Speedo gear problem

Old December 18th 04, 01:01 PM
Jeff Scherb

Default Speedo gear problem

The prior owner put 31 x 10.50 tires on my Scrambler, but it's got the
orginal speedo gear in the transfer case, so the speedo is way off.

I ordered a speedo gear at the dealer but it didn't work. The shaft on the
new gear is identical, but the gear itself is much smaller. I tried clocking
the gear in all 4 positions but it didn't seem to engage inside the transfer
case in any position, presumably because the gear is much smaller (too small
for the offset provided by clocking to matter).

The dealer and I have checked the parts books and the books claim we ordered
the right gear.

It's an '83, Dana 300 transfer case.

Has anyone had this problem before or know anything about different size
gears in Dana 300's?

Old December 18th 04, 03:42 PM
Greg

When ordered the new one for my 81 CJ, D 300, it took me about 20 minutes
of going around to finaly get it in, and the 3 or 4 marking points didn't
seem to mean anything as far as I could tell, so it's not in according to
directions, but it works and read right. By the way I went from a 26 tooth
to 34.

Old December 19th 04, 12:57 PM
Old Crow

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:01:58 GMT, "Jeff Scherb" >
wrote:

>The prior owner put 31 x 10.50 tires on my Scrambler, but it's got the
>orginal speedo gear in the transfer case, so the speedo is way off.
>
>I ordered a speedo gear at the dealer but it didn't work. The shaft on the
>new gear is identical, but the gear itself is much smaller. I tried clocking
>the gear in all 4 positions but it didn't seem to engage inside the transfer
>case in any position, presumably because the gear is much smaller (too small
>for the offset provided by clocking to matter).
>
>The dealer and I have checked the parts books and the books claim we ordered
>the right gear.
>
>It's an '83, Dana 300 transfer case.
>
>Has anyone had this problem before or know anything about different size
>gears in Dana 300's?

Sometimes you have to buy the other piece too. It can have less
offset of the hole for the gear allowing it to run closer to the
output shaft.
--
Old Crow
'82 Shovelhead FLTC 92" 'Pearl'