alignment - pulling?

Old March 17th 15, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default alignment - pulling?

'04 Cavalier. Tracks OK with just me in the car, even on moderately
crowned roads - at least, I don't notice pulling. With a moderately
heavy person in the passenger's seat, it pulls right. Not horribly,
but more than enough to noitice. Tire wear seems even.

This car is not worth a ton of work; but, might increasing the toe-in
improve tracking?

Thanks
Old March 17th 15, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>'04 Cavalier. Tracks OK with just me in the car, even on moderately
>crowned roads - at least, I don't notice pulling. With a moderately
>heavy person in the passenger's seat, it pulls right. Not horribly,
>but more than enough to noitice. Tire wear seems even.
>
>This car is not worth a ton of work; but, might increasing the toe-in
>improve tracking?

Maybe, but I bet a nickel you have too much play in something up front
which is causing the toe to drift.
--scott
Old March 17th 15, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> '04 Cavalier. Tracks OK with just me in the car, even on moderately
>> crowned roads - at least, I don't notice pulling. With a moderately
>> heavy person in the passenger's seat, it pulls right. Not horribly,
>> but more than enough to noitice. Tire wear seems even.
>>
>> This car is not worth a ton of work; but, might increasing the toe-in
>> improve tracking?

> Maybe, but I bet a nickel you have too much play in something up front
> which is causing the toe to drift.
> --scott

Worn control arm bushing would do it.

--
Steve W.
Old March 17th 15, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

9:28 wrote:
"'04 Cavalier. Tracks OK with just me in the car, even on moderately
crowned roads - at least, I don't notice pulling. With a moderately
heavy person in the passenger's seat, it pulls right. Not horribly,
but more than enough to noitice. Tire wear seems even. "

Sounds great!!

The past 3 cars I've owned have all pulled LEFT,
passenger seat occupied or not.

Remember: Front Toe is NOT a directional
parameter. It affects tire wear and how
straight the steering wheel is when driving
straight ahead.

If you notice pull or drift to the right only
when a heavy person is in the passenger
side, I'd say you have no problem and I
envy you!

I'm worn out from always finding myself
crossing the double-yellow and yanking
the car back to the American side(!), and
also from being told by shops that all specs
are within tolerance and they can't find
anything bent underneath.
Old March 18th 15, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Bill Vaneck:

On my THREE most recent vehicles?????

I seriously cannot believe that I could have a
conicity issue with the front tires on the last two
cars I drove and on my present ride.

I did try that, by the way, and it only slightly
reduced the left pull.
Old March 18th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Bill Vaneck:

The shops I use won't go "outside the box"
for "liability reasons".

I currently drive a '08 Kia Optima. Before
that, a '05 Malibu. Before that, a 03 Impala.

The Malibu left-pull, on top of video game
feel electric steering, was the most egregious,
requring the steering wheel be held 30 degrees
over to the right to go straight.

This, after having grown up on early '80s Buicks
where I had to hold the wheel about 10 degrees
to the LEFT, a more normal circumstance.
Old March 26th 15, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 3:28:47 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> '04 Cavalier. Tracks OK with just me in the car, even on moderately
> crowned roads - at least, I don't notice pulling. With a moderately
> heavy person in the passenger's seat, it pulls right. Not horribly,
> but more than enough to noitice. Tire wear seems even.
>
> This car is not worth a ton of work; but, might increasing the toe-in
> improve tracking?
>
> Thanks

Take it to an alignment shop and tell them your problem. Then pray that they're smart and not dumb. Be aware that you might get more tire wear. I've never had this problem before. You guys must have funny roads.