceeding the
> > posted speed limit, but they are the result of the driver doing
> > something stupid (that isn't caught by the camera.)

> False premise. Single cause fallacy.

LOL

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old April 29th 11, 10:53 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,nyc.transit,rec.autos.driving,ne.transportation
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

I like to play a little game with the mouse, I mean the drivers. It's
sort of a guessing game...

We put as many fake yellow boxes as real ones and we keep 'em
guessing.

Look at the decoys he

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso4.htm