S4 Owners Reply Please

Old June 13th 04, 12:01 PM
James Enman

Default S4 Owners Reply Please

I am considering the S4 or the S4 Avant. What's the general long-term
opinion of the car? Reliability? Pet peeves? Disappointments? Thanks for
your help.

I travel quite a bit and wanted to mix buisness and pleasure. Currently in
an 04' TL. Nice but needs more ooomph.

James Enman

Old June 14th 04, 04:40 AM
Adam Schwartz

In article >,
"James Enman" > wrote:

> I am considering the S4 or the S4 Avant. What's the general long-term
> opinion of the car? Reliability? Pet peeves? Disappointments? Thanks for
> your help.
>
> I travel quite a bit and wanted to mix buisness and pleasure. Currently in
> an 04' TL. Nice but needs more ooomph.
>
> James Enman

The S4 ROCKS. And stock it will blow the doors off an Acura... But add
an after market chip - and DAMN. That is one amazing car.

I have had mine for 3 years. I am at 70K miles. I drive it hard.

It has been very reliable. So far all I have done was a MAF sensor -
under factory warranty and a power steering compressor, not under
factory warranty - but under my aftermarket warranty. I have also had to
replace my divertor valves and TBB - but those are weak and often break
when you chip the car - and my car is chipped, so I cant blame Audi.
Those parts were under $200. Oh yea - and I just did the brake pads on
the front. Did it myself - easiest brake job I have ever done!!!

Pet peeves... I wish it got 40Mpg like my old honda civic did...

Cheers,

Adam
Old June 14th 04, 05:19 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
Adam Schwartz > wrote:

> In article >,
> "James Enman" > wrote:
>
> > I am considering the S4 or the S4 Avant. What's the general long-term
> > opinion of the car? Reliability? Pet peeves? Disappointments? Thanks for
> > your help.
> >
> > I travel quite a bit and wanted to mix buisness and pleasure. Currently in
> > an 04' TL. Nice but needs more ooomph.
> >
> > James Enman
> >

> The S4 ROCKS. And stock it will blow the doors off an Acura... But add
> an after market chip - and DAMN. That is one amazing car.

The current S4 (which uses a N/A V8) won't benefit as much from a simple
chip upgrade as the old Turbo car did.

> I have had mine for 3 years. I am at 70K miles. I drive it hard.

Sounds like you have the old model (2.7T V6).

> It has been very reliable. So far all I have done was a MAF sensor -
> under factory warranty and a power steering compressor, not under
> factory warranty - but under my aftermarket warranty. I have also had to
> replace my divertor valves and TBB - but those are weak and often break
> when you chip the car - and my car is chipped, so I cant blame Audi.

DV and TBB won't apply to the current S4.

Old June 14th 04, 05:31 PM

I have a 2001 S4 Avant and love it. Driving the car, is like driving on a
different plane of performance. You just wish the other cars would move out
of the way or something like that. The extremely tight suspension, the
power and the Quattro, give you much superior driving performance, to most
other cars you will consider. I sort of think of this car like a rocket
ship on a rail. You can compare the numbers on paper with a lot of other
cars, but in reality, this car has more.

But you do go through tires, and they are expensive. Visibility is a little
lacking - be careful when backing, etc. I have the standard leather seats,
instead of the ones with the suede centers. I wish I had the suede centers,
so as not to slide as much when taking hard turns.

It's a German car so there are things to go wrong. Just think about things,
like letting your car warm up properly before going into high performance
driving. Or let it cool down before before turning off.

I suggest that you keep on top of noises. I have had some things replaced
under warranty from hearing noises which I didn't like. That is true with
any car. I don't thik the current car has a Turbo, but instead, that larger
sized V8. Since mine has the Twin Turbos, I am extra careful about taking
good care of them. I don't want to replace them.

I have gone through brakes, but I am in the mountains. By the way, the
brakes are phenominal.

My one complaint about the car is that if I open the sunroof, then there is
a annoying noise created until I also open a window. I hope they have
corrected that little flaw. It is something which has been bothering me. A
nice thing in my opinion, is that you will feel better about parking the car
somewhere that you may have second thoughts about parking a Porsche. Most
people don't realize what the car actually is.

Best of luck with your S4.

Old June 15th 04, 05:00 AM
Michael Burman

Adam Schwartz wrote:
> There is a special sweet spot that you are supposed to open the sunroof
> to so that this weird sound doesnt happen. If you look at the switch you
> will see that there is a white line that goes around it, with a break in

Sounds a like BMW-feature, our 3-series does the same. Apparently they
have same designer )

- Yak
Old June 18th 04, 03:45 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:01:54 GMT, "James Enman" >
wrote:

>I am considering the S4 or the S4 Avant. What's the general long-term
>opinion of the car? Reliability? Pet peeves? Disappointments? Thanks for
>your help.
>
>I travel quite a bit and wanted to mix buisness and pleasure. Currently in
>an 04' TL. Nice but needs more ooomph.
>
>James Enman

Well, the new S4 will definitely get you more ooomph. I think that
the new naturally aspirated V8 will be more reliable in the long run
than the bi-turboed V6 like I've got. The DVs, MAF and the TBB have
been mentioned, but they go away in the new model. Of course, there's
nothing to say that the 2004 S4 won't have it's own plumbing problems.
It is doubtful though.

Go drive one...betcha you'll buy it... =)

Elroy
2000 S4

Attention All GT Owners Pinot Grigio Alfa Romeo 6 November 30th 04 10:59 AM
147 2.0 TS Lusso any owners review eeyore7 Alfa Romeo 1 October 15th 04 05:42 PM
156 owners manual fmt Alfa Romeo 0 June 16th 04 09:56 PM
Poor AM Radio reception in A4 Cam Newton Audi 18 May 31st 04 11:45 PM