M30 air intake manifold

Old May 7th 07, 12:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

Default M30 air intake manifold

On 27 Apr, 15:34, "Bill" > wrote:
> "E28 Guyİ" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Apr 27, 10:04 am, noobiedoobie > wrote:

> > > I separated the cylindrical object at the end
> > > of the fuel rail thinking it was the gas vapour ventilation return
> > > because it had a vacuum hose attached, but found out after slight fuel
> > > spillage that fuel was going through this! This can't be the fuel
> > > filter, can it?

> > No. It is the fuel pressure regulator.

> > Get a Bentley manual so you know what the hell you're doing in there.
> > It may cost you $50, but it will save you that much in aggravation and
> > time, if not money paid to *redo the job properly*, the first time you
> > use it.
> > --
> > C.R. Krieger
> > (Been there; done that)

> I've agree with Krieger here. It's much safer to get the Bentley manual. My
> years of experience still call for the Bentley lookups from time to time.
> Besides, it gives pictures and drawings. The day I bought my 3er and my 5er,
> I ordered or went to the bookstore and got a Bentley manual. That's like
> purchase #2 after the car. It will take the same amount of time to get the
> manual as it will to order the parts you'll need. They'll arrive close to
> the same time and you'll appreciate it.
>
> Leave the fuel rail on the manifold. Remove the manifold first. The harness
> disconnect is round (barrel-type) and below the manifold on the drivers
> side. Check this out for some quick pics:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...ntake-manifold...
> emZ170105106472QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36474QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem It's similar
> enough to get the idea. The injectors are removed, but you can see the
> holes. Send me an e-mail and can send a few better pics to you directly.
>

> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i- Hide quoted text -

SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
a tamed tiger. My intake manifold refurbishing seemed to do the
trick. Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material. I
also cleaned out the spark plugs, ICV and air meter and throttle, and
replaced the PCV hose. Total cost about 40 bucks Canadian, and about
8 hours of labour. I did change the oil and filter and used some fuel
injector cleaner in the gasoline tank. I guess the next steps will be
to change the oil pressure switch and ATF. A very big thanks to all
of you who helped me out with info. Now, how do I change out the oil
pressure switch at the back of the head?

Old May 7th 07, 01:34 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W

noobiedoobie wrote:

> SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
> a tamed tiger. My intake manifold refurbishing seemed to do the
> trick.

Congrats.

> Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
> suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material.

Well, it (RTV, aka silicone sealant) makes great gaskets. But you do
run the risk of fouling your O2 sensor(s), so best not to use it much.

--
-Fred W
Old May 7th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

"noobiedoobie" > wrote in message
SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
a tamed tiger. My intake manifold refurbishing seemed to do the
trick. Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material. I
also cleaned out the spark plugs, ICV and air meter and throttle, and
replaced the PCV hose. Total cost about 40 bucks Canadian, and about
8 hours of labour. I did change the oil and filter and used some fuel
injector cleaner in the gasoline tank. I guess the next steps will be
to change the oil pressure switch and ATF. A very big thanks to all
of you who helped me out with info. Now, how do I change out the oil
pressure switch at the back of the head?
-----

It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It just
screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute job
and about $12. Hopefully you can reach it with all the stuff back on!
Congrats on the better running.

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old May 7th 07, 10:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
E28 Guyİ

On May 7, 11:07 am, "Bill" > wrote:

> It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It just
> screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
> enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute job
> and about $12.

.... and I think that includes buying the wrench. It's at least a 21;
maybe a 22 mm. I've never paid more than $8 for the sender.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old May 12th 07, 03:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

On May 7, 12:07 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> "noobiedoobie" > wrote in message
>
> SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
> a tamed tiger. My intake manifold refurbishing seemed to do the
> trick. Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
> suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material. I
> also cleaned out the spark plugs, ICV and air meter and throttle, and
> replaced the PCV hose. Total cost about 40 bucks Canadian, and about
> 8 hours of labour. I did change the oil and filter and used some fuel
> injector cleaner in the gasoline tank. I guess the next steps will be
> to change the oil pressure switch and ATF. A very big thanks to all
> of you who helped me out with info. Now, how do I change out the oil
> pressure switch at the back of the head?
> -----
>
> It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It just
> screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
> enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute job
> and about $12. Hopefully you can reach it with all the stuff back on!
> Congrats on the better running.
>
> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i

Got a problem...I accidentally dropped the new oil pressure switch
onto the transmission housing. I heard it roll all the way to the
back somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle. There's 20 bucks down
the drain, unless you can help me find a way to get it out. Can I
access the top of the transmission from the interior of the vehicle
perhaps through the dashboard somehow? I really don't want to take
apart the intake manifold again...what a hassle. Help me...save 20
bucks...please...

Old May 12th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

On May 7, 5:06 pm, E28 Guyİ > wrote:
> On May 7, 11:07 am, "Bill" > wrote:
>
> > It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It just
> > screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
> > enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute job
> > and about $12.

> ... and I think that includes buying the wrench. It's at least a 21;
> maybe a 22 mm. I've never paid more than $8 for the sender.
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (Been there; done that)

I may have to buy another one. The one I bought from the dealer today
I clutzed down onto the transmission housing. Where could I find the
cheapest one? And that hex nut was a big one. I didn't have the
correct socket so I had to MacGyver it with an adjustable wrench.
Ebay?

Old May 12th 07, 06:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bill[_4_]

"noobiedoobie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 7, 12:07 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> > "noobiedoobie" > wrote in message
> >
> > SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
> > a tamed tiger. My intake manifold refurbishing seemed to do the
> > trick. Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
> > suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material. I
> > also cleaned out the spark plugs, ICV and air meter and throttle, and
> > replaced the PCV hose. Total cost about 40 bucks Canadian, and about
> > 8 hours of labour. I did change the oil and filter and used some fuel
> > injector cleaner in the gasoline tank. I guess the next steps will be
> > to change the oil pressure switch and ATF. A very big thanks to all
> > of you who helped me out with info. Now, how do I change out the oil
> > pressure switch at the back of the head?
> > -----
> >
> > It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It

just
> > screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
> > enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute

job
> > and about $12. Hopefully you can reach it with all the stuff back on!
> > Congrats on the better running.
> >
> > Bill in Omaha
> > '86 535i

> Got a problem...I accidentally dropped the new oil pressure switch
> onto the transmission housing. I heard it roll all the way to the
> back somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle. There's 20 bucks down
> the drain, unless you can help me find a way to get it out. Can I
> access the top of the transmission from the interior of the vehicle
> perhaps through the dashboard somehow? I really don't want to take
> apart the intake manifold again...what a hassle. Help me...save 20
> bucks...please...

It's on top of the heat shield, between the underbody and the driveline.
Jack up one side of the car and undo the screws along one side of the heat
shield. Stick your hand in there to get the switch. I'd tap the heat shield
to determine where the switch rolled to (kinda like finding a stud inside a
wall).

Bill in Omaha
'86 535i

Old May 16th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
noobiedoobie

On May 12, 1:36 am, "Bill" > wrote:
> "noobiedoobie" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On May 7, 12:07 pm, "Bill" > wrote:
> > > "noobiedoobie" > wrote in message

> > > SUCCESS !!! I am happy to report that I have this puppy purring like
> > > a tamed tiger. Myintakemanifold refurbishing seemed to do the
> > > trick. Note: I didn't use any RTV sealant on gaskets because I
> > > suspect (I could be wrong) that it degrades the gasket material. I
> > > also cleaned out the spark plugs, ICV andairmeter and throttle, and
> > > replaced the PCV hose. Total cost about 40 bucks Canadian, and about
> > > 8 hours of labour. I did change the oil and filter and used some fuel
> > > injector cleaner in the gasoline tank. I guess the next steps will be
> > > to change the oil pressure switch and ATF. A very big thanks to all
> > > of you who helped me out with info. Now, how do I change out the oil
> > > pressure switch at the back of the head?
> > > -----

> > > It's located on the driver's side at the firewall end of the head.It

> just
> > > screws into the head. I think it's a 19mm or 21mm wrench. You just need
> > > enough grab to break it loose, then it will finger turn out. 5 minute

> job
> > > and about $12. Hopefully you can reach it with all the stuff back on!
> > > Congrats on the better running.

> > > Bill in Omaha
> > > '86 535i

> > Got a problem...I accidentally dropped the new oil pressure switch
> > onto the transmission housing. I heard it roll all the way to the
> > back somewhere towards the rear of the vehicle. There's 20 bucks down
> > the drain, unless you can help me find a way to get it out. Can I
> > access the top of the transmission from the interior of the vehicle
> > perhaps through the dashboard somehow? I really don't want to take
> > apart theintakemanifold again...what a hassle. Help me...save 20
> > bucks...please...

> It's on top of the heat shield, between the underbody and the driveline.
> Jack up one side of the car and undo the screws along one side of the heat
> shield. Stick your hand in there to get the switch. I'd tap the heat shield
> to determine where the switch rolled to (kinda like finding a stud inside a
> wall).
>
> Bill in Omaha
> '86 535i- Hide quoted text -

Now that the oil switch has been replaced, I have no more oil leaking
and the car doesn't smell of oil after I have been driving it. The
leaky oil switch is placed right over the #6 air intake vent, such
that when it was leaking it spilled oil right onto the gasket and
eventually over time, the oil got into the air intake and minute
amounts of burnt oil made their way out of the exhaust resulting in
the foul odour. Now it is completely gone! What a great remedy.
Unbelievable. Just an FYI, I am just about ready to strap on the
hydroxy generator. What is the official mileage claim for a 91 535i?

Nasty looking intake manifold!! fenderjw VW air cooled 8 May 7th 07 05:56 PM
Intake manifold dosio Ford Explorer 7 February 20th 07 09:53 PM
5.9 Hi-Po Intake Manifold RCSnyder Jeep 11 February 3rd 06 12:52 AM
M30 Intake Manifold Bill BMW 6 November 21st 04 11:39 AM
GT intake manifold crack C Miller Ford Mustang 8 November 12th 04 05:06 PM