Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 28th 05, 09:25 PM
Bernard farquart

"jaybird" > wrote in message

>> Wouldn't the code of silence necessarily leave no evidence?

> Not necessarily.

Well, if it worked..

Bernard

Old March 29th 05, 12:50 AM
John David Galt

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> If we fired every cop who was rude to a citizen who wasn't a suspect, we'd
> have maybe 100 cops per large city.

That'd be fine with me. Put 'em all to work on the serious crimes (murder,
rape, kidnapping, robbery) and ignore the 99%+ of laws that shouldn't exist
anyway.

When the police have time to run speed traps, there are too many police.
Old March 29th 05, 02:26 AM
Charles Soto

"Bo Raxo" > wrote:

> "RLK" dashes_> wrote in message
> >

> > I'd like to know if the young man was wearing a helmet. If he wasn't, then
> > he put his own life at risk, and it was no one's fault but his own.

> And do you have the same attitude about people who don't wear a seat belt
> and get in a car accident?
>
> BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed him
> the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
> helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
> (the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
> commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home, and
> wished me a nice day).
>

> Bo Raxo

LOL. I gotta remember that one. I almost had to ride home lidless
today, because I lost my keys! Sure, I have a spare to El Guapo in my
wallet. But not for the Givi bag, where my lid sleeps while I'm away.
Doh! Gotta get me a spare to keep in my drawer at work...

Turns out the key fell behind a chair in my office. Whew!

Charles

--
Charles Soto - Austin, TX *** 1999 GSF1200S, DoD No. "uno"

("Meepmeep" is "rr," as in Roadrunner, my ISP.)
Old March 29th 05, 04:13 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:30:00 -0600, Bob Mann >
wrote:

>>Imagine a hypothetical situation: Someone calls 911 to report a traffic
>>accident. The dispatcher, for some reason of his own, decides not to send anyone
>>out to the scene. As a result, the "golden hour" is missed and somebody dies.
>>What should the dispatcher's penalty be?

Can't really answer, because "for some reason of his own" isn't
defined at all.

>It depends if the dispatcher was police or ambulance.
>Sending the cops to a serious accident isn't going to help save any
>lives.
>Usually there would be a public enquiry and any discipline would arise
>out of that.

Here in the Phoenix area, the 911 dispatcher will do his/her best to
determine the extent of the emergency from the caller(s). If it looks
like anything even remotely resembling a major crash, a fire engine
with BLS is dispatched, along with police.
If the caller is calm, and describing a crash without injuries, no
fire engine is sent.
An engine is usually sent if any question arises as to seriousness, if
there's one available.
Interestingly (or not), dispatchers are usually female, as experience
shows they can remain calm more than males.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 29th 05, 04:18 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:51:23 GMT, "Bo Raxo"
> wrote:

>"RLK" dashes_> wrote in message
>>

>> I'd like to know if the young man was wearing a helmet. If he wasn't, then
>> he put his own life at risk, and it was no one's fault but his own.

>And do you have the same attitude about people who don't wear a seat belt
>and get in a car accident?
>
>BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed him
>the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
>helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
>(the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
>commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home, and
>wished me a nice day).
>

>Bo Raxo

I really wish I was that lucky in South Lake Tahoe in Nevada.
A bunch of years ago, and the city cop was threatening to take me to
jail, when I had to be at work the next day (an overnight stay in jail
was becasue it was a holiday, and no judges until the AM, according to
the cop). He said I could go if I just paid the fine to him (!).
So he got a $15 bribe for his beer fund so I could go home.
He got me less than 100 yards from the CA state line.
My helmet had been stolen (cut strap) in Carson City; two different
Nevada state troopers let me go, but the city cop needed beer, I
guess.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 29th 05, 07:18 AM
The Real Bev

jaybird wrote:

> "Alex Hernandez" > wrote:
> > Did you hear the tape? I know several cops who believe
> > he should be fired!

> And I know several more who think the opposite.

I see, they're the ones whose actions DID cause the death of the victim...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 29th 05, 07:24 AM
jaybird

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "Alex Hernandez" > wrote:
>> > Did you hear the tape? I know several cops who believe
>> > he should be fired!

>> And I know several more who think the opposite.

> I see, they're the ones whose actions DID cause the death of the victim...

Uh... no. He caused his own death due to the collision he had.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 29th 05, 07:25 AM
Alan Moore

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:10:52 GMT, Turby >
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:51:23 GMT, "Bo Raxo"
> wrote:
>
>>BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed him
>>the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
>>helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
>>(the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
>>commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home, and
>>wished me a nice day).

>Cool trick. So, how long were you able to get away with that?

All the way home!

Of course, had he been close to home and headed away, the cop might
have suspected something amiss, being as how home addresses are often
listed on drivers licenses...

Al Moore
DoD 734
Old March 29th 05, 07:27 AM
The Real Bev

jaybird wrote:

> If you're shooting in the
> defense of yourself then it's nothing...... etc, etc...

Especially if it's an old woman menacing you with a screwdriver. Oh yeah, I
forgot -- a SHARP screwdriver.