Z4 automatic vs. stick

Old November 22nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

Default Z4 automatic vs. stick

Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?

I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be driving
it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions make them
as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over 30 years
and am ready for a change.

Old November 22nd 06, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"grinder" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over
> 30 years and am ready for a change.

Sounds like an auto will make you happy. Go for it. Why does anyone else's
opinion matter?

Old November 22nd 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Keith

grinder wrote:
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be driving
> it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions make them
> as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over 30 years
> and am ready for a change.

I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to
me. I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with
the SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and
like that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say
it is one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with
troubles with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now
have a 2006 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better
automobile all around.
Old November 22nd 06, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

"Keith" > wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>
>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
>> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for
>> over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>

> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to me.
> I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with the
> SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and like
> that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say it is
> one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with troubles
> with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now have a 2006
> 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better automobile all
> around.

They are two different cars. The Z4 is not practical but it will be a
"weekend" car and not an everyday drive. The 3 series would be my second
choice although there is not much room in the back seat. My third choice
would be a X3 but I don't like the expense and maintenance associated with
AWD regardless of the improved handling.

Old November 22nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"grinder" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Keith" > wrote in message
>> grinder wrote:
>>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>>
>>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic
>>> transmissions make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been
>>> driving autos for over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>>

>> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to me.
>> I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with the
>> SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and like
>> that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say it is
>> one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with troubles
>> with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now have a 2006
>> 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better automobile all
>> around.

> They are two different cars. The Z4 is not practical but it will be a
> "weekend" car and not an everyday drive. The 3 series would be my second
> choice although there is not much room in the back seat. My third choice
> would be a X3 but I don't like the expense and maintenance associated with
> AWD regardless of the improved handling.

You might want to at least drive an M3. Try the SMG too. Some people don't
like it, as the previous poster said. I have it in my M3 and love it.

Definately not an automatic and if that is the 'feel' you want, the SMG is
not for you. If you like a 6-speed, but want an auto mode in traffic, the
SMG is great.

Love mine.

But I have a 540 when I need an auto

Old November 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

grinder wrote:
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be driving
> it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions make them
> as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over 30 years
> and am ready for a change.

I have a preference for a stick, especially in a roadster. As you say
in another post, the Z4 would not be your commuter car, so why worry
about manners in traffic? An automatic demands less involvement of the
driver in the actual driving. If you want a fun car, get a standard
(with clutch) car. How could anyone consider a sports car with an
automatic transmission?

--
-Fred W
Old November 22nd 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_2_]

"Fred W" wrote
> I have a preference for a stick, especially in a roadster. As you say in
> another post, the Z4 would not be your commuter car, so why worry about
> manners in traffic? An automatic demands less involvement of the driver
> in the actual driving. If you want a fun car, get a standard (with
> clutch) car. How could anyone consider a sports car with an automatic
> transmission?

I'm kind of the same way... If you just want to steer, get an automatic. If
you actually want to drive, get a manual. But that's just me... automatics
have their benefits too, so it all depends on what's important for you and
what you enjoy. Hence, it's a personal preference, so I don't even see a
point of asking what others think.

Cheers,
Pete

Old November 22nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"grinder" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>
> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for over
> 30 years and am ready for a change.

Get whichever makes you the most comfortable. If you want a manual
transmission, then get one. If you want an automatic, get one of those.
Whatever you do, do not get a transmission according to what somebody else
thinks is good.

A BMW transmission in either form is going to give you excellent service.

Old November 22nd 06, 08:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Keith" > wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>
>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic transmissions
>> make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been driving autos for
>> over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>

> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to me.
> I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with the
> SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and like
> that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say it is
> one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with troubles
> with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now have a 2006
> 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better automobile all
> around.

Now THAT is very good advice. I get the whole two-seater thing, and I drive
a convertible so I even understand the attraction there. But, as much as I
like the looks of the two-seaters (pretty much all of them), when I get to
my retirement and can have such a toy, my choice will be another 3 Series
with 4 seats. We rather enjoy going places with the top down, and storage
space is handy with the back seat available.

Old November 22nd 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"grinder" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Keith" > wrote in message
>> grinder wrote:
>>> Anybody have a preference of automatic over stick?
>>>
>>> I will be buying a Z4. I want an automatic because 1) I will not be
>>> driving it like a race car and 2) the advances in automatic
>>> transmissions make them as reliable as manuals and 3) I have been
>>> driving autos for over 30 years and am ready for a change.
>>>

>> I would get the auto. From test drives, BMW autos seem pretty good to me.
>> I would suggest staying away from the SMG. I had a 2004 Z4 3.0i with the
>> SMG and although the technology was cool - I am a bit of a geek and like
>> that kind of stuff - it was not very smooth shifting. I would say it is
>> one of the reasons I traded the car in so soon (that along with troubles
>> with the top and wanting room for more than 2 people). I now have a 2006
>> 330i with a 6 speed manual and I think it is a much better automobile all
>> around.

> They are two different cars. The Z4 is not practical but it will be a
> "weekend" car and not an everyday drive. The 3 series would be my second
> choice although there is not much room in the back seat. My third choice
> would be a X3 but I don't like the expense and maintenance associated with
> AWD regardless of the improved handling.

My wife and I took a trip in the convertible last weekend to the local Fry's
Electronics store to get a monitor. While there, we opted to buy a computer
for one of the kids for Christmas. I'm glad we had the 3 Series convertible
because we could not fit the stuff we bought into the trunk.

Buy the 4-seater and use it for weekends. You'll spend about the same money,
but you'll appreciate the extra space. Guarantied. Trust me, the 330
convertible is not a very practical car either, but it is more practical
than the Z3 or the Z4. Frankly, the 325 or 328 convertible (whichever they
sell these days) is as fun to drive as the 330, and it looks damn near
identical. Personally, I prefer the tire package on the 330, but that's just
me.