Can I replace an OEM starter battery with a Deep Cycle Marine battery?

Old November 29th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Can I replace an OEM starter battery with a Deep Cycle Marine battery?

I have a 2003 Merc Sable with U code Vulcan 3.0 liter.
Starter motor is 230.9 amperes in summer temperatures.

Everstart deep cycle Marine battery
deep cycle trolling
is 74 amp hours
100 minute reserve capacity
12 volt
model 24DC-6
about 40 pounds of weight
dimensions same as OEM +/- fractions of an inch.

Although this battery is designed to be RUN DOWN to about 50%
discharge before being recharged, can it be used as a replacement for
the OEM I have in their now?

OEM is a couple-few years old, and although it passes load test and
all, I would like to replace it with _something_ with terrible winter
coming. Will this Marine battery work OK without damaging the
electrical system? Thoughts?

Lg

Old November 29th 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Here is a link I found, Lawrence
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...eep%20cycle%20
battery%20as%20a%20starting%20battery

You will have to cut the entire line and paste in your browser...Basically,
it says you can
use a deep cycle battery, but you should increase the capacity rating by
about 20%.

Old November 29th 05, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> I have a 2003 Merc Sable with U code Vulcan 3.0 liter.
> Starter motor is 230.9 amperes in summer temperatures.
>
> Everstart deep cycle Marine battery
> deep cycle trolling
> is 74 amp hours
> 100 minute reserve capacity
> 12 volt
> model 24DC-6
> about 40 pounds of weight
> dimensions same as OEM +/- fractions of an inch.
>
> Although this battery is designed to be RUN DOWN to about 50%
> discharge before being recharged, can it be used as a replacement for
> the OEM I have in their now?
>
> OEM is a couple-few years old, and although it passes load test and
> all, I would like to replace it with _something_ with terrible winter
> coming. Will this Marine battery work OK without damaging the
> electrical system? Thoughts?
>
> Lg

I think you know enough about batteries to know that a deep cycle
would be a poor choice.
Old November 29th 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:40:10 GMT, aarcuda69062
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>
>> I have a 2003 Merc Sable with U code Vulcan 3.0 liter.
>> Starter motor is 230.9 amperes in summer temperatures.
>>
>> Everstart deep cycle Marine battery
>> deep cycle trolling
>> is 74 amp hours
>> 100 minute reserve capacity
>> 12 volt
>> model 24DC-6
>> about 40 pounds of weight
>> dimensions same as OEM +/- fractions of an inch.
>>
>> Although this battery is designed to be RUN DOWN to about 50%
>> discharge before being recharged, can it be used as a replacement for
>> the OEM I have in their now?
>>
>> OEM is a couple-few years old, and although it passes load test and
>> all, I would like to replace it with _something_ with terrible winter
>> coming. Will this Marine battery work OK without damaging the
>> electrical system? Thoughts?
>>
>> Lg

>I think you know enough about batteries to know that a deep cycle
>would be a poor choice.

Well in the sense that starter battery is designed for big load for
short time, and trolling motor is designed for small load for long
time....

Then again, look at this idea I have. My OEM is from used car. Did I
get a new battery when I bought it? No. It was original, just washed
down with engine cleaner like rest of engine compartment.

So how old is OEM by now? I still get good specific gravity readings.
That is OK. But by the same token, Deep Cycle Marine is BRAND NEW,
just a few weeks old. I bought it for my home-made uninterruptible
power supply for this computer which I run off a 600 watt inverter.

Now it is just sitting there, and I am saying this is Brand New, one
in car is Years Old ( maybe 3 years, maybe 4 years ). It is coming
together on the graph, the lines, as OEM degrades it comes down to
specs of New Marine deep cycle.

Since I have such a midget engine anyhow, and I do mean midget, as I
can ALMOST stick the starter motor and solenoid together into my
jacket pocket...I was thinking that RESERVE CAPACITY might give me the
edge this winter if I need it.

You know, people run down their starter batteries in a few minutes.
And then they are DEAD ( the batteries ). This has RESERVE CAPACITY,
which means it is built to be run down. Maybe after a short
resuscitation period between starts, it comes back with enough kick to
get me started, whereas a starter battery would be clean out of juice
by that point.

This way, I can do without carrying around my *jump kit* in my back
seat.

That is extra weight, and the Marine has WAY more *reserve capacity*
than that 17.5 Ah jump kit.

So you see...I am going to put it in and experiment.

I am going to put it in now, although it is 11pm at night, and cold
outside, but I have a heated garage, and will use the jump kit to keep
the PCM program alive by putting that on my battery cables before I
detach them from the OEM.

I am going to look at HLS's URL now and see what they have to say, but
as you can see, this idea is about =reserve capacity= more than
anything else.

Maybe I will still carry jump kit in backseat, but only for a while
until the weather goes below zero, and I get a feel for how this 405
CCA works then. Again, my rationale is reserve capacity. And this is
brand new...the date code says August 05, and I've had it on float
charge since I bought it.

OK, it is an experiment.

Lg

Old November 29th 05, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> I have a 2003 Merc Sable with U code Vulcan 3.0 liter.
> Starter motor is 230.9 amperes in summer temperatures.
>
> Everstart deep cycle Marine battery
> deep cycle trolling
> is 74 amp hours
> 100 minute reserve capacity
> 12 volt
> model 24DC-6
> about 40 pounds of weight
> dimensions same as OEM +/- fractions of an inch.
>
> Although this battery is designed to be RUN DOWN to about 50%
> discharge before being recharged, can it be used as a replacement for
> the OEM I have in their now?
>
> OEM is a couple-few years old, and although it passes load test and
> all, I would like to replace it with _something_ with terrible winter
> coming. Will this Marine battery work OK without damaging the
> electrical system? Thoughts?
>
> Lg

I've got a marine deep cycle in my ride because for a while, I was using
the beast as a nighttime wildlife filming platform - running all the
lights without running the engine for fairly extended periods, as I was
doing fairly regularly, would have likely roasted the "regular" battery
that was in it in short order. I've noted no problems so far, and
it's... <thinks> three? four? years later now, with the battery still
going strong.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old November 29th 05, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Don Bruder > wrote:

> I've got a marine deep cycle in my ride because for a while, I was using
> the beast as a nighttime wildlife filming platform - running all the
> lights without running the engine for fairly extended periods, as I was
> doing fairly regularly, would have likely roasted the "regular" battery
> that was in it in short order. I've noted no problems so far, and
> it's... <thinks> three? four? years later now, with the battery still
> going strong.

Where do you live Don?
Old November 29th 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> OK, it is an experiment.
>
> Lg

You measured 230 amperes starter draw in warm conditions.
Do you think the starter draw will be higher or lower when the
-10 hits?

If you want reliability, spend the extra bucks for an Optima
battery.
Old November 29th 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Lawrence Glickman" > wrote in message
> [...]

> That is extra weight, and the Marine has WAY more *reserve capacity*
> than that 17.5 Ah jump kit.
>
> So you see...I am going to put it in and experiment.
>
> I am going to put it in now, although it is 11pm at night, and cold
> outside, but I have a heated garage, and will use the jump kit to keep
> the PCM program alive by putting that on my battery cables before I
> detach them from the OEM.
>
> I am going to look at HLS's URL now and see what they have to say, but
> as you can see, this idea is about =reserve capacity= more than
> anything else.
>
> Maybe I will still carry jump kit in backseat, but only for a while
> until the weather goes below zero, and I get a feel for how this 405
> CCA works then. Again, my rationale is reserve capacity. And this is
> brand new...the date code says August 05, and I've had it on float

Why did you ask if it was a good idea if you had already decided to do it?
Will it work? Sure, is it the best battery for the job? Not even close,
reserve capacity isn't what you need when it's -30 degrees out.
Bob

Old November 29th 05, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>

>> OK, it is an experiment.
>>
>> Lg

> You measured 230 amperes starter draw in warm conditions.
> Do you think the starter draw will be higher or lower when the
> -10 hits?
>
> If you want reliability, spend the extra bucks for an Optima
> battery.

IIRC peak current when the starter is first engaged is over 500 amps even in
warm weather with the permanent magnet starters
Bob

Old November 29th 05, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:34:13 GMT, > wrote:

>Here is a link I found, Lawrence
>http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...eep%20cycle%20
>battery%20as%20a%20starting%20battery
>
>You will have to cut the entire line and paste in your browser...Basically,
>it says you can
>use a deep cycle battery, but you should increase the capacity rating by
>about 20%.

Looks *promising* HLS. Thanks Much for the link!

Lg