1987 528e poor gas mileage

Old October 1st 05, 09:03 PM

Default 1987 528e poor gas mileage

I recently bought this car and the mileage I get out of it is just
awful. Im at 1/4 full after being at full and have only driven about
200km. What the heck is going on?

--
FZero
FZero's Profile: http://cars.mylounge.com/member.php?userid=70813

Old October 2nd 05, 12:30 AM
Raybender

> I recently bought this car and the mileage I get out of it is just
> awful. Im at 1/4 full after being at full and have only driven about
> 200km. What the heck is going on?
>
> --
> FZero
> FZero's Profile:
http://cars.mylounge.com/member.php?userid=70813
> View this thread: http://cars.mylounge.com/showthread.php?t=146064

Have you actually checked the mileage by refilling the tank and using the
gallons shown on the pump? If not, my first guess would be a bad fuel
gauge.

Frank

Old October 2nd 05, 02:49 AM

Yea I did check it by filling. The car is a damn pig.

Old October 2nd 05, 03:34 AM
Don Corleone

malfunctioning 02 sensor?

Old October 2nd 05, 12:04 PM
John Burns

> I recently bought this car and the mileage I get out of it is just
> awful. Im at 1/4 full after being at full and have only driven about
> 200km. What the heck is going on?

It could be stuck in cold start mode due to a bad temp sensor (or
wiring) and running rich.

Morronic equiped cars do not like badly worn distributor caps / rotor
arms. Replacing them could result in much better mpg and high end
performance.

It's also not impossible you have a stuck fuel pressure regulator. Stick
a glass bottle on it's output and see if you get any fuel coming
through.

You ought to be getting at LEAST high 20 or low 30s mpg.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old October 2nd 05, 11:47 PM
Nicik Name

Old October 3rd 05, 02:54 AM

My stepdad was on vacation, hes a mechanic. He'll take a look at it
tomorrow. I dont know anything about cars.