Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

Old December 14th 05, 03:12 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Hybrid Lovers Read This and Lament

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:39:10 GMT, joe schmoe > wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:19:46 GMT, "Oscar_Lives" >
>wrote:

>>What are you going to do with all that nuclear waste?
>>

>You don't think we could re-enrich it and send it to be stored where
>we get all of our oil from at the moment? We've got lots of unused
>ICBM's sitting around ;-) Kidding of course ;-)
>
>BTW How much waste is generated by fusion reactors? can't be too much.

Zero, unless you allow the environmentalist idiots to file lawsuits
claiming adding water to the environment is a disaster.
Old December 17th 05, 12:59 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article >,
joe schmoe <NG> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 03:19:46 GMT, "Oscar_Lives" >
>wrote:

>>What are you going to do with all that nuclear waste?
>>

>You don't think we could re-enrich it and send it to be stored where
>we get all of our oil from at the moment? We've got lots of unused
>ICBM's sitting around ;-) Kidding of course ;-)
>
>BTW How much waste is generated by fusion reactors? can't be too much.

More waste than net energy output.

(since net energy output is less than zero...)

If practical fusion power DID exist, there would still be waste; the
reactor vessel itself becomes radioactive over time, due to neutron
emission. Even if you come up with practical aneutronic fusion,
you'll still get some waste, though far less.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 17th 05, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>fusion has only helium and energy as results

And neutrons. Don't forget the neutrons. And of course a lot
of the energy is in the form of gamma rays.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old December 17th 05, 08:20 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

>>Because they are too saddled with pension and health care obligations
thanks to Organized Labor. <<

The nerve of those workers, wanting something so frivolous for all
those years of sweat.

Old December 17th 05, 08:22 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

>> The whole idea of hybrids is stupid. Just make cars smaller and leave out all the useless crap. Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance. <<

Detroit's not going to be building anything pretty soon, but Honda or
Toyota might build something like that. I wish I could say VW too, but
they may be going the way of Detroit.

Old December 17th 05, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> The whole idea of hybrids is stupid.

After a few years a majority of cars will be either fuel cell cars or
hybrids

> Just make cars smaller and leave
> out all the useless crap.

That is basically what you do with fuel cell cars

> Detroit could easily build a 2500 pound
> family car that gives 40 mpg and costs $8,000 brand new and gives
> 250,000 trouble-free miles on nothing but routine maintenance.

It is highly likely that Detroit will miss out on this development
at least initially

If they would want to do anything like this it would mean either hybrid
or a fuel cell or both

With fuel cells you have a lot less moving parts

What you get is more space in the car

You get a lighter car

You get a car that lasts longer

You get a car with a lot less maintenance

Fuel cells cars and hybrids are no longer just a dream they are a real
alternative

Problem is there is not very much production capacity yet

Old December 17th 05, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On 17 Dec 2005 00:20:31 -0800, "YourAdHere" >
wrote:

>>>Because they are too saddled with pension and health care obligations

>thanks to Organized Labor. <<
>
>The nerve of those workers, wanting something so frivolous for all
>those years of sweat.

The nerve of those workers, expecting current workers to support them
in their retirement instead of saving their own money for the purpose
and supporting themselves.

Old December 17th 05, 11:31 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> >thanks to Organized Labor. <<
> >
> >The nerve of those workers, wanting something so frivolous for all
> >those years of sweat.

> The nerve of those workers, expecting current workers to support them
> in their retirement instead of saving their own money for the purpose
> and supporting themselves.

Hard to say what is right. I always felt that auto workers were overpaid
but then maybe that's what makes America so great. I just do not understand
why you do not have a big fat tariff on all the goods flooding your car lots
and store shelves. Everyone else seems to. I know that you have to mortgage
your wife to be able to afford anything but a Holden in Aus. (And I am not
****ting on Aus) And the Japanese just do not buy your cars. So I lean
toward something like a tariff. If you had tariffs they could subsidize a
national health care plan then manufactures would not be faced with such
huge medical liabilities that don't end till the pensioner dies. (Tons of
cash.)

I am Canadian and we run an enormous trade surplus with the US. Thank
you. I am not so stupid as not to realize that to a great extent our
prosperity depends on your prosperity. That is not to say you are giving us
anything. You are doing the buying and if you could get a better deal from
Mexico (or wherever) you would be buying there. You are not stupid. I do
have to say, though, that you are the great economic engine that seems to
keep everything going round and round.

My biggest gripe with "the world as it's set up" (O: (O: is that the
municipal, provincial, federal and unionized workers all seem to have it
made. While the rest of society has to content itself with jobs that pay
less and have no pensions or benefits. (By the way I am retired military so
I fit in the first group. [have it made]) They (the second group) often need
to be just as qualified, often more, and they work just as hard and more
often they have to work as long as they breath.

Anyway that's my two cents.

Old December 18th 05, 01:29 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

God Bless the Unions, otherwise we would all be making what the Illegal
Immigrants are making and the cost of living would still be the same !! The
Unions brought up wages all across the country, both union and non-union
companies !!!!

Old December 18th 05, 10:44 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> God Bless the Unions, otherwise we would all be making what the Illegal
> Immigrants are making and the cost of living would still be the same !! The
> Unions brought up wages all across the country, both union and non-union
> companies !!!!

The unions have done a lot for their members in the past

They need to learn a bit about the present

It is very easy to fight for higher wages when there is a need for
workers

When companies set up factories outside the country the unions have a
very little say in it

When you can set up a factory with people who cost a fraction of the
union members it is hard to motivate the owners to continue with the
current one

What happens is that the current factory gets neglected, the current
workers more or less stay the same, the benefits do not go up,
eventually the factory will close down

Nothing new happens, the owners are working hard abroad setting up new
factories and the discussions with the unions loose most of their
meanings

The unions have very little incentive to make changes, they want status
quo or more

Status quo means going backwards

More means the owners close the factory down faster

Inevitably the poorer countries need to raise their level of standard
and they need their unions to better the standard of living for their
members - if they have unions and members

So one of the options for the Unions in the USA is to organize unions
in the factories in the countries outside the USA