Who made my 1947 utility trailer?

Old December 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Lee Ayrton

Default Who made my 1947 utility trailer?

This might be a bit far from topic but still, it has wheels, goes on the
road and is older than me.

I recently acquired a 4'x6' utility trailer. The registration paperwork
(and the original owner) says that it was made in 1947. The ID plate
riveted to the frame says that it was sold by the Sears, Roebuck Company
and gives a model and serial number to be used "when ordering parts."
The trailer itself is of welded steel construction with a single inverted
"U" channel drawbar (no "A" frame), a sprung "U" channel axle, stake
pockets and a drop tailgate. The springs are leaf-type with spring eyes
and brackets on the leading edge, the springs slide in a bracket at the
trailing edge, no pivoting shackle. There are no fixtures for shock
absorbers. The hubs are five-on-five, with left-handed lugs on both sides
and without brakes. The fenders look like miniature post-war pickup truck
fenders, not a simple stamped arch. The entire thing weighs about #600.

Any ideas on who might have manufactured this for Sears? It looks as much
like a WWII "Ben Hur Mfg." one-ton cargo trailer as any other open cargo
trailer might, but I'm looking at a reprint TM right now and it is clearly
not a civilianized copy of that, none of the details match up.

Just curious.