Clutch not returning

Old September 6th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Count Floyd

Default Clutch not returning

I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Count Floyd wrote:
> I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

Hydraulic or cable actuated?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 7th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ace

Count Floyd wrote:
> In
> the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back.

Been a while since I have worked on a 40s Chrysler clutch but if my
memory serves me correctly there is an adjustment of the pedal linkage
that needs to be correct.

Does the pedal not return at all or does it simply come up some, the
clutch operation is correct but the pedal does not return to the top?
I vaguely remember the clutch return spring keeps the pedal returned so
the clutch is not being "ridden".

Bob AZ

Old September 7th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Count Floyd wrote:
> I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
> --
> "What do you mean there's no movie?"

There is a pedal/linkage return spring outside of the transmission on
most old cars, but also the pressure plate itself returns the pedal as
well- you may have a worn out pressure plate- or the clutch has
excessive freeplay in the linkage.

Old September 7th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Count Floyd

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:45:14 UTC, Bill Putney > wrote:

> Count Floyd wrote:
> > I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> > the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> > when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> > is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> > friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.

> Hydraulic or cable actuated?
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

It is a mechanical clutch, cable actuated.
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 7th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Count Floyd

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 05:34:18 UTC, "Ace" > wrote:

> Count Floyd wrote:
> > In
> > the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> > when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back.

> Been a while since I have worked on a 40s Chrysler clutch but if my
> memory serves me correctly there is an adjustment of the pedal linkage
> that needs to be correct.
>
> Does the pedal not return at all or does it simply come up some, the
> clutch operation is correct but the pedal does not return to the top?
> I vaguely remember the clutch return spring keeps the pedal returned so
> the clutch is not being "ridden".
>
> Bob AZ

Bob,
The pedal comes up some, but does not return fully to the complete
position. It is floor mounted, pushing straight down flush with the
rubber mat when activated, and it comes up just a hair, then I have to
pull it up the rest of the way with my toe.

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 7th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Count Floyd

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:03:16 UTC, "duty-honor-country"
> wrote:

> Count Floyd wrote:
> > I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> > the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> > when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> > is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> > friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> > suggestions would be appreciated.
> > --
> > "What do you mean there's no movie?"

> There is a pedal/linkage return spring outside of the transmission on
> most old cars, but also the pressure plate itself returns the pedal as
> well- you may have a worn out pressure plate- or the clutch has
> excessive freeplay in the linkage.

I was hoping it was merely an adjustment, which it might well be, but
if it is the pressure plate, I guess it is time for a new clutch kit!

--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old September 9th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ace

Old September 9th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ace

> Bob AZ

Count

The clutch should start to disengage near the top of the pedal travel.
Between the top and the disengagement point is the freeplay. Perhaps an
inch or so.

So the linkage should be checked to adjust this. If it is beyond
adjustment then out with the transmission etc and replace the clutch
disc/plate. Have the mechanism and the throwout bearing checked at ths
time. It might take some shoping to find a shop that knows anything
about the clutch. Google for help.

Before doing anything be sure to check the action of the pedal and
linkage. Something could be broke or bent.

Bob AZ

Old September 9th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

Count Floyd wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:03:16 UTC, "duty-honor-country"
> > wrote:
>

> > Count Floyd wrote:
> > > I have a restored 1940 Chrysler Royal, all restored to original. In
> > > the last couple of months, my clutch has started to not "pop" back
> > > when released and I have been using my toe to pull it back. Shifting
> > > is still good, no clashing, but could this be the spring? I had a
> > > friend who knows old cars, and he says the spring looks good. Any
> > > suggestions would be appreciated.
> > > --
> > > "What do you mean there's no movie?"

> > There is a pedal/linkage return spring outside of the transmission on
> > most old cars, but also the pressure plate itself returns the pedal as
> > well- you may have a worn out pressure plate- or the clutch has
> > excessive freeplay in the linkage.

> I was hoping it was merely an adjustment, which it might well be, but
> if it is the pressure plate, I guess it is time for a new clutch kit!
>

> --
> "What do you mean there's no movie?"

you have to get under the vehicle and have someone else work the clutch
pedal, and see what's happening under there- if there's play in the
linkage, it's easy to adjust out with the pedal free play adjustment
under the car. If that is ok already, then your pressure plate is shot.