25% of car crashes involve cellphones

Old August 2nd 13, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year

Default 25% of car crashes involve cellphones

Texting drivers are psychopaths with no concern for the safety of others. They belong in prison but we don't have room for that. But we can make text driving a felony which means they lose many job opportunities and housing access and welfare and right to own guns and in some states the right to vote. That will get their attention.

Quote:

http://www.marke****ch.com/story/why...7-31?link=sfmw

July 31, 2013, 1:58 p.m. EDT

Despite all the warnings about the dangers of talking or texting while driving, transportation experts say the situation is only getting worse.

The driver of the train that derailed in Spain, killing 79 people and injuring many others, was talking on his cellphone to an employee of the state-run train company, Renfe, according to court statements released Tuesday. Francisco José Garzón Amo reportedly picked up his cellphone to receive directions on his route before the derailment, the official statement said. The train was moving 119 mph at the time—more than twice the recommended speed on that stretch, according to the court. This kind of cellphone distraction in all modes of transport is a growing problem in the U.S. too. “It’s on our most-wanted list of transportation-safety improvements,” says Terry Williams, a spokesman for the National Transportation Safety Board.

Some 25% of car crashes are likely caused by cellphone use, according to a May 2013 report from the National Safety Council. Drivers using cellphones fail to see up to 50% of the information in their environment, says David Teater, senior director at the NSC. And the risk of getting in crashes from texting is getting worse, he says. Texting is increasing in popularity inside and outside of the driver’s seat: One in three Americans favors texting over calling, according to a 2011 study by Pew Research Center, and Americans send an average of 41 texts a day (with those ages 19 to 25 sending an average of 110 texts a day)
__________________

Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

NAACP = Negro Affirmative Action, Caucasian Persecution
Old August 3rd 13, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Reailty Check

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 18:29:19 -0700 (PDT), "Criminal Drivers Murder
35,000 Americans a Year" > wrote:

>Texting drivers are psyc <bitch slap>

And 100% of car crashes involve cars, you ****ing idiot. Why don't we
just make possession of a car a felony and take your twisted logic to
its final faggoty conclusion.

RC
Old August 3rd 13, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
NotMe

wrote in message

[...]

I recall a similar claim in the mid 90's. In the end the data turned out to
be a correlation between drivers who had cell phone service and were
involved in auto accidents. There was no comparison run on the coincidental
use of the phones and the accident.

FWIW there was a similar correlation with drivers who suffered from
hemorrhoids and had auto accidents. So one could make a good claim that
imperfect a**h***s were a proximate cause of auto accidents.

Old August 4th 13, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 16:39:00 -0500, "NotMe" > wrote:

>"Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year" >
>wrote in message
>
>Texting drivers are psychopaths with no concern for the safety of others.
>They belong in prison but we don't have room for that. But we can make text
>driving a felony which means they lose many job opportunities and housing
>access and welfare and right to own guns and in some states the right to
>vote. That will get their attention.
>
>Quote:
>
>http://www.marke****ch.com/story/why...7-31?link=sfmw
>
>July 31, 2013, 1:58 p.m. EDT
>

>Despite all the warnings about the dangers of talking or texting while
>driving, transportation experts say the situation is only getting worse.
>
>The driver of the train that derailed in Spain, killing 79 people and
>injuring many others, was talking on his cellphone to an employee of the
>state-run train company, Renfe, according to court statements released
>Tuesday. Francisco José Garzón Amo reportedly picked up his cellphone to
>receive directions on his route before the derailment, the official
>statement said. The train was moving 119 mph at the time—more than twice the
>recommended speed on that stretch, according to the court. This kind of
>cellphone distraction in all modes of transport is a growing problem in the
>U.S. too. “It’s on our most-wanted list of transportation-safety
>improvements,” says Terry Williams, a spokesman for the National
>Transportation Safety Board.
>
>Some 25% of car crashes are likely caused by cellphone use, according to a
>May 2013 report from the National Safety Council. Drivers using cellphones
>fail to see up to 50% of the information in their environment, says David
>Teater, senior director at the NSC. And the risk of getting in crashes from
>texting is getting worse, he says. Texting is increasing in popularity
>inside and outside of the driver’s seat: One in three Americans favors
>texting over calling, according to a 2011 study by Pew Research Center, and
>Americans send an average of 41 texts a day (with those ages 19 to 25
>sending an average of 110 texts a day)
>__________________
>

>I recall a similar claim in the mid 90's. In the end the data turned out to
>be a correlation between drivers who had cell phone service and were
>involved in auto accidents. There was no comparison run on the coincidental
>use of the phones and the accident.
>
>FWIW there was a similar correlation with drivers who suffered from
>hemorrhoids and had auto accidents. So one could make a good claim that
>imperfect a**h***s were a proximate cause of auto accidents.

Yes, the whole thing is almost complete and utter bull****. If Cell
phones were the horrible danger these idiots claim the roads would be
awash in blood instead of safer than they have ever been. Literally
every study of "cell phone distraction" is hopelessly flawed. The
purposely MAKE people answer a phone in situations that a person would
never bother with the phone if they were on the road driving. Think
about it, 15 years ago almost no one used cell phones while driving.
now almost everyone does. Yet there has not even been a tiny blip in
the continuing downward trend in accident statistics. Clearly, out on
the highways, there is almost no impact on safety from people using
cell phones. Sure, one time out of 10000 someone on a phone will have
an accident. Well so will someone tuning their radio, or looking for
the big Mac they just dropped on the floor. No rational person would
call for laws outlawing big Macs or turning your radio but they have
this bug up their ass about cell phones. Some people just never get
enough of telling others how to live their lives.