Diesel starting problem - update

Old October 14th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
Mr X

Default Diesel starting problem - update - finally sorted

In article >, Bob Mannix
> writes

>"The Natural Philosopher" > wrote in message
. ..
>> Mr X wrote:
>>> In article >, The Natural
>>> Philosopher > writes

>>> What kind of complete idiot does this?

>> One hwo ws fully aware of te anegrs, or so he thought.
>>

>15', you were lucky! I used a bit of burning paper on the end of a
>broomstick and laid down flat. Quite a loud bang considering the lack of
>space confinement. Like the paper dart idea though - much more elegant than
>a broomstick )

You think it is a joking matter?

It seems to be the case that the more time there is between the
dispensing of the petrol and its ignition, the greater the hazard (and
yes, I do understand why this might be).
--
Mr X

Old October 14th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
Mr X

In article >, The Natural
Philosopher > writes

>Mr X wrote:
>> In article >, The Natural
>> Philosopher > writes
>>
>>> I was about 15 feet from the petrol soaked bonfire, squatting
>>> down lighting a paper dart to throw at it from what I thought was a safe
>>> distance.....

>> What kind of complete idiot does this?

>One hwo ws fully aware of te anegrs, or so he thought.

Que?

>> You should be locked up to protect the public.

>You should shove your finger up your arse and wiggle it about.

I apologise -- my comments were not intended to be an attack on yourself
personally but reflected my astonishment that some people (in general)
can be so ignorant regarding the extreme dangers of petroleum vapour.
--
Mr X
Old October 14th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
Guy King

The message >
from Mr X > contains these words:

> It seems to be the case that the more time there is between the
> dispensing of the petrol and its ignition, the greater the hazard (and
> yes, I do understand why this might be).

Oooh, yes. I remember that one. When I was about 15 a friend and I came
by about ten gallons of petrol that had had a bit of diesel mixed in it.
So we waited for a very still evening and sploshed it all round a
test-digging where the M26 now runs near Otford. Set it off remotely
after about five minutes for it to evaporate 'cos we'd heard about
fuel-air explosives and wanted to try one for ourselves. Damned lucky we
were nearly 100 yards away. Some of the saplings it snapped off must
have been nearly 2" thick.

--
Skipweasel
Old October 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
The Natural Philosopher

Mr X wrote:
> In article >, Bob Mannix
> > writes

>>> One hwo ws fully aware of te anegrs, or so he thought.
>>>

>> 15', you were lucky! I used a bit of burning paper on the end of a
>> broomstick and laid down flat. Quite a loud bang considering the lack of
>> space confinement. Like the paper dart idea though - much more elegant than
>> a broomstick )

> You think it is a joking matter?
>
> It seems to be the case that the more time there is between the
> dispensing of the petrol and its ignition, the greater the hazard (and
> yes, I do understand why this might be).

You have to laugh really. Otherwise you become a bore.
Old October 14th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
The Natural Philosopher

Mr X wrote:
> In article >, The Natural
> Philosopher > writes
>
>> Mr X wrote:
>>> In article >, The Natural
>>> Philosopher > writes

>>> What kind of complete idiot does this?

>> One hwo ws fully aware of te anegrs, or so he thought.

> Que?
>
>>> You should be locked up to protect the public.

>> You should shove your finger up your arse and wiggle it about.

> I apologise -- my comments were not intended to be an attack on yourself
> personally but reflected my astonishment that some people (in general)
> can be so ignorant regarding the extreme dangers of petroleum vapour.

What got me on that occasion was just how FAR the vapour would travel at
ground level on a calm hot day. I was YARDS away. It was an unlucky
combination of weather, and timing.

Old October 14th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
The Natural Philosopher

Guy King wrote:
> The message >
> from Mr X > contains these words:
>
>> It seems to be the case that the more time there is between the
>> dispensing of the petrol and its ignition, the greater the hazard (and
>> yes, I do understand why this might be).

> Oooh, yes. I remember that one. When I was about 15 a friend and I came
> by about ten gallons of petrol that had had a bit of diesel mixed in it.
> So we waited for a very still evening and sploshed it all round a
> test-digging where the M26 now runs near Otford. Set it off remotely
> after about five minutes for it to evaporate 'cos we'd heard about
> fuel-air explosives and wanted to try one for ourselves. Damned lucky we
> were nearly 100 yards away. Some of the saplings it snapped off must
> have been nearly 2" thick.

I remember at Farnborough air show they did a mock attack on something
with the finale of blowing it up with napalm.

The resulting smoke ring was about 5 miles across by the time it
dissipated at 15,000 feet..
Old October 15th 06, 01:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
Mr X

In article >, The Natural
Philosopher > writes

>Mr X wrote:
>> In article >, The Natural
>> Philosopher > writes

>>> One hwo ws fully aware of te anegrs, or so he thought.

>> Que?

>>> You should shove your finger up your arse and wiggle it about.

>> I apologise -- my comments were not intended to be an attack on yourself
>> personally but reflected my astonishment that some people (in general)
>> can be so ignorant regarding the extreme dangers of petroleum vapour.

>What got me on that occasion was just how FAR the vapour would travel at
>ground level on a calm hot day. I was YARDS away. It was an unlucky
>combination of weather, and timing.

Yes, I know just what you mean...

And the "wooofff!" sound is scary, too

See! I've done it as well!
--
Mr X

I have a new policy of not arguing with pedants.
Old October 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.autos.bmw
Eisboch

"The Natural Philosopher" > wrote in message

> Very few cars have petrol tanks explode on impact. You can toss a
> cigarette into a poll of petrol and it won't ignite.

Let me back up a few more steps before you demonstrate.

Eisboch