94 Intrepid water pump

Old May 19th 04, 04:53 AM
tomtyo

Default 94 Intrepid water pump

Where is the water pump located on a 94 3.5? I have a leak coming from
under the front main seal area which appears to from the water pump. How
hard is it to change out?

Old May 19th 04, 06:24 AM
Gene Poon

tomtyo wrote:

> Where is the water pump located on a 94 3.5? I have a leak coming from
> under the front main seal area which appears to from the water pump. How
> hard is it to change out?

Unless you have done moderately involved engine work, don't try it
yourself. Unlike the 3.3L, which on an LH car has probably the
easiest-to-replace water pump you could imagine, the water pump in the
3.5L is inside the timing belt housing and is driven by the timing belt.
Replacement of the water pump requires removal of the crankshaft
pulley and other parts, removal of the timing belt front cover, and
removal (or at least loosening) of the timing belt. Putting it all back
together, you would need to verify that the timing among the crankshaft
and both camshafts is correct, or the engine will run badly when you are
finished. If, as is likely, your car has already gone 100,000 miles, it
is time to replace the timing belt anyway, and the water pump should be
done at the same time. If you have a dealer do it, they should be using
MoPar parts. If you have an independent do it, make sure they use the
best water pump they can get, a MoPar one if need be. This is NOT the
kind of job you want to do over because the replacement pump leaks.

-GP
Old May 19th 04, 06:24 AM
Gene Poon

Old May 19th 04, 06:42 AM
Ted

Don't forget to change the "O" rings in the back too,, need to take the back
plate off behind the timing belt for that.

Old May 19th 04, 06:42 AM
Ted

Old May 19th 04, 01:45 PM
55chevy210

that whole operation sounds like a larger sized Neon motor. Did Chrysler do
all their front-wheel drive engines the same in that respect?
.com...

Old May 19th 04, 01:45 PM
55chevy210

that whole operation sounds like a larger sized Neon motor. Did Chrysler do
all their front-wheel drive engines the same in that respect?
.com...

Old May 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Neil Nelson

In article >,
"Ted" > wrote:

> Don't forget to change the "O" rings in the back too,, need to take the back
> plate off behind the timing belt for that.

Agree 100%
Old May 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Neil Nelson

Old May 20th 04, 03:54 AM
tomtyo

Thanks for the help. I am going to tackle it this weekend!

E36 Water Pump Failing DC BMW 5 December 14th 04 10:05 AM
E34 water pump Alex BMW 1 November 24th 04 11:20 PM
water pump on 1999 A4 Buying a Used Audi Audi 4 November 10th 04 08:05 AM
Preventative Water Pump Replacement on 1.8T Engine? Don Borowski Audi 3 June 14th 04 03:49 PM
'97 Audi A6 water pump replacement rong Audi 1 May 27th 04 05:35 PM