Ignition is locked

Old February 20th 05, 01:57 AM
momcat21

Default Ignition is locked

Drove the car into the parking lot, turned it off, took out the key. Went
back the next day - key won't turn the ignition. Steering is locked. It's
like somebody switched keys (impossible since all three keys in the family
won't turn the ignition). Steering wheel is locked, car in park, can't
move it.

Old February 20th 05, 03:44 AM
Tj

Turn the steering wheel, then turn the key

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 20th 05, 04:20 AM
tom

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:57:55 -0500, "momcat21"
> wrote:

>Drove the car into the parking lot, turned it off, took out the key. Went
>back the next day - key won't turn the ignition. Steering is locked. It's
>like somebody switched keys (impossible since all three keys in the family
>won't turn the ignition). Steering wheel is locked, car in park, can't
>move it.

imho:

Might have to rock(giggle) the stearing wheel back and forth while
operating the key.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old February 20th 05, 04:22 AM
marx404

Hi, I believe that you will find this a very repeated topic if you were to
search this forum. Anyways, that is a common "feature" of the Saturn
ignition column. When in park, the column locks itself and requires turning
the steering wheel in order to free the lock cylinder. This is some sort of
safety feature, I had once been told that this is for anti-theft and also
helps if the car is parked on a hill.

No worries, wiggle or turn the sterring wheel if this occurs, then the key
will turn.
marx404

Old February 21st 05, 08:48 PM
James1549

Typically you have to "rock" the steering wheel back and forth on mine
also and I figured out why. When I turn off the ignition, the wheel is
not really locked until you move it abit for the lock pawl to fall into
the groove.

Then I noticed that when I get out of the car, I pull myself out using
the steering wheel moving it to a locked position. But now it has
stress on it because the PS is not working with the engine being off.
Needless to say, you must release the tension before the key will turn
when starting the car the next time.

Now for the bad news... the lock cylinders in the early Saturns are
notorius for going bad. I know, I had to replace mine once I got it
towed home. Actually my key got stuck in the cylinder and wouldn't let
me turn it either way or come out.

It is a tricky repair, but not impossible. James

Old February 21st 05, 09:31 PM
Saturn

I am going to go in a little bit of direction and say it is a worn key.
My '00 LS1 would wear the key down very quickly so that the key would
go in but you would realyy jiggle and play with it before it would
ingage. Try a different key and if that is the issue then get a new
key made from the master if you have one.

Old February 22nd 05, 01:26 AM
tom

On 21 Feb 2005 12:48:08 -0800, "James1549" > wrote:

>Typically you have to "rock" the steering wheel back and forth on mine
>also and I figured out why. When I turn off the ignition, the wheel is
>not really locked until you move it abit for the lock pawl to fall into
>the groove.
>
>Then I noticed that when I get out of the car, I pull myself out using
>the steering wheel moving it to a locked position. But now it has
>stress on it because the PS is not working with the engine being off.
>Needless to say, you must release the tension before the key will turn
>when starting the car the next time.
>
>Now for the bad news... the lock cylinders in the early Saturns are
>notorius for going bad. I know, I had to replace mine once I got it
>towed home. Actually my key got stuck in the cylinder and wouldn't let
>me turn it either way or come out.
>
>It is a tricky repair, but not impossible. James

Ouch, I'm sure through the tow you were cussing up a storm, or atleast
I would be.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Old February 24th 05, 02:02 AM
momcat21

We tried three different keys -- none of them work, so it's not a worn key.
Also tried jiggling the steering wheel -- several attempts -- nothing.
Looks like we've got to have it towed. Thanks for all the help--wish we
had an easy answer.

Old February 24th 05, 03:05 AM
Bob Shuman

I've had a similar problem in another vehicle and have managed to get by for
a couple years by removing and re-lubricating the lock assembly from the
vehicle. The funny thing is you need to be able to turn the key to remove
the cylinder on my Chrysler which has had this problem. I learned that you
can take a small hammer and tap on the key a bit and if you turn while doing
it then it will unlock. Once I've gotten it disassembled and lubricated it
usually has worked fine for the next 9-12 months but when cold weather comes
it gets stuck again. I know I need to break down and buy another cylinder,
but the want $300 to "key" it to my VIN from the dealer so I have been
delaying...

Maybe this procedure can help you on the Saturn.

Bob

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 24th 05, 02:01 PM
Napalm Heart

"momcat21" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> We tried three different keys -- none of them work, so it's not a

worn key.
> Also tried jiggling the steering wheel -- several attempts --

nothing.
> Looks like we've got to have it towed. Thanks for all the help--wish

we
> had an easy answer.

You may have to do more than just 'jiggle' the steering wheel. If
there is any pressure loaded on the wheel, you may have to put a good
amount of force into moving the steering wheel while trying to move
the key.

Ken

Interesting Ignition Revelation Randall Brink VW air cooled 21 February 10th 05 12:26 AM
1994 Mazda 626 Ignition Switch Problem? Danish Mazda 4 December 26th 04 02:59 AM
Civic ignition coil problem Sean Honda 8 December 13th 04 02:43 PM
Ignition wont start car oeasm Honda 1 November 9th 04 03:33 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM