06/07 Supercharger Options???

Old February 22nd 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 06/07 Supercharger Options???

Hi, I wanted to see what everyone's recommendation was for the best
supercharger for an 06 or 07 Mustang. Originally I got on the list for a 07
Shelby GT500 (number 19) but just recently learned from my dealer and
several other local dealers that Ford has decided to limit production and
they will only be receiving between 2 to 4 for 2007. Because of this I have
decided to explore the option of getting a 06 or possibly 07 GT/CS
convertible and having the dealer install a supercharger.

One dealer I spoke to said they mostly install Saleen superchargers (which
does have a nice clean design) and are good for 400 - 435HP depending on
other modifications. Another dealer I spoke to said they recommend Kenne
Bell superchargers and they are far superior to the Saleens and provide more
power for the dollar (over 400 rwhp as opposed to Saleens 400 hp at the
crank). I am always looking to get the best bang for my buck but I also
want a supercharger that is the most reliable and would work fine for daily
driving. Does anyone know of any issues with either of these superchargers
or have any better recommendations? I did briefly look at the Vortechs and
Paxtons but from what I have read regarding Superchargers and Turbos I think
I would prefer the feel of a Roots style to that of a centrifuge (More of
the feel of a big block motor and no RPM dependant lag).

Thanks,

-DCH

Old February 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> Hi, I wanted to see what everyone's recommendation was for the best
> supercharger for an 06 or 07 Mustang. Originally I got on the list for a

07
> Shelby GT500 (number 19) but just recently learned from my dealer and
> several other local dealers that Ford has decided to limit production and
> they will only be receiving between 2 to 4 for 2007. Because of this I

have
> decided to explore the option of getting a 06 or possibly 07 GT/CS
> convertible and having the dealer install a supercharger.
>
> One dealer I spoke to said they mostly install Saleen superchargers (which
> does have a nice clean design) and are good for 400 - 435HP depending on
> other modifications. Another dealer I spoke to said they recommend Kenne
> Bell superchargers and they are far superior to the Saleens and provide

more
> power for the dollar (over 400 rwhp as opposed to Saleens 400 hp at the
> crank). I am always looking to get the best bang for my buck but I also
> want a supercharger that is the most reliable and would work fine for

daily
> driving. Does anyone know of any issues with either of these

superchargers
> or have any better recommendations? I did briefly look at the Vortechs

and
> Paxtons but from what I have read regarding Superchargers and Turbos I

think
> I would prefer the feel of a Roots style to that of a centrifuge (More of
> the feel of a big block motor and no RPM dependant lag).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -DCH

A friend of mine put twin turbos on his 05 saleen it is 500rwhp and one
nasty street car!

Old February 22nd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Get a Kenne Bell kit. They put allot of effort and thought into their
designs and supply everything that is needed. They also provide
excellent support. I would also recommend them over Saleen. As for
centrifugals, they make good power but it is in a narrow rpm range of
around 5k-6k rpm. Kenne Bell uses a twin screw that will let you know
it is there all the way from just off idle to the red line. It will
turn your 4.6L into more of a torque monster than a strong running N/A
460 c.i. engine. My 5.0L with a Kenne Bell makes 460 ft-lbs of torque
at the rear wheels at 2,500 rpm. The KB kits for the newer GT's should
be awesome when combined with the variable valve timing on the new
motors. My guess is you will make the same horsepower and torque that
an 03/04 Cobra makes after a few cheap mods. The one weakness with the
GT's V-8 is the powder formed rods. They do fine up to around 425-450
rwhp but after that they can bend.

Old February 22nd 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks for the info! It does sound like the Kenne Bell would be the way to
go. Are there any other mods you might reccomend for duribility (I do tend
to put my foot into it a lot)? Also is it worth it to install headers? I
read that an 8psi Kenne Bell kit made 500HP on a stock mustang with stock
exhaust and mainifolds.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

DC Hunt wrote:
> Hi, I wanted to see what everyone's recommendation was for the best
> supercharger for an 06 or 07 Mustang.

Whipple is probably the best around. It's very efficient, and so generally makes a
bit more power than others. They can be tough to get, though. Ford is buying most
of the production for their vehicles - pick ups, GT's, and now the Cobra.

Check out www.coloradocobras.com and www.whipplesuperchargers.com

--
..boB
On Order: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

DC Hunt wrote:

> Thanks for the info! It does sound like the Kenne Bell would be the way to
> go. Are there any other mods you might reccomend for duribility (I do tend
> to put my foot into it a lot)? Also is it worth it to install headers? I
> read that an 8psi Kenne Bell kit made 500HP on a stock mustang with stock
> exhaust and mainifolds.

You don't NEED headers, but they do help. If you're going to force almost twice
as much air in there, you need a way to get it all out.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

You might wanna check out Whipple industries.. they make a helluva product.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208
--
Jafo
'02 GT Black

rvers.com...

Old February 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

The KB kits are pretty good so I would recommend getting one, installing
it before adding too much more. IMO, you don't want to go too far with
the stock rods. My guess is it will make more than enough power on its
own. I haven't seen where headers on the 4.6L engines return the same
improvements that they do on pushrod engines. I don't think there is
enough room in the engine bay to design them to be as efficient. Plus
the stock manifolds aren't too shabby.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> The KB kits are pretty good so I would recommend getting one, installing
> it before adding too much more. IMO, you don't want to go too far with
> the stock rods. My guess is it will make more than enough power on its
> own. I haven't seen where headers on the 4.6L engines return the same
> improvements that they do on pushrod engines. I don't think there is
> enough room in the engine bay to design them to be as efficient. Plus
> the stock manifolds aren't too shabby.

For a N/A 4.6 yeah, I think my P1-SC two valve car gained 25rwhp with
headers/back system.
Old February 24th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I am going to disagree with everybody recommending the K.B. Yes the Saleen
only makes about 425 h.p. but its only running 4.5 psi of boost. The exact
same blower is running more boost on the Saleen Extreme Mustang at 550 h.p.
At the stock level Saleen warranties it for 3 years and 36000 miles to match
fords warranty. They also claim that if a Ford dealer kicks a warranty
claim for related damage from the supercharger they will pick up the tab.
Saleen made this kit to be reliable, they don't want to be fixing thousands
of there cars under warranty. It is a twin srew design at 2.3L. Compare
the long well designed smooth intake runners to the K.B. flat intake with
sharp bends with the blower unit plopped on top. You can tell who just made
something fit and who enginneered something that belongs under the hood.
The 4.6 can handle about 450 h.p. RELIABLY with stock internals. Anything
above that will last for awhile but will eventually cause engine failure.
This is why Saleen installs forged engine components in its Extreme Mustang.
Kenne Bell does have the kit to upgrade the 2003/04 Cobra but I think they
came up short for the 2005 up Mustang kit. The Whipple and Kenne Bell use
the same manufacture for the head units. Whipple actually made the kits for
Saleen until the 2005 redesign. The Vortech is pure junk. I would not
trust driving a car with a Vortech because of all the cutting, relocation
and rigging required to install it. I have not seen any Turbo kits in
person yet to form a opinion on them.
rvers.com...