is250 vs. 325i

Old August 22nd 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rex B[_1_]

Default World Affairs 101 Test

Dodgy wrote:

> Basically you get fundamentalist nutters in all religions.
>
> One of the more worrying things is the current US administration is
> being propped up by Christian ones.

You mean the current president, who is a Christian, is supported by
Christians like the ones that founded this country. And by the way,
those supporters, including Christians, voted this administration in
twice. Not props, votes. Yeah, I'm losing lots of sleep over that one!

> The sooner everyone learns to accept each others differences and not
> continue the "they started it" or "non-believer, burn him" conflicts
> the better for the rest of us who are just getting sick of it, or
> worse getting killed.

Sure. explain that to a Muslim fundamentalist.
Here is how that works:
http://hurricaneharry.blogspot.com/2...errorists.html
Old August 22nd 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Z

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message

> >> People die in car accidents and of disease eevry day. 36 people

died
> >> in a ferry accident yesterday. None of this is "newsworthy" and

> >they're
> >> just as senseless of a death. There are wars, famine, poverty,

> >pestilence
> >> and suffering all over the plalet, but it's best not to fixare on

any
> >> one squabble...

> >And you think that given the magnitude of the plot recently

uncovered,
> >we needn't concern ourselves? You think it's no different that some
> >accident at sea? Is that what you get from watching the beeb?

> That that the facts that the alleged explosve was impossible to make

on
> a plane and the daming evidence was obtained during torture the only

certaintly
> is it'll increase funding to the wonks that promulgate this fear,

uncertainty
> and doubt.

The issue is not whether this one idea is feasible, but the magnitude of
the endeavor. If they keep trying, they're bound to succeed eventually.
Especially, if we're complacent about it.

> The lack of critical thinking is appalling.

Agreed.

> >> ...and it certainly has no place here.

> >Then why do you keep replying?

> Is this a trick question?

Yes.

Old August 22nd 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

Default German car? no thanks (was is250 vs. 325i)

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> Life is full of choices. For example, I prefer to be on the beach in
> Hawaii over driving a BMW. If I can do both, great. If not, if I have
> to rank them, I'll take the beach.

There's the difference between an enthusiast (me) and someone who
merely owns a BMW. I'll be driving. Preferably in competition or at
notably high speeds - at sanctioned events.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old August 23rd 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

wrote:
> E28 Guyİ wrote:
> > How would you know? Ever lost traction in your BMW? Ever autocrossed
> > in it? Ever engaged the ABS on dry pavement? I'm betting your driving
> > never has and probably never will come close to the performance
> > envelope of your car.

> So, where do you play all these fun and games. Have your own
> road course on your property?

No; it's 22 miles southwest. We call it "Road America". Sometimes I
go to other tracks (Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Sebring,
Brainerd, Grattan, GingerMan, Blackhawk Farms, etc.) or autocross
venues; but this one's 'home' for me.

> I used to drive like this some when I was 16.

No; you drove like a 16-year-old. We all did. Then, faced with the
choice of becoming boring old farts in Toyotas or competent
performance/competition drivers, some of us (like me) got education and
experience that allows me to do things perfectly safely that would
scare the living crap out of you.

> Some guys never mature beyond that. You sound more like boy than man.

Maturity is overrated; but do you want to see my AARP card? Want to
take a lap of Road America at speed with me? I teach other BMW owners
how to drive fast.

> > OOH! Speed limits! Yeah; I've heard of them. I use 'em as advisory
> > numbers when I'm anywhere near traffic.

> How's your driving history?

Pleaded no contest to a 44 in a 35 back in Y2K. Couple of 'roadside
chats' since. Mostly because they don't much like my WARP ONE plates
.... =;^)

> How much in insurance premiums?

What; and make you jealous? I insure a small fleet of about six
vehicles in a very crime-free and safe state. It would only **** you
off to find that I've had a 'safe driver' rating for decades.

> > An enthusiast can often fix it. But messing up your manicure working
> > on your car would be beneath *you*, wouldn't it?

> Manicure my ass. My hands are scuffed up as I speak from doing
> work under the hood last week (belt replacements). The frigging
> things were already cracking at 28,000 miles.

I remember breaking one of those somewhere around 165,000 miles. It
probably wasn't an original. So now I carry a spare alternator/fan
belt. In May, I put on a 'borrowed' a/c compressor belt in a Chicago
rest stop with no tools whatsoever, let alone any hand scuffing.
Frankly, your belts probably were fine for another 20,000 miles.

Regular maintenance does not translate to unreliability and an
enthusiast does not begrudge the car its regular care in any case. My
E28s have actually stranded me exactly once since Y2K - for a broken
harmonic balancer that I removed and threw away (It's an unneeded part
- but I didn't know that at the time.). I once performed 'field
repairs' to a broken accelerator cable (@~225K miles) to limp home. I
also avoided much driving after I sprang a big oil leak that I feared
was a head gasket, but it was only a pan gasket. I could drive it, but
it was rather a profligate waste of dead dinosaur fluids.

Other than that, I drive them. Not 'cruise' to be seen - *drive*.
Back in May, it was autocross (2nd in class, dammit!) with other E12
and E28 fanatics over in South Bend. In a little over two weeks, it
will be just about the oldest car circulating Road America with a
hundred or more BMW club enthusiasts. I figure on maybe 0.9G cornering
and around 130 mph after The Kink if things are going well. So what
are your plans that weekend?
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old August 23rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On 22 Aug 2006 16:19:17 -0700, "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:

wrote:
>> Fred W wrote:

>> > Oh that's right... BMW doesn't make belts. They buy them just like
>> > every other freeking car manufacturer.

>> Yeah, just like they buy those ****ty GM France auto trannies and stick
>> them in their new cars at the BMW factory.

>I thought we'd discussed this already. BMW puts 'frou-frou'
>transmissions in the cars that are driven by 'frou-frou' drivers. Mine
>says, "Getrag" and that thingy on top looks like this:
>
>R 1 3 5
> I__I_I_I
> I I
> 2 4

Mine has a 6 on it as well.

>It's OK; ask a Real Manİ to explain it to you. Or my wife. Her
>Jaguar thingy looks the same way.

^^^^^^
ITYM Ford.
--
Dan.
Old August 23rd 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
Toby

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:40:13 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Toby > wrote:
>
>> >No, "top posting corrected" explains that the OP did something wrong.

>> Ah. Internet police. Didn't see the badge there...

>No, simply demanding simple courtesy.
>
>Why do you think the internet has different rules?

If you are incapable of figuring out how to read someone's post, you
(and your educational institution) have my deepest sympathy.

It's not an issue of courtesy. Some people's readers are set up that
way. Could they change it? I don't know, but probably. But it may
be beyond their knowledge.

For you to assume otherwise is discourteous. Ironic, no?
Old August 23rd 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Z

"Rex B" > wrote in message
> Dodgy wrote:
>
> > Basically you get fundamentalist nutters in all religions.
> >
> > One of the more worrying things is the current US administration is
> > being propped up by Christian ones.

> You mean the current president, who is a Christian, is supported by
> Christians like the ones that founded this country. And by the way,
> those supporters, including Christians, voted this administration in
> twice. Not props, votes. Yeah, I'm losing lots of sleep over that

one!

> > The sooner everyone learns to accept each others differences and not
> > continue the "they started it" or "non-believer, burn him" conflicts
> > the better for the rest of us who are just getting sick of it, or
> > worse getting killed.

> Sure. explain that to a Muslim fundamentalist.
> Here is how that works:

http://hurricaneharry.blogspot.com/2...e-with-terrori
sts.html

Excellent! Thanks for that one!

Old August 23rd 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Z

"Richard Sexton" > wrote in message

> That that the facts that the alleged explosve was impossible to make

on
> a plane and the daming evidence was obtained during torture the only

certaintly
> is it'll increase funding to the wonks that promulgate this fear,

uncertainty
> and doubt.

http://www.interesting-people.org/ar...ple/200608/msg
00087.html
> http://www.craigmurray.co.uk/archive..._terror_p.html
> http://science.slashdot.org/article..../08/17/1858222

Now that we know the magnitude of the project to blow up 10 airplanes
over the Atlantic, I doubt that Al Queda would have put all that money
and effort into that mission unless they were extremely confident it
would work. Many of Al Queda are very capable Western-educated
engineers.

You can quote all the naysayers you want. There's a similar body of
articles written before the Wright brothers that said it was impossible
for man to fly, too.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." Lord Kelvin, ca.
1895, British mathematician and physicist.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.lexus,alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "E28 Guyİ" > wrote:
> >
> > There's the difference between an enthusiast (me) and someone who
> > merely owns a BMW. I'll be driving. Preferably in competition or at
> > notably high speeds - at sanctioned events.

> And you'll miss what being on Hawaii is all about.
>
> But since you'll never know it, you can't miss it, I guess.

Hawaii, the Caribbean coast of Quintana Roo; pretty much the same to me
for lazing on white sand under coconut palms, only lots closer. I do
know it. I'd still rather be driving fast.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

325i vs 325xi SLD1969 BMW 14 October 17th 05 09:59 AM
Car & Driver tests new 325i - they like it GRL BMW 0 October 8th 05 08:34 PM
'95 325i is a little slow vs. '02 330 Tom Allen BMW 9 May 1st 05 12:42 PM
BMW 325i reliability and maintenance Dan BMW 3 April 16th 05 04:34 PM
93 325i Erik BMW 7 January 2nd 05 04:13 PM