Distributor Rotor Fit Problem

Old September 7th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Stafford[_3_]

Default Distributor Rotor Fit Problem

Working on a new engine. It has a bad misfiring condition, and no wonder.

See these pictures

http://www.digoliardi.net/rotor2.jpg
http://www.digoliardi.net/rotor1.jpg

This rotor is over an electronic ignition. Don't know what kind yet. It
is a rev-limiter type rotor.

It does not fit properly under the 009 distributor cap. See in
'rotor1.jpg' - where the sprung carbon contact is supposed to touch,
there is an impression of the rotor cap. The cap actually wiggles a bit
when seated.

Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Can I just put in a regular points-type rotor instead?

I'd really like to get this on the road and if I can't make this
distributor to work, I'm going swap it for the Mallory out of the good
Bug.

Thanks in advance,
and Happy Labor Day

John
Old September 7th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"John Stafford" > wrote in message
> Working on a new engine. It has a bad misfiring condition, and no wonder.
>
> See these pictures
>
> http://www.digoliardi.net/rotor2.jpg
> http://www.digoliardi.net/rotor1.jpg
>
> This rotor is over an electronic ignition. Don't know what kind yet. It
> is a rev-limiter type rotor.
>
> It does not fit properly under the 009 distributor cap. See in
> 'rotor1.jpg' - where the sprung carbon contact is supposed to touch,
> there is an impression of the rotor cap. The cap actually wiggles a bit
> when seated.
>
> Is there anything I can do to make it work?
>
> Can I just put in a regular points-type rotor instead?
>
> I'd really like to get this on the road and if I can't make this
> distributor to work, I'm going swap it for the Mallory out of the good
> Bug.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> and Happy Labor Day
>
> John

John, I have that same rotor on a locked out 009 with a pertronix.... it
*should* work for ya there... I've read, but never experienced, that there
is sometimes some interference with the aftermarket modules and the rotor,
making it necessary to grind a little of the bottom of the rotor off so it
will seat all the way down... worth checking.

Old September 7th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John Stafford[_3_]

In article >,
"Joey Tribiani" > wrote:

> John, I have that same rotor on a locked out 009 with a pertronix.... it
> *should* work for ya there... I've read, but never experienced, that there
> is sometimes some interference with the aftermarket modules and the rotor,
> making it necessary to grind a little of the bottom of the rotor off so it
> will seat all the way down... worth checking.

Hey, Chris. Ya know what was wrong? I was trying to put it in 180
degrees backwards. Gawd, somebody lock me away before I hurt myself!

Can I also use the stock rotor in the Pertronix?

Glad to see you out there, Chris. Thanks.

Now back to replacing the high-speed bumper bolts. Say, and which side
is Left, and what's these things I got left over, kinda floppy vents
with a long rod with a tiny round copper accordion thing on the end, and
which way does the clutch fit, and where do I add water?

Dangerous. And sober to boot! Imagine...
Old September 7th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"John Stafford" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
>
>> John, I have that same rotor on a locked out 009 with a pertronix.... it
>> *should* work for ya there... I've read, but never experienced, that
>> there
>> is sometimes some interference with the aftermarket modules and the
>> rotor,
>> making it necessary to grind a little of the bottom of the rotor off so
>> it
>> will seat all the way down... worth checking.

> Hey, Chris. Ya know what was wrong? I was trying to put it in 180
> degrees backwards. Gawd, somebody lock me away before I hurt myself!
>
> Can I also use the stock rotor in the Pertronix?
>
> Glad to see you out there, Chris. Thanks.
>
> Now back to replacing the high-speed bumper bolts. Say, and which side
> is Left, and what's these things I got left over, kinda floppy vents
> with a long rod with a tiny round copper accordion thing on the end, and
> which way does the clutch fit, and where do I add water?
>
> Dangerous. And sober to boot! Imagine...

I sent you an E-mail, John.... you can use a stock rotor, no problem... I
like the rev-limiting rotor myself..

Old September 7th 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randy

On Sep 7, 12:13*pm, John Stafford > wrote:

> Hey, Chris. Ya know what was wrong? I was trying to put it in 180
> degrees backwards. Gawd, somebody lock me away before I hurt myself!
>
> Dangerous. And sober to boot! Imagine...

You beat me to the problem and solution.
Don't beat yourself up over it, you're not the only one to do that.

I sat for hours 1 night trying to figure out why the distributor
wasn't going
all the way in. Of course, 180 degrees off. That will teach me to
work
on the car sober.

Randy

Distributor rotor removing Gustavo Arriagada[_1_] VW water cooled 3 August 7th 06 03:09 PM
stuck distributor rotor [email protected] Honda 9 March 29th 06 03:31 PM
How ot get a distributor rotor off rocky20 Technology 2 April 9th 05 11:55 PM
help distributor cap and rotor || BMW 4 December 8th 04 06:52 PM
change my distributor cap and rotor Burt Squareman Technology 1 December 8th 04 05:37 PM