Miata Poll - What would you do if your Miata were gone today?

Old July 23rd 10, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Miata Poll - What would you do if your Miata were gone today?

If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
would you do:

buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
get a different vehicle altogether?
if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
do something not on my list?

I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even
on-topic! :-)

For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.

Pat
Old July 23rd 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

On 7/23/2010 3:23 PM, pws wrote:
> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
> up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
> would you do:
>
> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
> get a different vehicle altogether?
> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
> do something not on my list?
>
> I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even
> on-topic! :-)
>
> For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.
>
> Pat

It is difficult to say for certain what I will do in the next minute but,
hypothetically, under the circumstances stated I would probably buy a new
PRHT MX-5 (red...always red!). Certainly not the most practical choice
since I really could use some amount of money too but I've not been without
a Miata since 1991 and I have a general distrust of used cars except in the
most desperate circumstances.

In my situation the most realistic thing to do would be to forget the car,
use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and drive the
Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...
Old July 23rd 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
NetMax

On Jul 23, 4:12*pm, John McGaw > wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 3:23 PM, pws wrote:
>

> > If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
> > whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
> > up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
> > would you do:

> > buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
> > get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
> > get a different vehicle altogether?
> > if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
> > do something not on my list?

> > I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even
> > on-topic! :-)

> > For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.

> > Pat

> It is difficult to say for certain what I will do in the next minute but,
> hypothetically, under the circumstances stated I would probably buy a new
> PRHT MX-5 (red...always red!). Certainly not the most practical choice
> since I really could use some amount of money too but I've not been without
> a Miata since 1991 and I have a general distrust of used cars except in the
> most desperate circumstances.
>
> In my situation the most realistic thing to do would be to forget the car,
> use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and drive the
> Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...- Hide quoted text -

Currently, the best Miata (imo) is the most current '2010' so I'd go &
buy a new GT PRHT MX5, however they cost $40,000 in Canada!
Old July 23rd 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
> up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
> would you do:

Bummer. I just checked, and while that's enough to have FM convert an NB
to LS3, it's not enough to buy the target NB as well, much less to paint
it pink and cover it with Hello Kitty crap.

How much fun would that be? Trolling for mullets...

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old July 24th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/23/2010 3:12 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 7/23/2010 3:23 PM, pws wrote:
>> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
>> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
>> up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
>> would you do:
>>
>> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
>> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
>> get a different vehicle altogether?
>> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
>> do something not on my list?
>>
>> I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even
>> on-topic! :-)
>>
>> For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.
>>
>> Pat

> It is difficult to say for certain what I will do in the next minute
> but, hypothetically, under the circumstances stated I would probably buy
> a new PRHT MX-5 (red...always red!). Certainly not the most practical
> choice since I really could use some amount of money too but I've not
> been without a Miata since 1991 and I have a general distrust of used
> cars except in the most desperate circumstances.
>
> In my situation the most realistic thing to do would be to forget the
> car, use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and
> drive the Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...

In that situation, and in my current life situation, I would be tempted
to just take my $30,000.00 and see how long I could live on a beach
somewhere with no car and no need for one, spending as long as possible
perfecting my beach-bumming skills and banishing that evil creature
known as stress.

Then come back, get another job, and another Miata to drive to that
job.............The NA's are so cheap anymore that I could spend
$25,000.00 and still get a pretty nice one upon my return with the
remaining $5,000.00.

OK, let's increase that $30,000.00 to more like $3,000,000.00. No
coming back. ;-)

Pat
Old July 24th 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/23/2010 3:37 PM, NetMax wrote:
> On Jul 23, 4:12 pm, John > wrote:
>> On 7/23/2010 3:23 PM, pws wrote:
>>

>>> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
>>> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
>>> up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
>>> would you do:

>>> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
>>> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
>>> get a different vehicle altogether?
>>> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
>>> do something not on my list?

>>> I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's even
>>> on-topic! :-)

>>> For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.

>>> Pat

>> It is difficult to say for certain what I will do in the next minute but,
>> hypothetically, under the circumstances stated I would probably buy a new
>> PRHT MX-5 (red...always red!). Certainly not the most practical choice
>> since I really could use some amount of money too but I've not been without
>> a Miata since 1991 and I have a general distrust of used cars except in the
>> most desperate circumstances.
>>
>> In my situation the most realistic thing to do would be to forget the car,
>> use the money to finish up the remodeling and landscaping, and drive the
>> Subie but nobody every accused me of being a realist...- Hide quoted text -

> Currently, the best Miata (imo) is the most current '2010' so I'd go&
> buy a new GT PRHT MX5, however they cost $40,000 in Canada!

Ouch! Well, I just increased that amount to $3,000,000.00 U.S. dollars,
so you are safe now. ;-)

Take your pick!

Pat
Old July 24th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

On 7/23/2010 5:38 PM, Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
>> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the way
>> up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe), what
>> would you do:

> Bummer. I just checked, and while that's enough to have FM convert an NB
> to LS3, it's not enough to buy the target NB as well, much less to paint
> it pink and cover it with Hello Kitty crap.
>
> How much fun would that be? Trolling for mullets...

Have you seen such a thing, or is this from your own horrid imagination? ;-)

Also, aren't the mullet guys buying Camaros now that they are available
again?

Pat
Old July 24th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
>> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled,
>> stolen, whatever, and received enough money to cover a
>> replacement, all the way up to an optioned-out brand-new one,
>> (say $30,000 to be safe), what would you do:

> Bummer. I just checked, and while that's enough to have FM convert
> an NB to LS3, it's not enough to buy the target NB as well, much
> less to paint it pink and cover it with Hello Kitty crap.

and add a HUGE TAK? <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 24th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote:

> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled,
> stolen, whatever, and received enough money to cover a
> replacement, all the way up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say
> $30,000 to be safe), what would you do:
>
> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
> get a different vehicle altogether?
> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
> do something not on my list?

Do something not on your list.

I'm probably going to be selling my Miata soon as I no longer drive it
very much, the clutch is beginning to be too much for my increasingly
arthritic left knee so I'd just pocket the money.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
Old July 24th 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

pws wrote:
> If you were to lose your current Miata today, be it totaled, stolen,
> whatever, and received enough money to cover a replacement, all the
> way up to an optioned-out brand-new one, (say $30,000 to be safe),
> what would you do:
>
> buy an older miata and keep the larger money difference?
> get a brand-new new one and keep the smaller money difference?
> get a different vehicle altogether?
> if older, would it be stock or modified? What year?
> do something not on my list?
>
> I am not in this situation, no money anyway. Just curious, and it's
> even on-topic! :-)
>
> For those with multiple miatas, just pick one to be missing.
>
> Pat

Well, you know my answer, since I just went through this exact scenario. My
'96 died; I have the wherewithal to buy a new MX-5 if I wanted, but opted
for a 2004 MSM. Not sure I did the right thing, but then I never am.

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 09:29 AM
Miata F.S. Alan Mazda 15 November 1st 05 11:06 PM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 04:18 PM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM