Do spark plug wires really need to be changed at 60,000 miles?

Old January 3rd 05, 05:21 PM
Aaron

Default Do spark plug wires really need to be changed at 60,000 miles?

Do spark plug wires really need to be changed at 60,000 miles? I am
going to change the spark plugs, but I am not sure if the wires really
need to be changed at 60,000 miles and 5 years. I have a 1999 Solora.
It is $250 for wires and plugs at the dealership, but a local shop says
he will replace the plugs only for around $70, and he says it is not
necessary to change the wires. That is a big cost savings, but I am
not sure about not changing the wires.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:55 PM
Steve Bigelow

http://catalog.autotoyotaparts.com/?...=1999&x=32&y=3

1999 Solara V6 plugs wires by NGK, $45

ups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 06:03 PM
Sean Dinh

I still have original wires on my 92 Civic. I haven't touch anything on my
99 Odyssey besides oil and filter. 60k/99 is too new to require new wires.

Old January 3rd 05, 07:44 PM
halo2 guy

not unless there has been oil leaking on them, you have a driveability
problem related to them or if they are cracked

ups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 10:34 PM

Total agreement. Wires used to poop out, until the late 1980's or so.
They're one of the most reliable parts of the car now, and absolutely
do not need routine replacement.

JM

Old January 4th 05, 05:59 AM
speedy

Hey hey, If that were true, I would have never gotten all those free
ones under lifetime warranty at Autozone.

Your best measure of when the wires are REALLY bad is poor driveability
in damp weather that goes away when the car warms up. If it doesnt go
away, you waited too long. (-:

-SP

Old January 4th 05, 02:02 PM
o. phooey

My approach to dealer service intervals may not be for everyone, but it
has worked for me. With all the money I save by not doing the $$
service checks, I've built up quite a bundle to pay for what really
goes wrong. My view became such, subsequent to a multi$$ service.
Something failed immediataley thereafter, and I had to shell out
multi$$ to fix it. Of course I will do the engine and transmission oil
changes and the occasional radiator flush, but if it's a check up, I
pass. Unless they start guaranteeing that after spending multi$$ to
check everything, nothing goes wrong for say, a year, or so. I bought
my first Honda in 1965 ( a 150cc Dream MC). Cheers
p.s. I might use all those savings for a retirement fund.....;-)).....

Old January 4th 05, 06:14 PM

You're right, of course. I was only referring to the longevity of
quality OEM ignition wires.

JM

Old January 5th 05, 12:15 AM

My 1985 Toyota Celica ST had ~100K when I bought her.
I changed all the hoses, plug wires, filters, fluids becaue
I got the car for $1800 and I wanted it to last.
I drover her 11 years, put over an aditional 270K before
the oddemter died in the 7th year and the plug wires are still
in great shape. The engine/tranny are great. The body is
very sad and while yoy won't get wet riding in her, it was time
for a "New" car.
Change them when you suspect them.
Bad wires will give plenty of warning before
they die. Misssing at idel and while cold,or on real
humid days. When that happens, don't wait, change
then ASAP. This assumes you check the rotar and cap
at regular intervals. I check mine the first week of April
and the last week of Oct., roughly every 6 months.
Terry

Old January 5th 05, 12:40 AM
SoCalMike

o. phooey wrote:

> p.s. I might use all those savings for a retirement fund.....;-)).....

best way to go. anyone can do their own "checks", and should. i check
the whole underside of my car every time i do an oil/filter change. CV
boots, leaks, etc. i check the pad thickness when i rotate the tires. to
me the important stuff is-

3 yrs- clutch/brake fluids, coolant. by changing the fluids, you keep
the crap out that causes excessive wear.

oil changes@7500mi, air filter, spark plugs every 30k miles. thats about
it.