Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets

Old December 7th 11, 07:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets

In June 2006 I had the timing belt in my '95 replaced. I assume that
they replaced the valve cover gasket as a result. About a year later
the valve cove gasket started leaking from the rear; it was tightened
and that seem to be all that was needed. In May 2009 I had the valve
cover gasket replaced because it was leaking from both sides. Now,
12/2001 it is leaking once again and needs to be replaced.

Is it common for valve cover gaskets in a Miata to fail so often? Could
there be something about the brand of the gasket (unknown) that was used
by the mechanics. Could it be an indication of some other issue? If I
do it myself this time are there any gotcha's to watch out for?

As always, I appreciate any advice I may receive about this.

Thank you!
Old December 7th 11, 10:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 12/7/2011 1:26 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> In June 2006 I had the timing belt in my '95 replaced. I assume that
> they replaced the valve cover gasket as a result. About a year later the
> valve cove gasket started leaking from the rear; it was tightened and
> that seem to be all that was needed. In May 2009 I had the valve cover
> gasket replaced because it was leaking from both sides. Now, 12/2001 it
> is leaking once again and needs to be replaced.
>
> Is it common for valve cover gaskets in a Miata to fail so often? Could
> there be something about the brand of the gasket (unknown) that was used
> by the mechanics. Could it be an indication of some other issue? If I do
> it myself this time are there any gotcha's to watch out for?
>
> As always, I appreciate any advice I may receive about this.
>
> Thank you!

I think you meant 12/2011, not 2001

Id order a new gasket, and if needed (Don't remember about 95's) the
half moon plug. Anyway, it's fairly easy to screw up the gasket install.
It's usually a rubber gasket, and does deteriorate with age.
A thin coating of an RTV like gasket material should be used when
installing a new gasket. The bolts should be tightened in the usual
pattern, and gradually, do not over tighten. What usually happens when
things leak is that the bolts were not tightened properly, or the gasket
got "pinched". I have a 99, and am on the second gasket.
About six years ago, I had the valve cover off to clean out the internal
metal mesh filter. I reused the gasket, and it (Knock on wood)
Hasn't leaked since. The original gasket was replaced some years
previous to that after a valve clearance check.

The secret to reusing the gasket, assuming it's not damaged, is to clean
everything up, and apply a thin coat of RTV like gasket goo, (from a
fresh tube) place the gasket in the slot, add a thin coat of the same
goo to the mating surface, assemble, then tighten the bolts in a
balanced pattern so the valve cover gradually seats evenly. You actually
partially torque the bolts during this process, wait a few minutes for
the goo to ooze and gradually tighten to the final torque.
Since the bolts are small, and they are going into aluminum, do not over
torque. I don't have the manual handy, so I don't have the correct
torque value at hand.

Too little goo and you get leaks. Too much, and it oozes into the inside
of the valve cover as well as the outside.

Old December 7th 11, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger[_2_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> In June 2006 I had the timing belt in my '95 replaced. I assume that
> they replaced the valve cover gasket as a result. About a year later
> the valve cove gasket started leaking from the rear; it was tightened
> and that seem to be all that was needed. In May 2009 I had the valve
> cover gasket replaced because it was leaking from both sides. Now,
> 12/2001 it is leaking once again and needs to be replaced.
>
> Is it common for valve cover gaskets in a Miata to fail so often?
> Could there be something about the brand of the gasket (unknown) that
> was used by the mechanics. Could it be an indication of some other
> issue? If I do it myself this time are there any gotcha's to watch
> out for?
>
> As always, I appreciate any advice I may receive about this.
>
> Thank you!

Had a '96 for 13 years and have had a 2004 MSM for 3 years. Never a leak.
Old December 8th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

On 12/7/2011 1:14 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> In June 2006 I had the timing belt in my '95 replaced. I assume that
>> they replaced the valve cover gasket as a result. About a year later
>> the valve cove gasket started leaking from the rear; it was tightened
>> and that seem to be all that was needed. In May 2009 I had the valve
>> cover gasket replaced because it was leaking from both sides. Now,
>> 12/2001 it is leaking once again and needs to be replaced.
>>
>> Is it common for valve cover gaskets in a Miata to fail so often?
>> Could there be something about the brand of the gasket (unknown) that
>> was used by the mechanics. Could it be an indication of some other
>> issue? If I do it myself this time are there any gotcha's to watch
>> out for?
>> As always, I appreciate any advice I may receive about this.
>>
>> Thank you!

> Had a '96 for 13 years and have had a 2004 MSM for 3 years. Never a leak.

Thank you Charlie for the detailed reply and Frank for the reality
check. Guess I will replace it myself so I know it is done correctly.
Have Rod's manual for reference on the correct tightening pattern. And
I will get the OEM gasket instead of the aftermarket ones which may
contribute to the problem. Thanks again.
Old December 8th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

On 12/8/2011 1:15 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
> On 12/7/2011 1:14 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
>> Christopher Muto wrote:
>>> In June 2006 I had the timing belt in my '95 replaced. I assume that
>>> they replaced the valve cover gasket as a result. About a year later
>>> the valve cove gasket started leaking from the rear; it was tightened
>>> and that seem to be all that was needed. In May 2009 I had the valve
>>> cover gasket replaced because it was leaking from both sides. Now,
>>> 12/2001 it is leaking once again and needs to be replaced.
>>>
>>> Is it common for valve cover gaskets in a Miata to fail so often?
>>> Could there be something about the brand of the gasket (unknown) that
>>> was used by the mechanics. Could it be an indication of some other
>>> issue? If I do it myself this time are there any gotcha's to watch
>>> out for?
>>> As always, I appreciate any advice I may receive about this.
>>>
>>> Thank you!

>> Had a '96 for 13 years and have had a 2004 MSM for 3 years. Never a leak.

> Thank you Charlie for the detailed reply and Frank for the reality
> check. Guess I will replace it myself so I know it is done correctly.
> Have Rod's manual for reference on the correct tightening pattern. And I
> will get the OEM gasket instead of the aftermarket ones which may
> contribute to the problem. Thanks again.

One thing I forgot to mention --
A common source of leakage is at the rear half moon plug. There is an
area at the top of each end of the half moon that has a tendency to
leak. It also shrinks and gets hard with age. This might be where your
leak is.
Old December 9th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
KWS[_2_]

On 12/8/2011 1:45 PM, charlie wrote:
> On 12/8/2011 1:15 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:

>>> Had a '96 for 13 years and have had a 2004 MSM for 3 years. Never a
>>> leak.

>> Thank you Charlie for the detailed reply and Frank for the reality
>> check. Guess I will replace it myself so I know it is done correctly.
>> Have Rod's manual for reference on the correct tightening pattern. And I
>> will get the OEM gasket instead of the aftermarket ones which may
>> contribute to the problem. Thanks again.

> One thing I forgot to mention --
> A common source of leakage is at the rear half moon plug. There is an
> area at the top of each end of the half moon that has a tendency to
> leak. It also shrinks and gets hard with age. This might be where your
> leak is.

My 90 does not have the half moon plug, but there are some areas where a
dab of RTV is required per the shop manual. Like previous posters, I do
not have an issue with a leaky cam cover. After 244K miles it has seen a
few timing belt changes and, always, a new gasket (with RTV blobs).

Ken