Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

Old June 20th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:32:02 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article >,
> Robin Parkinson > wrote:
>> (If you cornered me and insisted that I compare my Z4 to a Brit
>> sportscar, then I'd probably have to compare it to a big Healey....)

> I'd have said it's closer to a Stag. The Healey is a brutal heavy car to
> drive...

It is indeed. However, I can't agree with you when you compare a Z4
to a Stag: a Stag's got too many cylinders, too many seats, too much metal
above the waistline. Too much metal below it, come to think of it.

I like Stags, and I've often vaguely contemplated getting one (a friend
has a Stag to complement his Elise) but I have difficulty thinking of it
as a sportscar. Nice sporty tourer, though.

- Robin.

--
Trout: Slightly fishy but never coarse. http://www.troutmag.org

Old June 20th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:30:50 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> In article >,
> Robin Parkinson > wrote:
>> Yup. The MX5/Miata may have looked a little like an Elan but it was
>> definitely the spiritual successor to the dear old MGB. And there's
>> nothing wrong with that.

> It *is* the spiritual successor to the Elan - that's what it was modelled
> on. Superb handling, decent comfort, good steering, gearbox, brakes and
> willing engine. Not just out and out performance, but fun to drive.

Yes, I can see that. However, I was thinking more along the lines of
'reliable, all-year ragtop from a major manufacturer; liberal use of the
parts bin for the mechanicals; not blisteringly fast, but huge fun.'

> Really not a lot like a 'B' - however nice they can be. But I always
> thought the Spriget a better car than the B.

So did I. I was very fond of my bro's little Series II Midget. It was
a better car than my old Mk II Spit, anyway....

- Robin.

--
Trout: Slightly fishy but never coarse. http://www.troutmag.org

Old June 21st 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

That pun works only in American. Good thing most people here are..

DAS

---

[...]

Old June 21st 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Written version, that is...

DAS

---

Old July 3rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Voinin

On 7/3/2006 7:53 AM, - went clickity-clack on the keyboard and produced
this interesting bit of text:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >,
>> Victor A. Garcia > wrote:
>>> Yup, if you dare to ask .... go get the Miata, it's a nice car.
>>> When you grow up, drive a BMW, after that, you'll never ask again.

>> You mean the Z4 is an old man's car? The MX5 certainly ain't.
>>

> Guess you guys (or gals) have not had the chance to drive a 04-05
> Mazdaspeed MX-5 with factory intercooled turbo. A real blast. Factory stock
> it is faster than the Z4 2.5, and with a few mods considerably faster than
> the 3.0. It will handely out accellerate the Z cars up to its RPM limited
> top speed of 130 MPH. It was only sold in US, Canada and Japan. as a bonus,
> with the performance mods, it is still considerably cheaper that the BMW
> and certainly a more drivers orientated car. And before you slam me for
> praising it over the Z, I own and love both cars. The MX-5 is akin to a go-
> cart for having fun, where the Z is more of a touring car with a drop-top.
> When the weather permits, I find I reach for the MX-5 keys more than the
> Z's.

I'm certainly not going to dispute your opinion, and frankly, I don't
really have an opinion about which is better. However, speed is really
a non-issue, isn't it? My '94 530i has a top speed of 145. I'm not
sure I've even hit 100 in it since I got it 2 years ago. I'd LOVE to
see how it'd do at top speed, not to mention how I'd do. But where can
I do this? Even Montana cops will bust you if you do around 100.

Unless you meant speed while cornering or other maneuvering.

--
When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces, I just know
they're about to jab me with something.
Old July 3rd 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rex B[_1_]

Voinin wrote:

> I'm certainly not going to dispute your opinion, and frankly, I don't
> really have an opinion about which is better. However, speed is really
> a non-issue, isn't it? My '94 530i has a top speed of 145. I'm not
> sure I've even hit 100 in it since I got it 2 years ago. I'd LOVE to
> see how it'd do at top speed, not to mention how I'd do. But where can
> I do this? Even Montana cops will bust you if you do around 100.
>
> Unless you meant speed while cornering or other maneuvering.

I don't think ultimate top speed was the comparison being made. It
rarely is, as it's both scary and boring at the same time.

But if you really want to run your car at it's top speed, there are ways
to do it. Several organizations have open road challenge events, where
they get permission to close off a public road, then entrants can drive
their cars at top speed for 60 - 90 miles or so. The oldest of these is
the Silver State Challenge in Nevada. Similar events are held in Texas,
with one near Midland.
And by the way, there is an unused test track complex near Pecos
Texas, which includes a 10 mile oval, with banking calculated to require
minimum steering input to stay on course. It's flat-out all the way
around, for anything on 4 wheels short of a Bonneville streamliner.
Now, getting permission to run on it might be another matter. Last
I heard it had been transferred to the City of Pecos to do with it what
they will. They were shopping it around for someone to operate it as a
test track.