Z4 automatic vs. stick

Old November 22nd 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

Default Z4 automatic vs. stick

"Tom Scales" > wrote in message
.. .

> "grinder" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>>
>> "Keith" > wrote in message

>>> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to
>>> me. I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with
>>> the SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and
>>> like that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say
>>> it is one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with
>>> troubles with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now
>>> have a 2006 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better
>>> automobile all around.

>> They are two different cars. The Z4 is not practical but it will be a
>> "weekend" car and not an everyday drive. The 3 series would be my second
>> choice although there is not much room in the back seat. My third
>> choice would be a X3 but I don't like the expense and maintenance
>> associated with AWD regardless of the improved handling.
>>

> You might want to at least drive an M3. Try the SMG too. Some people
> don't like it, as the previous poster said. I have it in my M3 and love
> it.
>
> Definately not an automatic and if that is the 'feel' you want, the SMG is
> not for you. If you like a 6-speed, but want an auto mode in traffic, the
> SMG is great.
>
> Love mine.
>
> But I have a 540 when I need an auto

The M3 would be too much money for a weekend car. And I am kind of old
school. Automatic or manual. The SMG may be nice but I prefer tried and
true technology.

Old November 22nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Keith" > wrote in message
>> grinder wrote:
>>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>>
>>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic
>>> transmissions make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been
>>> driving autos for over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>>

>> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to me.
>> I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with the
>> SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and like
>> that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say it is
>> one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with troubles
>> with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now have a 2006
>> 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better automobile all
>> around.

> Now THAT is very good advice. I get the whole two-seater thing, and I
> drive a convertible so I even understand the attraction there. But, as
> much as I like the looks of the two-seaters (pretty much all of them),
> when I get to my retirement and can have such a toy, my choice will be
> another 3 Series with 4 seats. We rather enjoy going places with the top
> down, and storage space is handy with the back seat available.

When I retire the choice will be made for me and I will have to abandon two
seaters because I will not be able to get in and out of them. Right now
the 2 seater appeals more to me. If I need to haul something I will use the
4-runner and if it doesn't fit in the 4-runner I will rent a pick-up. But
if I am going for an overnight trip down the coast I will throw a bag in the
trunk and take the Z4.

BTW, the new Z4 coups look tremendous.

Old November 22nd 06, 09:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

"Fred W" > wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>
>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
>> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for
>> over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>

> I have a preference for a stick, especially in a roadster. As you say in
> another post, the Z4 would not be your commuter car, so why worry about
> manners in traffic? An automatic demands less involvement of the driver
> in the actual driving. If you want a fun car, get a standard (with
> clutch) car. How could anyone consider a sports car with an automatic
> transmission?
>

> --
> -Fred W

Ever drive in San Francisco? I have - with a stick and believe me it is
not fun. I had to take my 4-runner in a few weeks back and there is nothing
worse than climbing one of those hills and seeing the traffic light at the
top turn red. Driving a stick in heavy stop-and-go traffic is not fun
either. Over the years I have just gotten sick of them. Initially I chose
a stick because it was more dependable than an automatic but that cannot be
said anymore.

Old November 22nd 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article et>,
grinder > wrote:
> The M3 would be too much money for a weekend car. And I am kind of old
> school. Automatic or manual. The SMG may be nice but I prefer tried
> and true technology.

I agree. Until BMW join the 21st century and use a twin clutch SMG the
rough changes when in auto mode just ain't acceptable. It's one thing
having 'punchy' changes when enjoying a country road, but not when
trickling through traffic.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 22nd 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

"grinder" wrote
> Ever drive in San Francisco? I have - with a stick and believe me it is
> not fun. I had to take my 4-runner in a few weeks back and there is
> nothing worse than climbing one of those hills and seeing the traffic
> light at the top turn red. Driving a stick in heavy stop-and-go traffic
> is not fun either. Over the years I have just gotten sick of them.
> Initially I chose a stick because it was more dependable than an automatic
> but that cannot be said anymore.

Why are we even having this discussion then?

Pete

Old November 22nd 06, 11:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

"Pete" > wrote in message

> "grinder" wrote
>> Ever drive in San Francisco? I have - with a stick and believe me it is
>> not fun. I had to take my 4-runner in a few weeks back and there is
>> nothing worse than climbing one of those hills and seeing the traffic
>> light at the top turn red. Driving a stick in heavy stop-and-go traffic
>> is not fun either. Over the years I have just gotten sick of them.
>> Initially I chose a stick because it was more dependable than an
>> automatic but that cannot be said anymore.

> Why are we even having this discussion then?
>
> Pete

My original post stated I wanted an automatic and why. But I thought it
would be interesting to hear other viewpoints. At first blush I can see
why someone couldn't understand why someone would choose an auto over a
stick for a sports car.

Old November 23rd 06, 12:26 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch[_1_]

"grinder" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over
> 30 years and am ready for a change.

My wife just bought a Z4si a couple of weeks ago with the automatic. The si
version also has the "sports" mode and the 255 hp engine version.

To be honest, I was not overly impressed I first drove the car in the normal
"D" mode. (I drive a Porsche 996TT manual, so the Z wasn't really a fair
comparison)
The Z4si was ok ... but goes through the gears quickly .... like an American
built sedan, so at 45 mph on a back road it is in 5th or 6th gear at low
RPM. If you give it a bit of gas, it's response was sluggish, IMO, unless
you caused it to downshift. That is, until I tried the sports mode .....

We've had several BMW's before, some with a "sports" mode that makes subtle
changes to the shift points and the suspension stiffness. In the Z4si the
sports mode is not subtle at all.
It causes the automatic shifts to behave very much like how you should drive
a high revving, manual sports car. It selects a gear that keeps the engine
RPM up and won't shift until it should ... rather than trying to get into a
higher gear quickly. It also automatically downshifts when you are slowing
down as if it were a manual, again keeping the engine RPM up in a sweet spot
on the hp and torque curve. It really is effective and makes the Z perform
like a European sports car.

I think the sports mode is only available in the si version .... it isn't
offered in the Z4i as far as I know.

You can also shift "manually" with the BMW Steptronic (or whatever they call
it) but I was very impressed with the auto/sports mode.

BTW ... this is an '06 model. I don't know about earlier years.

Eisboch

Old November 23rd 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> grinder > wrote:
>> The M3 would be too much money for a weekend car. And I am kind of old
>> school. Automatic or manual. The SMG may be nice but I prefer tried
>> and true technology.

> I agree. Until BMW join the 21st century and use a twin clutch SMG the
> rough changes when in auto mode just ain't acceptable. It's one thing
> having 'punchy' changes when enjoying a country road, but not when
> trickling through traffic.
>
> --
> *A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *
>
> Dave Plowman London SW
> To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You must be driving a different SMG than I am. I can choose the
'roughness' of the shifts. 1-2 means smooth.

4-6 means fun.

Tom

Old November 23rd 06, 09:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

Eisboch wrote:

> You can also shift "manually" with the BMW Steptronic (or whatever they call
> it) but I was very impressed with the auto/sports mode.
>
> BTW ... this is an '06 model. I don't know about earlier years.
>
> Eisboch

I have the step-tronic in my 740 and it makes the car a totally
different animal so if you can get one with the manual option I'd
recommend it. I often use it to lock the car in gear on twisty roads
etc so it's not running away or doesn't kick down on a corner.

I have the regular torque converter and I'm sure one with a lower
stall speed (like in the sport model) would reduce the slushiness feel.

Mine has the adaptive box and it's alright but it takes a while to
learn. I'd prefer a manual override other than the full sports mode.

Old November 23rd 06, 10:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Frank Lenaerts

"grinder" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over
> 30 years and am ready for a change.

Well I'm buying a E92 335d and with the massive torque it has at low revs,
the Steptronic is a standard option, since the MT can't handle it. I took
the car out for a testdrive and really love it! DS mode really reads my
thaughts, and you can always go in manual mode

F.