Canadian cars thanks Max

Old September 5th 07, 01:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
j Schneider

Default Canadian cars thanks Max

Thanks for the great Canadian car brochures.
I remember seeing many of them back in the 50' & 60'
If I remember correctly Ford & GM did similar things.
Such as the Canadian Mercury Pickup, and the Chevy Arcadian, &
Pontiac Parisianne,(spelling ?) I remember seeing a Canadian Bonneville
convertible
back around 63 that was powered by a 6 cylinder rather than the standard V8.
Thanks for the postings they are great.
JFS
Old September 5th 07, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

You're welcome, JFS. Would you like some more? I've got about 400 Meteor
and Monarch pictures and also have a number of Canadian Pontiacs if you'd
like. You wouldn't have seen a Bonneville with a 6 but you'd have seen the
Canadian Parisienne that looked like a Bonneville, was trimmed like a
Bonneville (but in vinyl instead of leather), and was built on a Chevrolet
chassis without the long Bonneville wheelbase or trunk. It would have been
difficult to tell the two models apart though unless they were side by side.

Max

Old September 6th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
J.F. Schneider

Max:
I would be interested in seeing the Canadian Parisienne pix.
I remember the first time I saw one, I always associated the Pontiac
with V8's
A lot of Canadians travel to upstate New York and Vermont, so we would
often see the Canadian versions.
I came up here in the early 60's which should give you an idea of what
cars were new to me.
One other that comes to mind was the 1956 Dodge "La Femme", (spelling ?)
It was a very fancy 2 door hard top which was painted in rather bold colors.
I also seem to remember .... was there a Canadian version of the DeSoto?
Dodge body.... De Soto front end... ?
Thanks for the great posting
They are one of my daily stops on the net.
JFS

Old September 6th 07, 05:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.oldtimers
MagisterMax

I'm just posting some Pontiacs for you, stopping with the 1959 models but I
do have more for the subsequent years. You'll see that after 1954 they're
visually indistinguishable from their American cousins unless you put the
two side by side when you'll see the differences in length and width, to say
nothing of the track from 1959 on. Canadian Pontiacs didn't have the wide
track feature; they used a Chevrolet chassis.

The Dodge La Femme was a Custom Royal Lancer hardtop in pink and white with
a special interior and various little additions like a pink umbrella, a
make-up kit, and so on. Very few were made because very few were sold.

DeSoto was well represented in Canada but we never saw the Firesweep series,
the low-priced one, because it would have competed directly against the
senior Dodges that were imported from the US.

But the Commonwealth countries such as Australia and New Zealand and also
South Africa also received Canadian versions of Fords, Dodges, Pontiacs and
so on. This is a whole other story because you could then see a DeSoto
grille on a Plymouth body, sold as a DeSoto or a Dodge grille on a Plymouth
body sold as a Dodge, depending on the market. I don't have a lot of
pictures of those vehicles but will post some for you. The Australian
market took the 1953 Plymouth body dies and kept them in production through
the middle 1960s, adding fins and chrome and new front ends from year to
year until it was almost impossible to tell that these cars had started out
as simple Plymouths in the US.

Max