Z4 automatic vs. stick

Old November 26th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

Default Z4 automatic vs. stick

In article <X5lah.7594$IW2.6284@trndny03>,
Jack > wrote:
> On the other point, if a clutch goes out it costs you $150 and a
> Saturday spent under the car

You're taking a very simple example here. Some clutches these days aren't
simple and aren't cheap. The flywheel may also need replacing.

> whereas band clutch failure in an auto will cost you about 20 times that
> amount and will often result in scrapping the vehicle. Automatic
> transmissions have their place - it's just not in any of my cars.

Well it's quite possible to DIY auto box repairs if you take a simple one
as you have with a clutch. Nor are the parts that expensive. I've done
several. Not a modern electronically controlled 5+ speed, though. Yet. ;-)

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 27th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote
> Floyd Rogers > wrote:

>> They were designed to last around 100K miles,
>> and it was rare to get more than that from them.

> But what failed? I was specifically referring to the gear train rather
> than the various clutches.

The bushing/thrust washer that holds the planetary away from
the sun/planetary holder.

FloydR

Old November 28th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Floyd Rogers > wrote:
> >> They were designed to last around 100K miles,
> >> and it was rare to get more than that from them.

> > But what failed? I was specifically referring to the gear train rather
> > than the various clutches.

> The bushing/thrust washer that holds the planetary away from
> the sun/planetary holder.

Poor design or materials, then. Most autos go to their grave without
suffering that sort of failure.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Old November 28th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote

>> > But what failed? I was specifically referring to the gear train rather
>> > than the various clutches.

>> The bushing/thrust washer that holds the planetary away from
>> the sun/planetary holder.

> Poor design or materials, then. Most autos go to their grave without
> suffering that sort of failure.

Since almost all GM autos from that era die with that failure, your
statement
that "most" live is obviously incorrect. I agree that it's poor design: a
ball
bearing carrier (rather than the cheaper roller bearing and thrust washer)
would last much longer. Doesn't change the facts, however.

FloydR

Old November 28th 06, 08:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >, Floyd Rogers
> wrote:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote

> >> The bushing/thrust washer that holds the planetary away from
> >> the sun/planetary holder.

> > Poor design or materials, then. Most autos go to their grave without
> > suffering that sort of failure.

> Since almost all GM autos from that era die with that failure, your
> statement
> that "most" live is obviously incorrect.

But I'm speaking from a UK perspective. The GM autos from that era used
here tended to be the larger ones fitted to Jaguar and Rolls Royce.

> I agree that it's poor design: a ball bearing carrier (rather than
> the cheaper roller bearing and thrust washer) would last much longer.
> Doesn't change the facts, however.

Facts depend on where they're gathered from.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Old November 28th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote
> But I'm speaking from a UK perspective. The GM autos from that era used
> here tended to be the larger ones fitted to Jaguar and Rolls Royce.

When did we start speaking from a UK perspective? (I'm not going
to bother to look, as I no longer care.) This is a global group, not UK
specific, so "facts" should be world-wide, not cherry picked from one
country.

Later.

FloydR

Old November 28th 06, 08:11 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Floyd Rogers > wrote:
> > But I'm speaking from a UK perspective. The GM autos from that era used
> > here tended to be the larger ones fitted to Jaguar and Rolls Royce.

> When did we start speaking from a UK perspective? (I'm not going
> to bother to look, as I no longer care.) This is a global group, not UK
> specific, so "facts" should be world-wide, not cherry picked from one
> country.

Indeed. The point I perhaps was trying to make more honestly after you
started talking about 'US GMC autos'. ;-)

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Old November 28th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling

No. It's a US-perspective (or even LA-perspective) NG...

DAS

---

[...]

Old November 28th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> No. It's a US-perspective (or even LA-perspective) NG...

Since it *is* a US originated group I try to make it plain where I hail
from.

Wish it were the case with some others writing to car groups with 'uk' in
the title...

--
*Indian Driver - Smoke signals only*

Old November 29th 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>> No. It's a US-perspective (or even LA-perspective) NG...

> Since it *is* a US originated group I try to make it plain where I hail
> from.
>
> Wish it were the case with some others writing to car groups with 'uk' in
> the title...

What makes it a "US Originated group"?