Blinking sports light

Old May 6th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Blinking sports light

Hi all,

I was driving my 1991 Honda Accord last week when, all of a sudden,
the sports light on the dashboard started blinking, the speedometer
dropped to zero, and the check engine light came on. I pulled over and
shut down the engine. When I started driving again, everything was
fine for a few minutes, but the same problems occured again. This
pattern repeated a few times last week, but there has not been any
issues for the last few days.

From talking with the dealer, and also searching the internet, it
seems to me that the speed sensor in the transmission system might be
malfunctioning.

Can anyone tell me if this is a serious problem that needs immediate
repair? Would my car be OK if I wait a few more weeks to see how often
the problem happens? it is just that the dealer quotes $95 for the
diagnostics itself. I am on a limited budget, so I do not want to do
any repair until it is absolutely necessary.

Thank you very much,
Fijoy