European diesel engines in North American CR-Vs

Old March 9th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
limehand[_2_]

Default European diesel engines in North American CR-Vs

I believe I am correct that there was a 1999 diesel engine option for
CR-Vs in the UK? Possibly for continental Europe as well?

Does anyone know if this diesel engine will swap into a North American
CR-V?

Anyone done it?

thanks

Michael Lough
Old March 9th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

limehand wrote:
> I believe I am correct that there was a 1999 diesel engine option for
> CR-Vs in the UK? Possibly for continental Europe as well?
>
> Does anyone know if this diesel engine will swap into a North American
> CR-V?
>
> Anyone done it?
>
> thanks
>
> Michael Lough

if you can get the mechanicals and electronics, no reason why it
wouldn't work. but you'll also need the transmission because the output
ratios will be different and the control electronics too. it's
definitely a non-trivial conversion. probably much easier to just
import a whole vehicle.
Old March 10th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
limehand[_2_]

On Mar 9, 4:35 pm, jim beam > wrote:
> limehand wrote:
> > I believe I am correct that there was a 1999 diesel engine option for
> > CR-Vs in the UK? Possibly for continental Europe as well?

> > Does anyone know if this diesel engine will swap into a North American
> > CR-V?

> > Anyone done it?

> > thanks

> > Michael Lough

> if you can get the mechanicals and electronics, no reason why it
> wouldn't work. but you'll also need the transmission because the output
> ratios will be different and the control electronics too. it's
> definitely a non-trivial conversion. probably much easier to just
> import a whole vehicle.

Well I'm guessing but it might be difficult to change the steering
wheel position too? and an engine change might be simpler than
satisfying "foreign" import requirements as well. If the car is the
same it could work with a CTDI engine though? I wonder if there were
diesel engined CR-Vs in Japan and they are cheap as chips there
because no one wants them?

just curious really...

Limehand

Old March 10th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

limehand wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:35 pm, jim beam > wrote:
>> limehand wrote:
>>> I believe I am correct that there was a 1999 diesel engine option for
>>> CR-Vs in the UK? Possibly for continental Europe as well?
>>> Does anyone know if this diesel engine will swap into a North American
>>> CR-V?
>>> Anyone done it?
>>> thanks
>>> Michael Lough

>> if you can get the mechanicals and electronics, no reason why it
>> wouldn't work. but you'll also need the transmission because the output
>> ratios will be different and the control electronics too. it's
>> definitely a non-trivial conversion. probably much easier to just
>> import a whole vehicle.

> Well I'm guessing but it might be difficult to change the steering
> wheel position too? and an engine change might be simpler than
> satisfying "foreign" import requirements as well. If the car is the
> same it could work with a CTDI engine though? I wonder if there were
> diesel engined CR-Vs in Japan and they are cheap as chips there
> because no one wants them?
>
> just curious really...
>
> Limehand

------------------------

You can already get 15 year old JAP vehicles at private dealers in
Canada. Some are diesel, mostly delivery vans / AWD vans and trucks.
Steering is on the OTHER side.

'Curly'
Old March 10th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

motsco_ > wrote in
:

> You can already get 15 year old JAP vehicles at private dealers in
> Canada. Some are diesel, mostly delivery vans / AWD vans and trucks.
> Steering is on the OTHER side.

In the past few months, I've seen a Nissan Skyline, a Nismo GTi-R and a
Toyota Prado. Plus this itty-bitty little "truck" (can't remember the
brand) which consisted of a tiny van's cab and the tiddliest pickup bed
you've ever seen. All were RHD, and all were seen on the move with valid
Ontario license plates.

The Skyline really had me wondering why it was never sold here new; it's a
good-looking car with a cool name.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 11th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
limehand[_2_]

On Mar 10, 6:55 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> motsco_ > wrote :
>

> > You can already get 15 year old JAP vehicles at private dealers in
> > Canada. Some are diesel, mostly delivery vans / AWD vans and trucks.
> > Steering is on the OTHER side.

> In the past few months, I've seen a Nissan Skyline, a Nismo GTi-R and a
> Toyota Prado. Plus this itty-bitty little "truck" (can't remember the
> brand) which consisted of a tiny van's cab and the tiddliest pickup bed
> you've ever seen. All were RHD, and all were seen on the move with valid
> Ontario license plates.
>
> The Skyline really had me wondering why it was never sold here new; it's a
> good-looking car with a cool name.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

y'all saying a 1999 cr-v diesel engine would therefore be no problem?

dont fancy driving a right hooker on the 401 thanks...
Old March 11th 08, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

limehand > wrote in
:

> y'all saying a 1999 cr-v diesel engine would therefore be no problem?

The 1999 vehicle you refer to is only 9 model years old. It is inadmissible
for importation into Canada.

From RIV's Web site
( http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm ):

"VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

"The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles
imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was
manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada
and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be
imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen
(15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the
vehicle was manufactured..."

> dont fancy driving a right hooker on the 401 thanks...

Me neither. But I'd get used to it...

Old March 11th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave Garrett

In article >,
says...

> In the past few months, I've seen a Nissan Skyline, a Nismo GTi-R and a
> Toyota Prado. Plus this itty-bitty little "truck" (can't remember the
> brand) which consisted of a tiny van's cab and the tiddliest pickup bed
> you've ever seen. All were RHD, and all were seen on the move with valid
> Ontario license plates.
>
> The Skyline really had me wondering why it was never sold here new; it's a
> good-looking car with a cool name.

Indeed. There are (or were) a couple of outfits in the US that used to
import, federalize, and sell Skylines. The new "Skyline", aka the GT-R,
will be the first one that Nissan has sold in North America itself. It
goes on sale this summer.

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/

Nice car, but I think I liked the look of the earlier-generation
Skylines better.

Dave

Old March 13th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
limehand[_2_]

Tegger said

The 1999 vehicle you refer to is only 9 model years old. It is
inadmissible
for importation into Canada.

Uh?????? I am referring to an ENGINE. Not a vehicle. An ENGINE.

iDEA is to put 1999 CTDI engine from UK Europe or Asia into 1999 CR-V
in Canada Thats the thread NOT vehicles....Jeeeeeez.

Michael

Old March 13th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hobbes

On Mar 10, 10:37*pm, Dave Garrett > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > In the past few months, I've seen a Nissan Skyline, a Nismo GTi-R and a
> > Toyota Prado. Plus this itty-bitty little "truck" (can't remember the
> > brand) which consisted of a tiny van's cab and the tiddliest pickup bed
> > you've ever seen. All were RHD, and all were seen on the move with valid
> > Ontario license plates.

> > The Skyline really had me wondering why it was never sold here new; it's a
> > good-looking car with a cool name.

> Indeed. There are (or were) a couple of outfits in the US that used to
> import, federalize, and sell Skylines. The new "Skyline", aka the GT-R,
> will be the first one that Nissan has sold in North America itself. It
> goes on sale this summer.
>
> http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/
>
> Nice car, but I think I liked the look of the earlier-generation
> Skylines better.
>
> Dave

Hi,

I spend 8 years in Japan 1990-1998 and back then and I think still now
the Nissan Skyline was a very cool car. I guess I was not really
impressed until I say one drive by. The thing that sticks in my memory
was that turbo waste gate sound as the car shifts up the gears. Sort
of Ucchsssh - Uccchsssh sort of sound. Very sexy, as was the young
lady in the right hand seat (they drive British Style over there in
Japan).

Warmest regards, Mike.