mpg alfa romeo 146

Old March 21st 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default mpg alfa romeo 146

just thinking of buying a 146 but would like to know a few things .What is
the mpg on mways and what sort of running costs are involved any help be
appreciated
Old March 21st 06, 10:26 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:14:59 GMT, "coventry" <u19936@uwe>, wrote:

>just thinking of buying a 146 but would like to know a few things .What is
>the mpg on mways and what sort of running costs are involved any help be
>appreciated

As with any old car of such an age it is impossible to say.
It will depend greatly on the way it has been driven and serviced.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V668125DC
this may help with your hunt on info for AR 146. HTH.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old March 21st 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"coventry" <u19936@uwe> wrote:

> just thinking of buying a 146 but would like to know a few things .What is
> the mpg on mways and what sort of running costs are involved any help be
> appreciated

MPG depends on which engine you have - if it's a 2lt TSpark and you
drive it fairly enthusiastically, then think mid 20s mpg. I get around
28mpg in everyday use, dropping to under 20mpg if I have my 'fast' head
on.

As Pete said, running costs depend on what work has been done and the
kind of servicing it's had, however, you can figure on these figures
being in the right ball park.....

Cambelt, every 40k miles - £300-ish from an independent garage.
Front suspension drop links - £100-ish at about the same mileage.
Front tyres - every 10k miles - £120 a pair.
Front brake pads - £50-£100 fitted, every 10k miles.
Rear tyres - dunno, can't remember the last time I went through a set on
a RWD car.
Rear pads - as for front pads, but every 20k miles.
Front discs - depends on use, but reckon on £100-£150 / pair, fitted.
Same for rears.
Regular servicing - under £100 every 10k miles.

That any good to you?
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old March 21st 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

SteveH wrote:

> MPG depends on which engine you have - if it's a 2lt TSpark and you
> drive it fairly enthusiastically, then think mid 20s mpg. I get around
> 28mpg in everyday use, dropping to under 20mpg if I have my 'fast' head
> on.

Agree the 2lt TSparks can vary dramatically by driving style - under 20
is going some though!

> Rear tyres - dunno, can't remember the last time I went through a set on
> a RWD car.

FWD?

> Rear pads - as for front pads, but every 20k miles.

Curiously I got through rear pads at 24k and fronts at 36k on my 156 V6.
Never had pads last so long although I did a lot more motorway miles
than previously - still surprised at getting through the rears first - I
guess they are softer compounds.

Cheers
Tony
Old March 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Tony Rickard > wrote:

> SteveH wrote:
>
> > MPG depends on which engine you have - if it's a 2lt TSpark and you
> > drive it fairly enthusiastically, then think mid 20s mpg. I get around
> > 28mpg in everyday use, dropping to under 20mpg if I have my 'fast' head
> > on.

> Agree the 2lt TSparks can vary dramatically by driving style - under 20
> is going some though!

Pah, that's nothing. I got a Cinquecento Sporting down to 18mpg......

> > Rear tyres - dunno, can't remember the last time I went through a set on
> > a RWD car.

> FWD?

Aye, FWD. I've been driving the 75 the last few days, due to a major
****-up on the part of both of us..... discovered Katie had been driving
the 156 with an MOT that expired 3 weeks ago on Sunday night. Ooops.

> > Rear pads - as for front pads, but every 20k miles.

> Curiously I got through rear pads at 24k and fronts at 36k on my 156 V6.
> Never had pads last so long although I did a lot more motorway miles
> than previously - still surprised at getting through the rears first - I
> guess they are softer compounds.

Aye, again, it all depends on what's been fitted in the past. My Marea
has been fitted with drilled discs and 'Greenstuff' pads on the front.
It wouldn't surprise me if those need replacing very soon as they appear
to be very 'soft' once they've warmed up.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old March 22nd 06, 07:35 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

SteveH wrote:

<snip>
> Front brake pads - £50-£100 fitted, every 10k miles.

You really get through them that fast?

--
Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3 OMF#22
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
Old March 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Catman > wrote:

> SteveH wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Front brake pads - £50-£100 fitted, every 10k miles.

> You really get through them that fast?

I have been know to demolish them as quickly as front tyres.... even
when using sticker rubber than P6000s.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL
Old March 22nd 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

SteveH wrote:

> Catman > wrote:
>
>> SteveH wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> > Front brake pads - £50-£100 fitted, every 10k miles.

>> You really get through them that fast?

> I have been know to demolish them as quickly as front tyres.... even
> when using sticker rubber than P6000s.

BLimey
Old March 22nd 06, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Hi,
I have got a 1999 Alfa romeo 146, I have owned the car for 4 years. The
car is now on 96,000 miles> i have owned the car since 47,000.
I go through a set off front tyres every 14,000 miles,
Back brakes for some reason wear quicker then the front, get about
26,000 to the back and 33,000 to the front. Other then a cambelt change
at 57,000 miles and spark plug's, dont forget there are eight of them.
The car has got through its annual service at a price of £120 which
is not bad. Last year i had to change the exhaust, radiator and mass
airflow meter.
Fuel, if you thrash the car about 20-25 mpg. Motorways mine will do
between 32-35mpg. Overall good car, all i will say is mine has been
well serviced, every year. I do think if this car has been neglected it
will cost you to get it to what it should be.

Old March 23rd 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

coventry wrote:
> just thinking of buying a 146 but would like to know a few things
> .What is the mpg on mways

Take a look at:
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebers...e_Modelle.html
and