Volvo Device Automatically Slams The Brakes When It Spots Pedestrians, Cyclists In Car’s Path

Old March 6th 13, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year

Default Volvo Device Automatically Slams The Brakes When It Spots Pedestrians, Cyclists In Car’s Path

This is gonna add thousands of $ to the cost of a car and would not be
necessary except people are psychos who insist on driving while
texting or playing with the CD player or radio.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...-in-cars-path/

March 5, 2013 11:39 PM
SANTA MONICA (CBSLA.com) —
The high-definition cameras, which are located in the rear-view mirror
and the car’s radar, first sends the driver warning lights and sounds
when a person or bicyclist comes too close to the vehicle.

If the driver fails to react, that’s when the car will then come to a
stop.

Drivers believe the new technology could make a difference in people’s
lives in today’s world of distracted motorists.

According to Volvo, the radar device will be available in May and
become standard in all of its 2014 models.
Old March 6th 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_8_]

Judy **** For Brains Dairya spewed:

> This is gonna add thousands of $ to the cost of a car and would not be

No it won't, you stupid american (sic) bitch. Just like everything else you claim will, "add thousands of $ to the cost of a car," has yet to do so.

> necessary except people are psychos who insist on driving while
>
> texting or playing with the CD player or radio.

Just like you do on a regular basis. Except you do it while speeding through school zones and mowing down first graders.

Old March 8th 13, 12:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/06/2013 03:05 PM, necromancer wrote:
> Judy **** For Brains Dairya spewed:
>
>> This is gonna add thousands of $ to the cost of a car and would not
>> be

> No it won't, you stupid american (sic) bitch. Just like everything
> else you claim will, "add thousands of $ to the cost of a car," has
> yet to do so.

Well, death by a thousand cuts. There's definitely thousands of dollars
worth of mandatory stuff on a car that isn't on, say, my '55 Stude
coupe. Collapsible steering column, door beams, airbags, ABS/DSC, OBD2,
catalytic converters, etc. etc. etc. Some are definitely Good Things,
some of them have questionable value.

>> necessary except people are psychos who insist on driving while
>>
>> texting or playing with the CD player or radio.

> Just like you do on a regular basis. Except you do it while speeding
> through school zones and mowing down first graders.

Indeed.

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 8th 13, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

On Mar 8, 3:49*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 03/06/2013 03:05 PM, necromancer wrote:
>
> > Judy **** For Brains Dairya spewed:

> >> This is gonna add thousands of $ to the cost of a car and would not
> >> be

> > No it won't, you stupid american (sic) bitch. Just like everything
> > else you claim will, "add thousands of $ to the cost of a car," has
> > yet to do so.

> Well, death by a thousand cuts. *There's definitely thousands of dollars
> worth of mandatory stuff on a car that isn't on, say, my '55 Stude
> coupe. *Collapsible steering column, door beams, airbags, ABS/DSC, OBD2,
> catalytic converters, etc. etc. etc. *Some are definitely Good Things,
> some of them have questionable value.
>

> >> necessary except people are psychos who insist on driving while

> >> texting or playing with the CD player or radio.

> > Just like you do on a regular basis. Except you do it while speeding
> > through school zones and mowing down first graders.

> Indeed.
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The latest is the Tire Pressure Monitor crap. Very little application
for "safety", lots for reducting fuel consumption. One can throw away
any extra wheels for snow tires unless they are equipmmed iwht the
instrument (?transmitter?).

Harry K
Old March 9th 13, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Mar 8, 4:49*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:

> Well, death by a thousand cuts. *There's definitely thousands of dollars
> worth of mandatory stuff on a car that isn't on, say, my '55 Stude
> coupe. *Collapsible steering column, door beams, airbags, ABS/DSC, OBD2,
> catalytic converters, etc. etc. etc. *Some are definitely Good Things,
> some of them have questionable value.

The auto industy adds safety features so they can charge more for the
car and to give people a sense of safety and thus
encourage them to drive recklessly. The industry wants more car
crashes since car crashes mean car sales.
Old March 9th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/08/2013 03:16 PM, Harry K wrote:
> On Mar 8, 3:49 am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> On 03/06/2013 03:05 PM, necromancer wrote:
>>
>>> Judy **** For Brains Dairya spewed:

>>> No it won't, you stupid american (sic) bitch. Just like everything
>>> else you claim will, "add thousands of $ to the cost of a car," has
>>> yet to do so.

>> Well, death by a thousand cuts. There's definitely thousands of dollars
>> worth of mandatory stuff on a car that isn't on, say, my '55 Stude
>> coupe. Collapsible steering column, door beams, airbags, ABS/DSC, OBD2,
>> catalytic converters, etc. etc. etc. Some are definitely Good Things,
>> some of them have questionable value.

>>> Just like you do on a regular basis. Except you do it while speeding
>>> through school zones and mowing down first graders.

>> Indeed.
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> The latest is the Tire Pressure Monitor crap. Very little application
> for "safety", lots for reducting fuel consumption. One can throw away
> any extra wheels for snow tires unless they are equipmmed iwht the
> instrument (?transmitter?).
>
> Harry K

the real value of TPMS comes when you are using run-flat tires...
because of the ultra-stiff sidewalls you may not notice a flat tire just
tooling down the highway until you go into a curve and/or the tire just
starts disintegrating.

Personally I'm old school, I'd rather just carry a full sized spare, but
mfgrs. don't seem to like that option anymore.

nate
Old March 9th 13, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 3/9/2013 2:46 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 03:16 PM, Harry K wrote:

>>> Well, death by a thousand cuts. There's definitely thousands of dollars
>>> worth of mandatory stuff on a car that isn't on, say, my '55 Stude
>>> coupe. Collapsible steering column, door beams, airbags, ABS/DSC, OBD2,
>>> catalytic converters, etc. etc. etc. Some are definitely Good Things,
>>> some of them have questionable value.

>>> Indeed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

>> The latest is the Tire Pressure Monitor crap. Very little application
>> for "safety", lots for reducting fuel consumption. One can throw away
>> any extra wheels for snow tires unless they are equipmmed iwht the
>> instrument (?transmitter?).
>>
>> Harry K
>>

> the real value of TPMS comes when you are using run-flat tires...
> because of the ultra-stiff sidewalls you may not notice a flat tire just
> tooling down the highway until you go into a curve and/or the tire just
> starts disintegrating.
>
> Personally I'm old school, I'd rather just carry a full sized spare, but
> mfgrs. don't seem to like that option anymore.

One big incentive for that was to remove the spare on the backs of SUV's
while not taking up more space in or under the cargo area.

Old March 10th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/09/2013 04:11 PM, Sancho Panza wrote:
> On 3/9/2013 2:46 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> The latest is the Tire Pressure Monitor crap. Very little application
>>> for "safety", lots for reducting fuel consumption. One can throw away
>>> any extra wheels for snow tires unless they are equipmmed iwht the
>>> instrument (?transmitter?).
>>>
>>> Harry K
>>>

>> the real value of TPMS comes when you are using run-flat tires...
>> because of the ultra-stiff sidewalls you may not notice a flat tire just
>> tooling down the highway until you go into a curve and/or the tire just
>> starts disintegrating.
>>
>> Personally I'm old school, I'd rather just carry a full sized spare, but
>> mfgrs. don't seem to like that option anymore.

> One big incentive for that was to remove the spare on the backs of SUV's
> while not taking up more space in or under the cargo area.

I don't personally mind a tailgate mounted spare... but maybe that's
just me.

Another example that I'm familiar with is the E9x (and presumably F30 as
well) 3-series where BMW apparently simply decided to use the space
under the trunk floor for other purposes. At least in the 335 the
mufflers take up all of that real estate, and even if one were willing
to go with an aftermarket exhaust with smaller or no mufflers and
fabricate a custom trunk floor (not as bad as it sounds; the trunk floor
is plastic and bolts in,) the space behind the rear axle doesn't appear
to be long enough to hold a full sized spare. If a spare were provided
it would likely have to be carried vertically to fit - I'm envisioning a
setup similar to my old Porsche 944 where the well was at the very rear
of the car with the wheel bolted to the inside of the rear panel of the
body. (however, you couldn't fit a full sized spare in that well either,
it was a collapsible deal made by Continental, and you had to carry a
small compressor with you.)

Sadly, it seems to be pretty much a clear consensus among enthusiasts
that replacing the RFTs with conventional tires (current favorite seems
to be Pilot Super Sport) and adding a spare tire (and killing half the
trunk space) is the way to go for both ride and handling.

BUT... and this is a big but... one can definitely see a safety
advantage to a RFT in one specific situation. What if a tire goes down
at ultra-high speed, e.g. a hot run down the Autobahn? Rather than have
to carefully haul down a squirming car from 130+ MPH, the RFTs are
easier to control than a completely flat conventional tire.

(I'm pretty much thinking out loud here...) you win some, you lose
some. I do wish, however, that provisions for carrying a full sized
spare were provided however, even though it might not be the right
solution for everyone. I'm currently carrying a donut spare because my
winter Blizzaks aren't RFTs, but it's still not an optimal solution for
me because the part of my mind that likes to be prepared for every
eventuality knows that if I get a flat more than 50 miles from a tire
shop (actually possible, if it happens while driving from DC to
Pittsburgh or vice versa) I'm then reliant on roadside assistance to get
me going again, rather than simply changing a tire and keeping on going.

nate

Old March 13th 13, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking
Matt Wiser

"Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year" >
wrote in message

drivel snipped....

So Crazy Judy is in favor of a gadget on a car? Last time I heard, she
wanted car radios, CD players, CB radios, etc. banned. Along with air
conditioning. Hypocritical snob....

Old March 13th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime,misc.transport.trucking

On Mar 12, 10:46*pm, "Matt Wiser" > wrote:
> "Criminal Drivers Murder 35,000 Americans a Year" >
> wrote in ...
>
> drivel snipped....
>
> So Crazy Judy is in favor of a gadget on a car? Last time I heard, she
> wanted car radios, CD players, CB radios, etc. banned. Along with air
> conditioning. Hypocritical snob....

You can't read. I made it clear in the opening post, i oppose this.