Anyone know how to get a Steam refund before F1 2010 goes live in the UK? :-)

Old September 23rd 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default Anyone know how to get a Steam refund before F1 2010 goes live in the UK? :-)

The trouble with this split release rubbish is that I get to sit and stew for
several days reading poor reviews and disappointed comments.

In truth this is exactly what I was expecting. It's Codemasters FFS! And anyone
with half a clue could easily read between the lines on those interviews where they
were all spinning their code very cleverly to try and appeal to everyone.

But I don't object to that. We're all grown-ups and we know how the marketing world
works. And besides, I enjoyed NFS:Shift quite a lot, and still think it's the best
'Ring experience I've ever had in any sim. So I'll probably get *some* pleasure out
of F1 2010, even if it's only having a rainy race running in the background as a
calming screensaver.

However as I sit reading the comments I do feel buyer's remorse weighing down
what's left of my eagerness like a set of tungsten tyres on a track made of
marzipan. If I could have my £27 back now, I would do. That's almost enough to buy
half an iRacing track or 3/4 of a car!

Ok, I exaggerate *slightly*. Who am I to talk about wasting money when I've ****ed
so much down the iDrain on content I never use? F1 2010 is a drop in the ocean by
comparison!

Mmmm... I'm starting to feel a little better now. :-)

Only a little, mind.

Andrew McP
Old September 28th 10, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

Default Anyone know how to get a Steam refund before F1 2010 goes live in

On Sep 23, 9:27*pm, (Andrew MacPherson)
wrote:
> In truth this is exactly what I was expecting. It's Codemasters FFS! And anyone
> with half a clue could easily read between the lines on those interviews where they
> were all spinning their code very cleverly to try and appeal to everyone.

Andrew,

What's FFS? Also, can you explain what the point you're making is? Are
you saying the game isn't realistic? I haven't seen the game (apart
from some prerelease youtube videos) or read any reviews yet so I'm
curious.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old September 28th 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

> What's FFS?

For F*ck's Sake! ;-) Maybe it's a Brit thing?

> Also, can you explain what the point you're making is?

I was frustrated by the fact that the early release in the USA made me feel like
I'd wasted my money, and I couldn't back out of the purchase. Many early reports
showed it to be 80% game, 20% sim, 100% marketing,m and 42.7% made up stats.

However the actual release *proved* I'd wasted my money! :-)

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd put the "car on track feel" of this game at about 3, where
GTR Evo scores about 5, and iRacing -- hideous warts and all -- rates a 10 (as the
best to date).

Obviously as a simulator of the F1 driver experience F1 2010 scores much, much
higher. But without that elusive "feel" all that doesn't really interest me. I did,
however, enjoy a few laps at Singapore on Sunday to familiarise myself with that
useless track. Gawd knows how the real drivers cope with that totally unsatisfying
drive.

I am hoping that modders will find a way of doing to F1 what they did to
NFS:Shift... though in Shift I at least had some immediate gratification from the
driving model. It was a "cartoony" driving model, but it was fun in the right car &
setup. I have yet to find anything like that in F1 2010, but it does seem that a
lot of people are having fun with it, so I may just be being a bit too anally
hardcore on a softcore product.

But then the various promo vids did try hard to make it sound like there was a
decent sim under the F1 gaming surface. So I think I have some right to feel
aggrieved.

Bottom line? Save your money at this stage unless you just want a kind of animated
guide to this season's F1 tracks... what's left of them.

Andrew McP

PS I love the pits part of this. However the fact that you have zero control off
the main track leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. They Might as well have given us
a link to view pitting YouTube.
Old September 28th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:27 +0100 (BST), Andrew MacPherson wrote:

> In truth this is exactly what I was expecting. It's Codemasters FFS! And anyone
> with half a clue could easily read between the lines on those interviews where they
> were all spinning their code very cleverly to try and appeal to everyone.

That about sums up my expectations, too. CMR was a bit of fun, but
codies have yet to release anything remotely sim-like.

I might pick up 2010 once it hits the bargain bin, but only if I'm fishing
for "bottom of the barrel" ;-)

cheers Uwe