A3 Golf Oil Filter Removal Tool

Old November 3rd 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jeff[_41_]

Default A3 Golf Oil Filter Removal Tool

I think I pulled a back muscle removing the oil filter on my 96 Golf
2.0L this weekend. Since this is obviously a design issue that has
nothing to do with my age, I was wondering if there are any good
filter removal tools out there. The strap wrench style tool does not
fit up in there.

Jeff
Old November 3rd 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

"Jeff" > wrote in message
>I think I pulled a back muscle removing the oil filter on my 96 Golf
> 2.0L this weekend. Since this is obviously a design issue that has
> nothing to do with my age, I was wondering if there are any good
> filter removal tools out there. The strap wrench style tool does not
> fit up in there.
>
> Jeff

I've seen 2 common spin-on oil filter diameter sizes that a adapter for
removing the oil filter via the end of the oil filter. The adapter I've
used in the past fits a 3/8" ratchet. Found this difficult to use on my 88
Fox requiring a specific size extension. After that used a few times, I
went to using a pair of cowhide work gloves. Much easier to work with that
way.
--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old November 3rd 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bear Trap

I have the same car so I understand the problem. The first time I
encountered this problem I bought a very large vice grip pliers at Home
Depot. It has concave blades and is large enough to grip (and partially
destroy) the filter. There is enough maneuvering room to loosen and then
hand remove the filter. When I install a filter myself and do not
over-tighten (after making light, snug contact apply another 1/2 turn) I do
not have trouble removing the filter by hand while wearing leather gloves.

Old November 4th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SnoBrdr

Jeff > wrote:

>I think I pulled a back muscle removing the oil filter on my 96 Golf
>2.0L this weekend. Since this is obviously a design issue that has
>nothing to do with my age, I was wondering if there are any good
>filter removal tools out there. The strap wrench style tool does not
>fit up in there.
>
>Jeff

There's a ton of diff models.

Basically it's a cup that fits on the bottom of the oil filet. Use a
extention and a racket and it comes right off.
Old November 4th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I use something like this so that my ratchet connection is off center
allowing the use of 3/8" extensions.
http://www.amazon.com/OIL-FILTER-STR...8483&sr =8-40

But use whatever works from a large Channel Lock Pliers to large anti-slip
mats for a good grip so you can use your hands.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)