Mercur question

Old February 13th 08, 12:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
S.rathbern

Default Mercur question

About 20 years ago I remember seeing a called called "Mercur" ( not sure
of spelling) I saw a numbe rof them come down from Canada. I often
wondered were they a "German Ford" ? They were a nice looking car. 4
door.I looked around the net and did not find anything.
Anyone have any info thanks..JFS
Old February 13th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
John Bradley

Merkur in the US/Cdn XR4Ti iirc with a turbo bean motor. In the US the
street cars were famously fragile. They are now just a weird orphan with a
small but cultish following.
In South Africa, the were allegedly available with a V8 and that model
became the basis for the winning Roush TransAm/GTO racers.
Again from memory, I think in Yurup they were Ford Sierra and were to be in
the old Cortina/Counsel class. Late 80s say. Another Ford could-have-been
that was abandoned instead of developed.
john

Old February 13th 08, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
ThomasS2[_3_]

Yes, an import from Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkur

Old February 14th 08, 08:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

These were German Fords imported for and sold through selected Mercury
dealers. There were two models in North America, the Merkur XR4Ti, a 2 door
sedan with a rather strange side window arrangement, and the Merkur Scorpio,
a large 4 door hatchback sedan that competed directly with the domestic
Mercury only at a much higher price. As was by then usual for the
domestics, it wasn't long before these imports were stopped and the owners
were left with another orphan car that had zero resale value. Remember the
little Mercury convertible that was imported from Australia? Or the
Cadillac Catera? Or the Pontiac GTO? Here are some Merkur pictures.

Max

"S.rathbern" > wrote in message
> About 20 years ago I remember seeing a called called "Mercur" ( not sure
> of spelling) I saw a numbe rof them come down from Canada. I often
> wondered were they a "German Ford" ? They were a nice looking car. 4
> door.I looked around the net and did not find anything.
> Anyone have any info thanks..JFS

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Mercury Merkur XR4Ti=jonno=.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	120198  Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 Merkur XR4TI-blk-sVr=mx=.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	120199  Click image for larger version

Name:	1988 Mercury Merkur Scorpio=jonno=.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	120200  Click image for larger version

Name:	1988 Merkur Scorpio (Mercury) {Germany} f3q B&W=ThomasS=.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	120201  Click image for larger version

Name:	1988 Merkur Scorpio-bw-sVl=mx=.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	120202

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 Merkur XR4Ti Turbo-white-fVl=mx=.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	120203  Click image for larger version

Name:	1989 Merkur Xr4Ti-red-fVr=mx=.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	120204
Old February 16th 08, 08:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
Dave and Trudy[_2_]

"S.rathbern" > wrote in message
> About 20 years ago I remember seeing a called called "Mercur" ( not sure
> of spelling) I saw a numbe rof them come down from Canada. I often
> wondered were they a "German Ford" ? They were a nice looking car. 4
> door.I looked around the net and did not find anything.
> Anyone have any info thanks..JFS

Google Merkur and XR4Ti and/or Scorpio. Lots of info is available.

DaveD