Snow tires / cold pavement

Old December 21st 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Snow tires / cold pavement

I have 4 Dayton Winterforce tires on my FWD car every winter.

I know that warm pavement will wear snow tires quickly. My question is
which is worse: warm or pavement?

If I take the snow tires out for a 200 mile drive on dry highway
pavement, but it's colder than 15 F out, how much worse is the wear on
the tire compared to if there was an inch of snow on the highway?

I'm wondering if I'm being too cautious about taking snow tires out on
plowed dry highway pavement during winter.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 21 Dec 2005 08:43:48 -0800, "Darryl" > wrote:

>I have 4 Dayton Winterforce tires on my FWD car every winter.
>
>I know that warm pavement will wear snow tires quickly.

No, they don't. I wear snows on my Jeep throughout the year, and get great
tire wear. I've always been able to wear snow tires all year and have good
longevity, and this is from way back in the 60's all the way to present day.
Snows are just fine all year 'round.

Dave Head

Old December 22nd 05, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, wrote:
>On 21 Dec 2005 08:43:48 -0800, "Darryl" > wrote:
>
>>I have 4 Dayton Winterforce tires on my FWD car every winter.
>>
>>I know that warm pavement will wear snow tires quickly.

>No, they don't. I wear snows on my Jeep throughout the year, and get great
>tire wear. I've always been able to wear snow tires all year and have good
>longevity, and this is from way back in the 60's all the way to present day.
>Snows are just fine all year 'round.
>
>Dave Head

Depends on what kind of snow tires we are talking about. I suspect that the
Jeep has the old-fashioned kind that are effective in snow simply because of a
very aggressive tread pattern - these work great in dirt/mud too so would be
appropriate for a 4wd Jeep. These are pretty imune to tempurature changes.
Modern snow tires that get their grip through very advanced tread compound
will pretty much turn into bubble gum in warm weather and wear extremely
rapidly. The rubber compound is engineered to stay soft at very low
temperatures. Bridgstone pioneered this approach with the original Blizzak
tire. As a concrete example, my roommate had Dunlop Graspics on her Volvo for
three winters, they had plenty of tread life left - maybe 60-70%. She was
forced through job circumstances to continue using them through last Summer,
by Fall they were down to the wear bars.

But as to the OP's question - in the cold, I would not think there would be a
huge difference in wear between using modern snow tires on a cold dry highway
and a snow covered one. Some difference, if for no other reason than the fact
that if the highway is dry you are likely driving a whole lot faster! But get
them off when the weather warms up.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine (lots of snow tires over the years)
Old December 22nd 05, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

wrote:
>>On 21 Dec 2005 08:43:48 -0800, "Darryl" > wrote:
>>
>>>I have 4 Dayton Winterforce tires on my FWD car every winter.
>>>
>>>I know that warm pavement will wear snow tires quickly.

>>No, they don't. I wear snows on my Jeep throughout the year, and get great
>>tire wear. I've always been able to wear snow tires all year and have good
>>longevity, and this is from way back in the 60's all the way to present day.
>>Snows are just fine all year 'round.
>>
>>Dave Head

>Depends on what kind of snow tires we are talking about. I suspect that the
>Jeep has the old-fashioned kind that are effective in snow simply because of a
>very aggressive tread pattern - these work great in dirt/mud too so would be
>appropriate for a 4wd Jeep.

Yep, they are not hydrophilics, for sure. Hydrophilics are generally expensive
and rare - Blizzaks, for instance - so I didn't even consider them.

Dave Head

tires snow dave Mazda 11 December 25th 05 08:37 AM
Mismatched tire brands [email protected] Jeep 81 December 2nd 05 10:29 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 Driving 16 April 29th 05 12:26 AM
Burning Rubber Gets Expensive MrPepper11 General 15 April 28th 05 01:25 PM
hybrids: toyota vs. honda Magnulus Driving 38 January 18th 05 07:09 PM