alternator current draw

Old March 27th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default alternator current draw

I've been having this problem of my battery being killed and I figured out
that my alternator is drawing current when the car is off. It'll basicallly
completely kill the battery overnight.
I figured it out by pulling fuses and checking voltage at the battery. I
finally got to the alternator and when I disconnected the two red wires
bolted too it the voltage at the battery jumped back up to 12.40 from 12.19.
I checked my other car and disconnecting the same wires didn't produce any
change in the voltage. \
The alternator's fairly new. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
-Andrew

Old March 27th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

DruG wrote:
> I've been having this problem of my battery being killed and I figured out
> that my alternator is drawing current when the car is off. It'll basicallly
> completely kill the battery overnight.
> I figured it out by pulling fuses and checking voltage at the battery. I
> finally got to the alternator and when I disconnected the two red wires
> bolted too it the voltage at the battery jumped back up to 12.40 from 12.19.
> I checked my other car and disconnecting the same wires didn't produce any
> change in the voltage. \
> The alternator's fairly new. Does anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks,
> -Andrew

You got a bad alternator. Specifically, the alternator that you got has
a bad diode or two.

If you replaced the alternator and then jump started the car with a dead
battery, that might have killed it. Of course don't mention this when
you take it back for a replacement. IMHO an alternator should be
designed to charge a dead battery without going Tango Uniform, but
obviously the manufacturers could care less what I think.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 29th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Shorted diode. Could be that it still produces a voltage of about 12V (14 is
normal).

SFC

"DruG" > schreef in bericht
> I've been having this problem of my battery being killed and I figured out
> that my alternator is drawing current when the car is off. It'll
> basicallly completely kill the battery overnight.
> I figured it out by pulling fuses and checking voltage at the battery. I
> finally got to the alternator and when I disconnected the two red wires
> bolted too it the voltage at the battery jumped back up to 12.40 from
> 12.19. I checked my other car and disconnecting the same wires didn't
> produce any change in the voltage. \
> The alternator's fairly new. Does anyone have any ideas?
> Thanks,
> -Andrew

92 SL1 Battery draw in cold weather Erik Saturn 2 February 27th 06 01:52 PM
2000 Honda Accord EX - Cold start problems (parasitic battery draw) [email protected] Honda 3 December 11th 05 02:33 AM
starter current draw? N8N Technology 13 September 27th 05 02:34 PM
DUI watch - State troopers now trained to draw blood Garth Almgren Driving 3 February 3rd 05 05:57 AM
92 SL2 - Static Battery Draw Scott Saturn 5 December 9th 04 06:15 PM