Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery?

Old January 14th 04, 12:29 PM
Exit

Default Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery?

R. David Steele wrote:
> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>
> any word on this?

I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but you
won't see the Discovery diesel for a while. There are no plans to export the
current Disco with the TD5 unit to North America but they may send over the
all-new Discovery when it comes out later this year. It uses a jointly
developed Ford/Peugeot 2.7l V6 turbo diesel with the latest common rail
technology and puts out 200hp and over 300lbs-ft of torque but should still
return 30mpg. The petrol engine will be a Jaguar 4.2 V8 with 300hp.

--
Julian
---------

Old January 14th 04, 04:33 PM
ColonelTupperware

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>R. David Steele wrote:
>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>>
>> any word on this?

>I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but you
>won't see the Discovery diesel for a while.

The European Jeep Cherokee Diesels (Liberty for US) KJ models are
powered by VM Diesels (2.5 for the manual and 2.8 for the Auto, both
Common Rail types) not a Mercedes Diesel. The only Mercedes engine
being used so far is in the WG Grand Cherokee which has a 2.7 Litre 5
cyl variable vane turbo with electronic injection on a Common Rail
system.
Awesome engine, pity about the rest of the car.

No idea of the introduction to the US though.
Why would you want a diesel in the US?
Doesn't gasoline cost less than the stuff you call beer? ;-)

--
Russ
Jeep Technician and Big Hairy Biker
Old January 14th 04, 04:33 PM
ColonelTupperware

Old January 14th 04, 05:25 PM
Exit

ColonelTupperware wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
> troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:
>
>> R. David Steele wrote:
>>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>>>
>>> any word on this?

>> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but
>> you won't see the Discovery diesel for a while.

> The European Jeep Cherokee Diesels (Liberty for US) KJ models are
> powered by VM Diesels (2.5 for the manual and 2.8 for the Auto, both
> Common Rail types) not a Mercedes Diesel. The only Mercedes engine
> being used so far is in the WG Grand Cherokee which has a 2.7 Litre 5
> cyl variable vane turbo with electronic injection on a Common Rail
> system.
> Awesome engine, pity about the rest of the car.

My mistake, I didn't realise anyone was daft enough to still use VM diesels!

--
Julian
---------

Old January 14th 04, 05:25 PM
Exit

Old January 14th 04, 07:50 PM
ColonelTupperware

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:25:34 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>ColonelTupperware wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
>> troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>>> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but
>>> you won't see the Discovery diesel for a while.

>> The European Jeep Cherokee Diesels (Liberty for US) KJ models are
>> powered by VM Diesels (2.5 for the manual and 2.8 for the Auto, both
>> Common Rail types) not a Mercedes Diesel. The only Mercedes engine
>> being used so far is in the WG Grand Cherokee which has a 2.7 Litre 5
>> cyl variable vane turbo with electronic injection on a Common Rail
>> system.
>> Awesome engine, pity about the rest of the car.
>>

>My mistake, I didn't realise anyone was daft enough to still use VM diesels!

I think that Jeep are going to integrate the Merc engines when they
can, but Merc wont let them have any other engines.
Mind ewe the VM engines aren't that bad now.

Daimler Chrysler give Merc's cast offs to Chrysler Jeep, witness the
Crossfire, an old C type in disguise.

Old January 14th 04, 07:50 PM
ColonelTupperware

Old January 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Exit

ColonelTupperware wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:25:34 GMT, "Exit" > employed a
> troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:
>
>> ColonelTupperware wrote:
>>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:29:52 GMT, "Exit" > employed
>>> a troop of monkeys to hit keyboards to produce:

>>> The European Jeep Cherokee Diesels (Liberty for US) KJ models are
>>> powered by VM Diesels (2.5 for the manual and 2.8 for the Auto, both
>>> Common Rail types) not a Mercedes Diesel. The only Mercedes engine
>>> being used so far is in the WG Grand Cherokee which has a 2.7 Litre
>>> 5 cyl variable vane turbo with electronic injection on a Common Rail
>>> system.
>>> Awesome engine, pity about the rest of the car.
>>>

>> My mistake, I didn't realise anyone was daft enough to still use VM
>> diesels!

> I think that Jeep are going to integrate the Merc engines when they
> can, but Merc wont let them have any other engines.
> Mind ewe the VM engines aren't that bad now.

The only ones I've got any experience of are the 2.4 and 2.5 used in Range
Rovers for a while - shudder!

> Daimler Chrysler give Merc's cast offs to Chrysler Jeep, witness the
> Crossfire, an old C type in disguise.

Seems to be a fashion for fancy bodies on low-rent chassis a la Audi TT
these days.

--
Julian
---------

Old January 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Exit

Old January 15th 04, 12:21 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 03:29, Exit's monkeys randomly typed:

> R. David Steele wrote:
>> I thought that these two were to be coming out this month?
>>
>> any word on this?

> I'm not sure about the Jeep which uses the Mercedes turbo-diesel but you
> won't see the Discovery diesel for a while. There are no plans to export the
> current Disco with the TD5 unit to North America but they may send over the
> all-new Discovery when it comes out later this year. It uses a jointly
> developed Ford/Peugeot 2.7l V6 turbo diesel with the latest common rail
> technology and puts out 200hp and over 300lbs-ft of torque but should still
> return 30mpg. The petrol engine will be a Jaguar 4.2 V8 with 300hp.

Hmmm, once the mounts and such for the Jag 4.2 are in there, isn't
much more effort to stuff in the good Jaguar bits and make that a
470 hp turbo, aka Discovery S.